• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The Miles Enigma

Got close this year - need to sustain/improve next year.... agree with the OP premise, hard to imagine TM taking DONU to the next level.

but I for one am hoping for more than simply bluebird-level success... need to aim higher - for crying out loud, even nearby neighbors K-State & Wichita State have been to multiple final fours.
At some point every program's "demands" evolve. Right now just getting to the NCAA seems like it's "good enough". Make a few then WINNING NCAA games becomes the demand. Then making the second weekend. Etc.

the "bluebird" fans aren't real happy right now. They've reached one level. Making the dance. Winning the occasional game. There is a level of discontent right now that I haven't seen in a while. And that's healthy IMO. But I digress...

At some point every program's "demands" evolve. Right now just getting to the NCAA seems like it's "good enough". Make a few then WINNING NCAA games becomes the demand. Then making the second weekend. Etc.

the "bluebird" fans aren't real happy right now. They've reached one level. Making the dance. Winning the occasional game. There is a level of discontent right now that I haven't seen in a while. And that's healthy IMO. But I digress...
It's reality. I'd love to have that problem. I don't think Nebraska fans would be satisfied with not improving. Nebraska fans, they like to blow up the status quo and hope that things get better (Frank Solich, Bo Pelini). And to be fair, I think that is fans in general, with people wanting immediate gratification (and let's be honest, it's just a game). I'm pretty leery about assuming that whoever comes after Miles will do a better job: the only person who has done much better in the past 50 years was not popular here (Moe Iba). So this is why you get the big bucks to be AD: do you think Miles is going to do better next year (yes), in three years (no), in five years (who knows)?

Last edited:
It's reality. I'd love to have that problem. I don't think Nebraska fans would be satisfied with not improving. Nebraska fans, they like to blow up the status quo and hope that things get better (Frank Solich, Bo Pelini). And to be fair, I think that is fans in general, with people wanting immediate gratification (and let's be honest, it's just a game). I'm pretty leery about assuming that whoever comes after Miles will do a better job: the only person who has done much better in the past 50 years was not popular here (Moe Iba). So this is why you get the big bucks to be AD: do you think Miles is going to do better next year (yes), in three years (no), in five years (who knows)?

I'll answer the bold. And my answer is "no". Is he the coach that won roughly 30-35% of his big 10 games or is he the coach of the hot team in 14 and the one that went 13-5 this year?

I don't believe he is any different this year than he was in past years. He had the good fortune of a very very favorable schedule and...this he gets credit for...a better roster. Next year will be VERY telling. He will in all likelihood have the same roster...if Copeland goes away so be it...it's his job to put a team together. If he has another good year against what will likely be a much tougher schedule and makes the dance....then there ya go. He's got something going. If he reverts back to the norm...35% in conference you kick him straight to the curb.

I'll answer the bold. And my answer is "no". Is he the coach that won roughly 30-35% of his big 10 games or is he the coach of the hot team in 14 and the one that went 13-5 this year?

I don't believe he is any different this year than he was in past years. He had the good fortune of a very very favorable schedule and...this he gets credit for...a better roster. Next year will be VERY telling. He will in all likelihood have the same roster...if Copeland goes away so be it...it's his job to put a team together. If he has another good year against what will likely be a much tougher schedule and makes the dance....then there ya go. He's got something going. If he reverts back to the norm...35% in conference you kick him straight to the curb.

A lot to agree with here ...

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back