• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

WR coach Keith Williams gets 30 days in jail for his DUI

A couple of comments. First I don't think that jail time cures anyone of alcoholism, and I think many DUIs are a result of that disease (My personal opinion is that repeated DUIs are committed by alcoholics). So stick them in jail since it gives some us some satisfaction -- we punished that guy -- but don't confuse that with making them less likely to drive drunk again. Second, getting a buzz on impairs your ability to drive safely, so "I just had a couple of drinks" can also kill innocent people in the other car. I don't think anyone should drive after even one drink. And finally, what is this with teaching 14 year old kids to drive? I assume that is for emergency situations, not to permit them to drive at that age to the store and get a carton of milk.

Learner's Permits and School Permits allow drivers as young as 14 and 15. There are limitations as when they can drive, where they can drive, for what purpose (often for school functions only), limits on how far they can live from school, and I believe that only family members are allowed as passengers. Not saying though that these permits aren't abused.

Here in Colorado, I see more texting and driving on I-25 than I have ever seen a drunk driver. Not making excuses.

Out of curiosity, what do insurance carriers charge for car insurance when 14 year old drivers have access to the car. I assume some kind of premium.

A couple of comments. First I don't think that jail time cures anyone of alcoholism, and I think many DUIs are a result of that disease (My personal opinion is that repeated DUIs are committed by alcoholics). So stick them in jail since it gives some us some satisfaction -- we punished that guy -- but don't confuse that with making them less likely to drive drunk again. Second, getting a buzz on impairs your ability to drive safely, so "I just had a couple of drinks" can also kill innocent people in the other car. I don't think anyone should drive after even one drink. And finally, what is this with teaching 14 year old kids to drive? I assume that is for emergency situations, not to permit them to drive at that age to the store and get a carton of milk.

In South Dakota, you can get a restricted driver's license at 14 years old. It allows a 14 year old to drive (without a parent or guardian) between the hours of 6am and 10pm.

Last edited:

If I had to make the call, I would have terminated his employment for being a third offense. But it was Mike Riley's decision so be it! I hope he turns his life around and turns into a positive role model. I hate one of his position players also got busted. He better be on a very short leash and he is lucky he got busted in Nebraska. Some states he would have gotten a year in jail or more

Eh... Lost his license for 5 years. That's punishment enough. Looks like he can get ignition interlock which will prevent him from driving drunk. That makes the sentence ok with me. It's kind of interesting that we could basically end duis if we mandated every car have an ignition interlock. I get that's not happening, it's just interesting.

What was the period over which he got the DUIs? If I recall KW were spread out over a 12 year period. The last of which was 7 years prior to this one. That can and should make a difference as to severity.
How many times did he drive while intoxicated vs. The number of times he was caught?

How many times did he drive while intoxicated vs. The number of times he was caught?
77e5df1d20903d3a17b049663a127f1168e82d8ca32e296a6c9b003ab4f47fb4.jpg

According to one study, a first-time drunk-driving offender has already driven drunk more than 80 times before being arrested.

http://facts.randomhistory.com/2009/08/28_drunk-driving.html

Alcoholism is characterized by:
  • a prolonged period of frequent, heavy alcohol use.
  • the inability to control drinking once it has begun.
  • physical dependence manifested by withdrawal symptoms when the individual stops using alcohol.
  • tolerance, or the need to use more and more alcohol to achieve the same effects.
  • a variety of social and/or legal problems arising from alcohol use.
I don't condemn people for tipping a few. But during periods of alcohol consumption, Keith Williams can certainly afford to hire a limo whenever he needs to travel.

Last edited:

When this all went down I decided to accept whatever the courts and Riley/NU deemed to be reasonable punishment. Had they decided to put KW in prison and kick him off the team I would have been pissed, though I would have understood those consequences. They didn't do that and hopefully KW, who, by all accounts is an otherwise great guy, can turn this into a positive experience and maybe one day influence a kid who potentially could have been a drunk driver and save lives that way.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back