• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

WBB Game #18, (W, 63-57), Sun, 1/20, vs Minnesota, (13-4) (2-4), @ PBA, 5:00pm CT, ESPN2

Red Don

Tiger
Staff member
10 Year Member
Huskers Surge Past No. 23 Minnesota
http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211787212
Lincoln - Hannah Whitish and Taylor Kissinger combined for 19 points in the fourth quarter, while Nicea Eliely sparked the Huskers with five steals in the final period, as Nebraska stormed back from a nine-point deficit with less than eight minutes to play for a 63-57 women's basketball win over No. 23 Minnesota at Pinnacle Bank Arena on Sunday evening.

Freshman Sam Haiby, a 5-9 guard from Moorhead, Minn., capped Nebraska's 25-11 fourth-quarter outburst with the game's final four points in the last 20 seconds to seal the win over the Golden Gophers. Haiby matched Minnesota's first-team All-Big Ten senior point guard Kenisha Bell for game-high scoring honors with 16.

Nebraska improved to 4-3 in the Big Ten and 9-9 overall with its first win over a top-25 opponent this season, while Minnesota slipped to 2-5 in the conference and 13-5 overall.

Nebraska, which trailed 46-38 at the end of three quarters, got its first three-pointer of the game from Kissinger to open the fourth quarter. The Huskers, who averaged 7.5 threes per game coming into the contest, were 0-for-7 from long range against the Gophers in the first 30 minutes.

However, Minnesota answered with baskets from Jasmine Brunson and Kenisha Bell to take its biggest lead at 50-41 with 7:47 to play. Haiby finished a layup to cut the margin before Whitish trimmed the lead to 50-45 with 6:24 left and force a timeout by Minnesota.

The Gophers then got their second three-pointer of the game, a right wing triple from Destiny Pitts to regain a 53-45 margin with six minutes left. That was the last field goal of the game for Minnesota, as Nebraska's 1-3-1 defense shut down the Gophers from the field the rest of the way and shut out Minnesota entirely for the last four minutes.

In fact, in the final six minutes Minnesota only got a missed three-pointer from Brunson with 3:52 left to the rim, as the Huskers forced five Minnesota turnovers and blocked two shots down the stretch. Eliely got four of her career-high six steals during the final six minutes, while Kissinger and Ashtyn Veerbeek both recorded big blocked shots for the Big Red.

Meanwhile, the Huskers answered with a three-point play from Kissinger with 5:48 left, followed by two three-pointers from Whitish and another three-pointer from Kissinger to tie the game at 57 and force another timeout by Minnesota with 3:03 left.

In the final three minutes, Minnesota got no shots to the rim while Whitish and Haiby combined to go 4-for-4 at the line and Haiby all but clinched the Husker victory with a strong drive and finish with 19.5 seconds left. Nebraska outscored the Gophers 18-4 in the final six minutes and 25-11 in the fourth quarter, while closing the game on a 12-0 run.

Husker Ladies (8-9) (3-3)

Next-Up:
Sun, 1/20, vs Minnesota, (13-4) (2-4), @ PBA, 5:00pm CT, ESPN2

Huskers Shoot for Upset of Top 25 Minnesota

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~GOOOOOO LADY :Huskers:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

:Hooray: LET'S PACK PBA & GET 'ROWDY'!!!! :pirate: MAKE THE DIFFERENCE - BEAT THE GOPHERS!!!!! :Hooray:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GRIT; NO QUIT LADY HUSKERS!!

o Huskers Game Page: http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211786990

o VIDEO: ESPN2 (tv) - http://www.espn.com/watch/
Announcers: LaChina Robinson and Tiffany Greene

o Audio Links:
(TuneIn: https://tunein.com/radio/Husker-IMG-Sports-Network-s230240/?_branch_match_id=586027771734753162)

(Huskers.com: http://www.huskers.com/liveEvents/liveEvents.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=100&DB_OEM_ID=100&DB_OEM_ID=100
Matt Coatney & Jeff Griesch on the Call

o Live Game Stats:

http://www.huskers.com/liveStats/liveStats.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&DB_OEM_ID=100

o Game Notes: http://www.huskers.com/pdf9/5481484.pdf
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Nebraska is coming off a strong 77-67 road win at Illinois Thursday, while Minnesota completed a season series sweep with a a 78-50 win at Wisconsin. Minnesota lost to Illinois 66-62 in Minneapolis. The Gophers also lost to Michigan 76-60 in Ann Arbor three days after the Huskers ran to a 70-56 win over the Wolverines in Lincoln.

• Minnesota will be Nebraska’s fourth ranked opponent in the past five games. The Golden Gophers come to Lincoln at No. 23 in the AP Poll and No. 25 in the USA Today Coaches Poll, after climbing as high as No. 12 in the rankings after opening 12-0.

