• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

RB turns down 70 million contract

joncarl

Nobody important
15 Year Member
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...-down-5-year-dollar70-million-deal/ar-AAAaHRs

For me, this is another reason to stop supporting the NFL. For the last 2 years I have watched, at best 30 minutes total of NFL football for various reasons. I get the NFL owners make a bunch of money, I get all the reasons the players feel they are entitled to making a lot of money, I just can't support it. I am glad Pittsburgh (which was my team since the early 70's) refused to pay him what he wanted, while I never wish anybody any ill will, I hope no one signs this guy next year. If he was smart he would have squirreled away enough to live extremely well for the rest of his life. Just losing touch with these pro athletes.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...-down-5-year-dollar70-million-deal/ar-AAAaHRs

For me, this is another reason to stop supporting the NFL. For the last 2 years I have watched, at best 30 minutes total of NFL football for various reasons. I get the NFL owners make a bunch of money, I get all the reasons the players feel they are entitled to making a lot of money, I just can't support it. I am glad Pittsburgh (which was my team since the early 70's) refused to pay him what he wanted, while I never wish anybody any ill will, I hope no one signs this guy next year. If he was smart he would have squirreled away enough to live extremely well for the rest of his life. Just losing touch with these pro athletes.
I get where you're coming from but the details of Pittsburgh's offer are sparse; might have been something else other than dollar amount that spooked Bell.

Last edited:
I get where you're coming from but the details of Pittsburgh's offer are sparse; might have been something else other than dollar amount that spooked Bell.

you are right don't know all the particulars, but I have followed this since this will be his second go around with the franchise tag. Bell has made it well known that he wants to be paid as a wr and rb and the highest paid at that. He did have 85 receptions in addition to his rushing yds. Not sure on all the guarantees but I would be willing to bet with him it is 99% about the money. Not disputing that this cat is something special. I just can't fathom turning something like this down. Good luck to him.

Good for him. I can agree that professional athletes' salaries often seem to be way out of whack when compared to "ordinary" jobs. However, the market is what it is and I don't blame a guy for trying to squeeze every dime he can out of it, especially when your earning power decreases exponentially once you hit 29.

Good for him. I can agree that professional athletes' salaries often seem to be way out of whack when compared to "ordinary" jobs. However, the market is what it is and I don't blame a guy for trying to squeeze every dime he can out of it, especially when your earning power decreases exponentially once you hit 29.
And also especially when your brain might be mush at age 45.

The only amount in an NFL contract that matters is the guaranteed amount. He could break his leg the day after signing the deal and would only get the $10 million. The $70 million is gone. If he wants to risk getting through this year to get a better contract I don't see how it's anyone else's business to criticize him. If he gets to next season healthy he will probably sign a contract with closer to $25-35 million guaranteed.

The only amount in an NFL contract that matters is the guaranteed amount. He could break his leg the day after signing the deal and would only get the $10 million. The $70 million is gone. If he wants to risk getting through this year to get a better contract I don't see how it's anyone else's business to criticize him. If he gets to next season healthy he will probably sign a contract with closer to $25-35 million guaranteed.

I could still live on 10 million pretty easy, but your right the guaranty is the main thing, again he is doing what he thinks is best for him and I don't blame him, but the way I look at it is, he wants more guaranteed money and IF he breaks his leg he wants to be paid for not doing his job. Take out an insurance policy with some of that 10 million, protect yourself that way.

My boss doesn't guaranty me any money for not doing my job, why should he get money for not doing his job, just because he is playing a game. I would get disability if I am hurt on the job not a hand out from my employer.

The market for a RB is under $10M and he was offered $14M.

The market for arguably the most complete running back in the game is higher than that. This guy is a market mover. He's going to get his $14.5 this year and I'm guessing he'll get a 3 year deal next year with a fat guarantee.

You are right, but he as argued that he is actually the best RB and WR so he should be paid for the sake of argument as both, like 8 mill for RB and another 6-8 mill for WR. I don't remember who for sure it was but at one point there was a tight end that because he was flexed out quite a bit wanted to be considered at WR so he could be paid more. I don't blame the players for wanting their share and get what they can while they can, but I just can't fathom the dollars they are talking. I get football is a tough sport and there are dangers for them but from the owners on down maybe they all need a little dose of reality.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back