• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

BEER!

Nice, Crab. Coupla those and I'll bet you feel like getting your polka on! OoomPahPah OoomPahPah...

So as I was riding my bike today I got to thinking about the strain. Do you feel it? Not THAT strain... the strain of not knowing what beers to take to Thanksgiving dinner. Been there. Done that. Here's my take based on 2 criteria
1) You don't want to ruin your palate with aggressive heavily hopped brews early in the day
2) Pace yourself. You don't want your relatives to find you dead in the gravy boat.

So here's my Thanksgiving Day Beer Survival Guide:
Before meal: Start with some nice Saisons of you like them. Nice balanced IPAs will also pair with your appetizers
Meal: Keep on the malty or fruity side to compliment the meal flavors so Pale Ales, Porters, Oktoberfest leftovers like Marzens. Maybe a Belgian Tripel.
Afterwards: Bring on the heavy. Stouts and anything with Imperial or Bourbon in the name or style. Be sure to play the game 'Cards Against Humanity' at this time. It is a game for horrible people and you will laugh your ass off.

Happy Thanksgiving to you Beeraholics!

Nice, Crab. Coupla those and I'll bet you feel like getting your polka on! OoomPahPah OoomPahPah...

So as I was riding my bike today I got to thinking about the strain. Do you feel it? Not THAT strain... the strain of not knowing what beers to take to Thanksgiving dinner. Been there. Done that. Here's my take based on 2 criteria
1) You don't want to ruin your palate with aggressive heavily hopped brews early in the day
2) Pace yourself. You don't want your relatives to find you dead in the gravy boat.

So here's my Thanksgiving Day Beer Survival Guide:
Before meal: Start with some nice Saisons of you like them. Nice balanced IPAs will also pair with your appetizers
Meal: Keep on the malty or fruity side to compliment the meal flavors so Pale Ales, Porters, Oktoberfest leftovers like Marzens. Maybe a Belgian Tripel.
Afterwards: Bring on the heavy. Stouts and anything with Imperial or Bourbon in the name or style. Be sure to play the game 'Cards Against Humanity' at this time. It is a game for horrible people and you will laugh your ass off.

Happy Thanksgiving to you Beeraholics!

First, what kind of bike.
Next, that’s some solid advice. Not sure what my drink menu is going to be for thanksgiving. We have a bunch of people coming over so I’m leaning toward either Old Fashions or Manhattans but I do have ipas and stouts in the fridge. I may just stick with wine or scotch.

First things first, Bug: I'm a bike commuter. Being in Santa Barbara there's literally 300+ riding days/year and I ride about 1/3 of them. It's just under 10 miles to work so my bike is a utility vehicle. About 10 years ago I bought a standard mid-range Kona Dew Deluxe, a hybrid mountain bike. I actually thought I'd trail ride but I don't. After a couple of years I upped it a bit with WTB All Mountain rims and Gatorskin tires, better disc brakes and crank. That thing is a workhorse. I love my ride! Next rim replacements I may pass that one on and step it up a tier.

As for the drinking of course the beauty of this is there is no wrong answer. If my family room wasn't torn down the the stubs I'd likely be entertaining tomorrow and would pick up some of the Mixed 12 pack sets because they cover the whole style range in that one box. Great Divide Candemonium, Sierra Nevada Fall or Variety Pack. So many good choices and I have no problem drinking the leftovers.

Happy Drinking!

This is delicious! A Black IPA. Very well done...burrrrrrpppp.
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/06/lagunitas-nighttime-black-ipa-review.html
Lagunitas-Nighttime-1.jpg

Switched from Founders All Day Pale Ale to Founders Centennial IPA. Liking the Centennial a bit better; but, both have been good.

Centennial-IPA-Bottle-92x285.png

Switched from Founders All Day Pale Ale to Founders Centennial IPA. Liking the Centennial a bit better; but, both have been good.

Centennial-IPA-Bottle-92x285.png
I’m just learning about Founders but I really like them. I had some of the Breakfast Stout last night on recommendation from someone in this thread and it was excellent. I’ll have to try the centennial.

Founders most definitely brews some fine suds.

I just bought a sixer of Voodoo Ranger, Imperial IPA. It's a strong brew at 9.0%... I didn't like it as much as the 7.0% Voodoo Ranger IPA though. I do dig the heck out of their artwork however.
tile1_2017voodoorangerimperialipa.jpg

That Vodoo Ranger Imperial goes on the list. And yeah that artwork is awesome! +1 on the Founder's Centennial and +2 on the Backwoods Bastard.

My fridge stash is now supplemented with Fremont 'Field to Ferment' Fresh Hop IPA, Deschutes Jubelale, Bell's Kalamazoo and more Lagunitas Brown Shugga. I expect this to get me through Moos Season.

A long time friend of mine came into town bearing gifts. This is my favorite American Pilsner and was promptly destroyed. I can't get it in the South, so it's been years since I've had one. One supermarket chain in Virginia carried it for a while, but the explosion of craft beers made it expendable.

thumb_600.jpg

I just cut through all the BS and went straight for the whiskey. After a few, the beer decisions come much easier...

And nearly pointless.
Nah man, when you need a blow, you just switch over and have a few beers. Then...go back to the whiskey. Rinse and repeat as necessary. I was pretty much a blithering idiot (nothing new and I'm pretty good at it) by the time I passed out on the couch. I think the first time I went in for leftovers on Friday was something like 7pm.

Discovered last night that a local place has Founders on tap, including the Brown Shugga. If you're ever passing through Davenport/Bettendorf, Iowa on the way to/from Chicago, Central Standard Burgers is a two minute hop off of I-80 and I'd highly recommend it.

Caveat: I do think they rotate the tap selection; so, I will not guarantee that there will still be Founders available.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back