• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Þórir Þorbjarnarson u20 FIBA EU Championship

HuSkaBob

Husker Geek
10 Year Member
Thorir Thorbjarnarson is playing for Iceland right now. He's doing okay, but not as good as I would expect for a D1 player in an under 20 tournament.

http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u20/2018/team/Iceland

http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u20/2018/player/Thorir-G--Thorbjarnarson

The Icelander's first names are on the back of their jerseys. Thorir wears number 9. He's got a 2:1 assist to turnover ratio, BUT he looked super nervous at the beginning of the Italy game. He made a nice outlet pass, then threw up a long 3 point airball and got a silly ball handling turnover. He still was going for rebounds and handling the ball, but looked gun-shy on offense.

I was hoping to see a more polished player, but not in the Italy game. I haven't watched the other two games yet.

Last edited:

Iceland lost each of its games by about 30. Thor was never the high scorer or high rebounder. He did lead the team in assists. Iceland looks like a team that can hang for the first quarter or so, then gets buried. Thor seems to be covered at the three point line, so he shoots from 3-5 feet behind it. Maybe he's the target of each defense, which wouldn't be that surprising. Still, he's not been good enough to carry his team or really even stand out on the video I have seen.

They play Germany on Wednesday, and that should do it. Thor can come back to Nebraska and work on everything that he needs to... a lot. I really wanted to see something there that would lead me to believe that he's better than everyone in Nebraska last year. He looked better in Nebraska's offense the one game he played when his parents were in town, so maybe that is something to be positive about.

I watched the Germany - Iceland game today, and it was painful.

Good: The game didn't last long.

Bad: Playing the home team at home.

Thorir looked frustrated again, but this time it was that the rest of the team couldn't do anything against the much bigger, stronger, and athletic German team. It was a little like watching Nebraska with Richard Van Poelgeest as one of their best options (nothing against Richard, Nebraska was a bad team playing against really good ones).

This game I felt that Thor was the best player on Iceland's team, and everything went through him. He was getting assists, and should have had 3-5 more on layups that should have been made (would have been made by better players). He also was the best defender, and was an opportunistic rebounder. For all that, he still didn't look like he stood out. There were better athletes on Germany, and better basketball players. I hope Thorir can become a spot up shooter and help stretch the floor for UNL. He certainly wasn't able to get to where he could make shots (9% from 3pt over 4 games).

Iceland is done in this tournament, so hopefully Thor can get back to Lincoln to work out with the team and find a niche.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back