• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

“Voluntarily skipping the bowl game”

WestTexasHusker

All Legend
10 Year Member
Starting to see a rash of this. Players who are entering the draft skipping the bowl. My question is, why didn’t you also skip the last game of the season? Or second to last, or third to last?

I wonder if we are going to see more of this - draft prospects skipping bowl games and greatly affecting their respective teams?

Maybe the school should skip out on them and say “gee, you’ll owe us a refund for this year’s scholarship we gave you.”

I can’t stand that either. They could always pull a Nate Gerry — skip some classes and go the ineligible route :Facepalm:

I’m guessing most of the quitters are planning to try for the No Fun League. If I was an NFL evaluator, I’d be looking long and hard at whether these guys had other instances of quitting on the team in their history.

Starting to see a rash of this. Players who are entering the draft skipping the bowl. My question is, why didn’t you also skip the last game of the season? Or second to last, or third to last?

I wonder if we are going to see more of this - draft prospects skipping bowl games and greatly affecting their respective teams?

Maybe the school should skip out on them and say “gee, you’ll owe us a refund for this year’s scholarship we gave you.”
I agree, money is taking over and it's sad. There was a player last night for UCLA I believe, announcers said they talked to him and he stated he wouldn't miss a bowl game for the world. That's the mentality that should be spread throughout. The reason I don't watch much NFL ball is that's how most of them act and it sucks. Go play!

It's a very disturbing trend and further cheapens bowl games. It's hard for me to understand players blowing off their own teammates? I suppose it's no surprise with the... ME ME ME and more ME generation that's so prevalent with many people today.

And then in the NFL, you’ve got the Steelers contemplating resting starters because they are IN the playoffs, while the Cowboys are contemplating resting the starts because they are OUT of the playoffs.

What the hell is going on here ?

I've come around on it for someone that is a top round draft pick, in a meaningless bowl game. Risking millions and starting your NFL career off trying to rehab and not be yourself. That being said, if we start seeing people sitting out the CFP or things like that, I would worry.

However, we've had players from Nebraska (not necessarily in football) fake injuries and what not to help preserve their draft status and money. It's happened for a lot longer than people know.

It’s a troubling trend for fans and the teams themselves, but I do not know what the solution could be. You can’t force a guy to play. Maybe start adding a clause in the schollie that if medically cleared and you don’t play, you repay the schollie at the schools discretion. Obviously there could be situations where that may not be appropriate. It wouldn’t be much of a penalty to someone going to the NFL, but it’s something.

And then in the NFL, you’ve got the Steelers contemplating resting starters because they are IN the playoffs, while the Cowboys are contemplating resting the starts because they are OUT of the playoffs.

What the hell is going on here ?

Happens in every pro sport. Yet another reason why I prefer college sports.

It's so easy for us to be critics. But...what would you really do? The NFL money has simply become too much to ignore.

Imagine growing up in a poor family, where you're barely scraping by week to week on a small paycheck. Then, you've put a resume together that will let you lift not only yourself but your family from poverty. You just need to get drafted. Now you're in a meaningless bowl game as a 7-5 team. Do you want to play with your teammates and risk injury, knowing that a serious injury could cost you everything, or skip it for the guaranteed money?

If I was a coach, and I truly cared about my players, I would completely understand if a kid decided to not play. As a bonus, I'd know that the kid was leaving, and would appreciate the chance to get the returning players reps.

It's so easy for us to be critics. But...what would you really do? The NFL money has simply become too much to ignore.

Imagine growing up in a poor family, where you're barely scraping by week to week on a small paycheck. Then, you've put a resume together that will let you lift not only yourself but your family from poverty. You just need to get drafted. Now you're in a meaningless bowl game as a 7-5 team. Do you want to play with your teammates and risk injury, knowing that a serious injury could cost you everything, or skip it for the guaranteed money?

If I was a coach, and I truly cared about my players, I would completely understand if a kid decided to not play. As a bonus, I'd know that the kid was leaving, and would appreciate the chance to get the returning players reps.

You mean to tell me that the Great Clips Foster Farms bowl is meaningless ? Blasphemy !

I fully agree that it cheapens the Bowl games and looks selfish, but look at last year's Michigan team. Jake Butt, a highly regarded tight end prospect tore his ACL which cost him in the draft. He ended up going in the 5th round, much later than he could have, and did not play this year. Meanwhile Jabrill Peppers missed the same game with an "injury" and was a first rounder.

It's a tough call, you never know what could happen.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back