• Last week, the Huskers suffered home losses to current No. 9 Maryland and No. 20 Rutgers at Pinnacle Bank Arena. The Big Red also suffered a narrow 77-71 road loss at current No. 22 Iowa, which rolled to an 81-63 win at Minnesota on Monday night.

• Minnesota will be Nebraska’s seventh opponent ranked in the top 25 this season (Drake, Miami, Louisville, Iowa, Maryland, Rutgers). The Big Ten has six teams ranked in this week’s Associated Press Top 25 (No. 9 Maryland, No. 17 Michigan State, No. 20 Rutgers, No. 22 Iowa, No. 23 Minnesota and No. 25 Indiana).

Scouting The Minnesota Golden Gophers

• Head coach Lindsay Whalen brings her first Minnesota team to Lincoln trying to build momentum after snapping a four-game losing streak with a 78-50 win at Wisconsin on Thursday.

• Minnesota is led by first-team All-Big Ten senior point guard Kenisha Bell, who is averaging 19.1 points, 6.1 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 2.2 steals. Bell is shooting just 25 percent (7-28) from three-point range and 68.9 percent at the free throw line.

• Junior guard Jasmine Brunson has hit 11-of-30 threes (.367) on the year. Brunson is averaging 8.0 points, 2.2 rebounds and 3.0 assists on the season.

• Sophomore guard/forward Destiny Pitts leads Minnesota with 34 threes on the year but has knocked down just 30.9 percent (34-110) of her long-range attempts. Pitts ranks second among the Gophers with 12.6 points per game, while adding 3.7 rebounds and 2.4 assists.

• Minnesota’s inside starters are Annalese Lamke and Taiye Bello. Lamke, a 6-3 senior center, is averaging 11.4 points and 6.0 rebounds while shooting 56.2 percent from the field. Bello, a 6-2 junior forward, averages double figures with 10.8 points and a team-best 12.1 rebounds. Bello has hit 56.1 percent of her shots and leads the Gophers with 22 blocks on the year.

• As a team, Minnesota is shooting 30.3 percent (73-241) from beyond the three-point arc, including just 25.9 percent (21-81) through six Big Ten games.

Last edited:
I like our chances here. :Cheer2: This is may be a silly question, but how is Minnesota ranked #23 (AP) & #25 (Coaches) with a 2-4 Conference Record. Are they ready for a fall? (in Lincoln :Biggrin:)

:Gobigred:

Last edited:
Nebraska is coming off a strong 77-67 road win at Illinois Thursday, while Minnesota completed a season series sweep with a a 78-50 win at Wisconsin. Minnesota lost to Illinois 66-62 in Minneapolis. The Gophers also lost to Michigan 76-60 in Ann Arbor three days after the Huskers ran to a 70-56 win over the Wolverines in Lincoln.

• Minnesota will be Nebraska’s fourth ranked opponent in the past five games. The Golden Gophers come to Lincoln at No. 23 in the AP Poll and No. 25 in the USA Today Coaches Poll, after climbing as high as No. 12 in the rankings after opening 12-0.

• Last week, the Huskers suffered home losses to current No. 9 Maryland and No. 20 Rutgers at Pinnacle Bank Arena. The Big Red also suffered a narrow 77-71 road loss at current No. 22 Iowa, which rolled to an 81-63 win at Minnesota on Monday night.

Great. I now know just as much as I did before I read this. :wow:

Please tell me we have a chance...I think we do...aww heck, I say YES!!!, we have a chance. :Biggrin:

Thanks Red Don. :thumbsup:

LET'S GO CORNHUSKERS!!!

:Balloons: :Cheer2: :Huskers: :Cheer2: :Balloons:

:Shout: :Banana: :Mfclap: :Corn2: :Rockon: :Hooray:

Great. I now know just as much as I did before I read this. :wow:

I know exactly what you mean! :confused: You shouldda read it Before I edited it from all the superfluous information on the Huskers.com Game Page. Talk about being confused. :Biggrin:

I like our chances for the win. It would be a good time for us to have a 'Breakout' Game when everything comes together (on National TV). :nod:

Last edited:
First Quarter Stats:

upload_2019-1-20_15-22-44.png

Half time Stats: Minny makes the only trey of the day at last second to take a 1 point Half time lead.

upload_2019-1-20_15-49-48.png

Garrido perez averages 1.5 ppg and she pops a 3 @ the half time buzzer for a 1 pt. lead for UM. 27-26

shaking-head-sad-smiley-emoticon.gif

...and there were 11 lead changes in the 1st half. 7 of them were when the score was still only 7-8 NU.

Last edited:

Annoyed by the announcing. I call it Musberger syndrome...they have their Minny stories and could care less what is actually happening in the game. Not helping my mood that we seem to throw the ball away whenever we seem to start getting some momentum.

got it to within 55-51, then foul their star on a three point shot with shot clock running out...

4:03 to play, Husker trail 57=51

Whitish heating up...has just hit two three pointers in a row. 57-54 with 3:30 to play.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back