• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The future of football is bleak...

Name the last NBA player that shot himself in the heart like Dave Duerson or plunged their SUV off a cliff like Junior Seau. Both actions related to CTE.

Mr Google if you want to go random player tragedies - I could flood you with NFL and a few college stories. Best left alone don't you think?

Last I checked, the NFL was alone in admitting a CTE link to their league.

"Name one!"

"OK, here you go."

"Oh, sure, with Google!"

:Clap:

Seriously, with concussions affecting other youth sports at a higher rate than football, and the number of traumatic injuries necessary to cause CTE unknown, there is a lot more work that needs to be done in this regard. I'm fairly certain girls' soccer has a higher concussion rate than does football.

Eventually they will have no choice but to change the game. Participation is declining at the lower levels.

It's sad as I do love the sport, but my wife and I have already decided that our sons will not play. As that sentiment grows, eventually the game will change from what it is now, or eventually disappear.

I had always just assumed my boys would play football, but allowed them to choose their extracurriculars. My oldest is starting CC practice next week, and I couldn't be happier.

Name the last NBA player that shot himself in the heart like Dave Duerson or plunged their SUV off a cliff like Junior Seau. Both actions related to CTE.
Lol - ah yes I've heard this one from suburban mothers as well. "He killed himself and was found to have CTE, thus that's the cause!" As if athletes in other sports haven't committed suicide without having CTE.

It's comical.

Edit: Now I'm questioning if you were being serious with that response after reading more of the thread? Please tell me you weren't.

Last edited:
Lol - ah yes I've heard this one from suburban mothers as well. "He killed himself and was found to have CTE, thus that's the cause!" As if athletes in other sports haven't committed suicide without having CTE.

It's comical.

Edit: Now I'm questioning if you were being serious with that response after reading more of the thread? Please tell me you weren't.
Well...

It's comical.

With all due respect - you have your head in the sand if you don't think CTE was the major contributing factor in those far too early deaths.

Guess you missed the recent news of the NFL player that walked away from the game at age 26 due to that CTE study.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...timore-ravens-john-urschel-retires/index.html

It's like Dan Le Batard said on his national show today - it's quite possible that somewhere in the future, the game will be played by people who have very few choices in life. More thug and gangster type. Those that are smart enough to create a career will bypass the game due to risks of brain damage.

The NFL tried the same path you are doing until the facts became too difficult to ignore. You should study the subject a little further.

So many scare tactics being used it's comical at this point. NBA Finals Lebron James laid motionless on the floor for 5 minutes after getting hit to the head, and stayed in the game. Not as much money in basketball though, can't scare moms as easily.
2 references to scaring moms? Do you have some personal experience here?

With all due respect - you have your head in the sand if you don't think CTE was the major contributing factor in those far too early deaths.

Guess you missed the recent news of the NFL player that walked away from the game at age 26 due to that CTE study.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...timore-ravens-john-urschel-retires/index.html

It's like Dan Le Batard said on his national show today - it's quite possible that somewhere in the future, the game will be played by people who have very few choices in life. More thug and gangster type. Those that are smart enough to create a career will bypass the game due to risks of brain damage.

The NFL tried the same path you are doing until the facts became too difficult to ignore. You should study the subject a little further.
2 references to scaring moms? Do you have some personal experience here?
We are too far apart here. CTE could have been a major factor in the death, or many of the other issues that those people had could have been as well. The ones stating CTE being the culprit as fact and using it as a scare tactic are the ones I worry about.

The game is safer than it has ever been, safer even than when I played it. There are studies that other sports are less safe than football, but people trying to make a buck or scare people ignore them. I'm fine with that.

I saw something about this woodpecker inspired collar on a Saturday morning show not too long ago. Made total sense to me. If anything is going to save football, it will start with figuring out how to stabilize the brain inside your head, and this is a good place to start. Here is a related article:

http://gizmodo.com/this-woodpecker-inspired-collar-could-protect-athletes-1782249329
Funny how nature has already figured out the best solutions. 4 billion years of experience I guess.

Last edited:

We are too far apart here. CTE could have been a major factor in the death, or many of the other issues that those people had could have been as well. The ones stati
ng CTE being the culprit as fact and using it as a scare tactic are the ones I worry about.

The game is safer than it has ever been, safer even than when I played it. There are studies that other sports are less safe than football, but people trying to make a buck or scare people ignore them. I'm fine with that.

You think ex-players are lying to make money and others are in the business of scaring people? Tough to buy when in 2016 the NFL admitted a direct link to CTE and football.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...dmits-theres-a-link-between-cte-and-football/

We'll agree to disagree on the subject. But, the statement 'safer than it's ever been', doesn't make it safe in regards to long term health and repeated blows to the head. It's simply a rationalization.

Who the hell is shocked by these findings? You mean smashing your head into something over and over is bad? Are these the same people who were shocked to find out inhaling smoke into your lungs could like pose a few health risks?

Are there positives to playing football? Heck yeah! It's an awesome sport that teaches you a lot but I think studies like this are good. Even if this was a bad study(as some have said). Then again the whole believing in science thing is so last century.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back