• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

#16 and #22

A ton of optimism around the Huskers this season! So where are we at? Need to find solid SS and 3B, (I think the ingredients are already on the team). Last seasons weekend pitching rotation AND closer still on roster, with lots of young new arms who will push for innings. Gotta replace Ryan Boldt, but I think Jake Meyers is all over that (when he's not pitching).

Where I hope we see improvement is at the plate. It was hard watching our hitting go into hiding for long stretches at some points, especially during the B1G tournament and the regional. Schreiber was hot the 2nd half of the season 'till injury took him out late. Big Ben wasn't bad, but frustrating sometimes. I hoping as a senior he takes a big step up. (Think of the potential power there if he puts it together). Meyers was pretty damn good at the plate. Darin has been consistent in putting a good defensive fielding team out there. As a fan, I'd love to see our bats kick up a notch.

Thoughts? I know some of y'all have baseball in your DNA and are closer to the team. Where do you feel the potential in this seasons team is? I just know I'm ready for the season to start!
:Gobigred:

Last edited:
Pitching is where it starts and ends for me, and the Skers should be deep on the mound. Hopefully "senior" leadership is good also, considering this is probably Meyers last year...

When you are scoring under 4 runs per game in college baseball, thats not good no matter what time of year it is.
They are 6 games in in February. First month of the season, 6 games in makes the stat irrelevant. Would be like watching a guy at the YMCA sink 2/3 3 pointers and automatically thinking he's a good 3 point shooter. It may end up being correct, but it's no indication of anything currently.

This baseball board is funny. So up after a good weekend series, Erstad isn't the right guy after a bad weekend series. Wait til the end of March then start trying to form what's good and bad about the team.

Last edited:

They are 6 games in in February. First month of the season, 6 games in makes the stat irrelevant. Would be like watching a guy at the YMCA sink 2/3 3 pointers and automatically thinking he's a good 3 point shooter. It may end up being correct, but it's no indication of anything currently.

This baseball board is funny. So up after a good weekend series, Erstad isn't the right guy after a bad weekend series. Wait til the end of March then start trying to form what's good and bad about the team.

Yes, it is commonly quite bi-polar. Actually, all baseball fans at all levels are this way. Well, maybe any sport.

I have the same mentality this season at this point as I did last. I remain skeptical. Not pessimistic, but definitely concerned. And I don't know that Nebraska needs to be a #16 or #22 team in the nation to be successful in 2017. But they do need to improve on last season's post-season belly flops. And it would have been nice to have started better than 2-4 -- especially considering our next three games will all be major challenges. You can't keep losing to the big boys if you wish to be considered a quality team. But I do agree, it's a long road ahead.

Losing four of the first six isn't a big deal but not scoring runs for a team that has been struggling in that area for quite some time now is. You can slap lipstick on this pig all that you want to but the fact remains that they need to get the bats going.

Currently 2-4 record. They better somehow find a way to win real quick if they want that prediction to come true!

2/17 UC Riverside# L 4-3
2/17 UC Riverside# W 5-4
2/23 Oregon State† L 10-1
2/24 Utah† L 7-5
2/25 Oregon State† L 5-2
2/26 Utah† W 4-3

Read more at http://www.huskermax.com/baseball/#YrbBzILW1qlYKYq9.99
They have two split series with legit baseball programs and a bad loss to Oregon State, and let's keep in mind that this is entirely a road record. It's baseball; thus far too early to be making blanket statements about the team. We aren't even in March yet!

They have two split series with legit baseball programs and a bad loss to Oregon State, and let's keep in mind that this is entirely a road record. It's baseball; thus far too early to be making blanket statements about the team. We aren't even in March yet!
Both teams have been on the road in all six games.

Losing four of the first six isn't a big deal but not scoring runs for a team that has been struggling in that area for quite some time now is. You can slap lipstick on this pig all that you want to but the fact remains that they need to get the bats going.
Agree on the 2-4 record, but calling our run scoring a pig after 6 games is jumping to conclusions.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back