• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

“Voluntarily skipping the bowl game”

Would anyone have blamed TL if he sat out the last 4 or 5 games once it was obvious NU had no shot at the West or a meaningful bowl?

Something needs to be done, but it would need to be done on the NFL side; and why would they care? They want these players as healthy and ready as possible for their rookie season.

Would anyone have blamed TL if he sat out the last 4 or 5 games once it was obvious NU had no shot at the West or a meaningful bowl?

Something needs to be done, but it would need to be done on the NFL side; and why would they care? They want these players as healthy and ready as possible for their rookie season.

Strawman argument, TL is not projected anywhere near a first round pick much less a top 10.

C

It just makes me worry about the game I love. It diminishes the bowl aspect of CFB and thereby diminishes the game. Makes playing the game seem more mercenary. I wish all players just played for the love of the game, their school, the fans, and their team mates. I guess that's a thing of the past.

It just makes me worry about the game I love. It diminishes the bowl aspect of CFB and thereby diminishes the game. Makes playing the game seem more mercenary. I wish all players just played for the love of the game, their school, the fans, and their team mates. I guess that's a thing of the past.
Nah...always been that way.

When a player knows the universities are making millions off of them and your told give your all for your school etc and you have a chance now to make bank yourself.....????

Nah...always been that way.

When a player knows the universities are making millions off of them and your told give your all for your school etc and you have a chance now to make bank yourself.....????
Isn't a football team sort of like a military unit, though? I know the stakes are not nearly as high, but shouldn't you want to be there to help your brothers?

But meaningless games are meaningless games, and career ending injuries can happen at any time.
They keep score and the result is added to the team's won-loss total and impacts the final ratings. So a bowl game isn't completely meaningless.

Not necessarily. Bowls want teams that travel well. When directional university in a small conference gets a chance to show its kids a fun time, which certainly wouldn’t hurt recruiting and may not be an assumed yearly event, those teams would likely travel better. Do we really believe UCLA is going to be jazzed to head to Shreveport?

And I do believe it actually hurts those who achieved to earn a bowl game. .500? Seriously? I was embarrassed when the Huskers got to go with a horrible record. 6-6 isn’t an achievement.

Ask Miami Ohio the year it went 10-1 and beat North Carolina only to watch 6-5 UNC get picked for a bowl game while Miami stayed home

Bowl games became perverse in the 1970's when administrative types used the football teams for a free vacation and then demanded absurd amenities. It's only got worse. Bowl games are a net loss for most teams still because of the cost to have all the parasites in tow.

Playing in warm weather during the holiday is preferable, but there's been a ridiculous number of cold weather bowls. I loved playing football in the fall and spring, but between Thanksgiving and Valentine's Day, playing ball in frozen tundra sucks donkey balls.

If the season could skip that slice of the year save for maybe a game played in California, Arizona, Florida, or Hawaii; I think few players would fret. Playing a bowl in Detroit, Idaho, or New Jersey in late December cannot be near as satisfying.

If a kid opted out of a major bowl that mattered, I wouldn’t even draft the kid as an NFL GM. That said, their are some baaaad bowl games out there that don’t matter. Skipping bowl games like the Raycom Media Camelia Bowl, the Cheribundi Tart Cherry Boca Raton Bowl, or the Bad Boy Mower Gasparilla Bowl doesn’t register any outrage on my part. I have a hard time wondering why some of these games are even played.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back