• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

This may answer some questions and put a few arguments to rest!

This does offer some great insight into the actual Diaco hiring process. It speaks volumes about how Riley was able to communicate the need and immediate urgency of making the deal NOW. I'm especially impressed the way the 'brass' was able to hear that, jump in and finish it, without balking or stumbling. I think it makes it clear the speed at which it happened and why Banker had to be called on the road, as impersonal as it was.

That Riley and Diaco could just talk football doesn't surprise me. I watched Riley in the ESPN2 Film Room feed for the 2015 College Football Championship game (Bucks vs Ducks) along with Pat Narduzzi and Dan Mullen. I watched that feed almost the entire game and came away convinced the man understood football at an extraordinary level, had an incredible eye for detail and an uncanny ability to communicate it. I didn't want to make any TO comparisons, except that a hallmark of Tom's culture was that the coaches communicated with each other very well. And I felt that Riley would allow that kind of culture to flourish and ultimately make the team more successful. And I still do.
I'm pumped for a resurgence of the Blackshirts under Diaco! :Blackshirts:

Excellent read. As I said in another thread, I think that the Huskers are on the right track to both Conference and National Championships(at least the playoffs) soon. Thanks for posting this article.

Riley echoed that sentiment about Eichorst. It’s a big change for Riley, who wouldn’t have had the kind of money at Oregon State to give a high-demand coordinator like Diaco.

“Shawn stepped up on this one big time when we explained the research we had done on this one and the qualities this guy brings,” Riley said. “And, as you guys know, the landscape out there for these top coordinators is pretty interesting right now. It’s what you’re going to need to do.”

This does offer some great insight into the actual Diaco hiring process. It speaks volumes about how Riley was able to communicate the need and immediate urgency of making the deal NOW. I'm especially impressed the way the 'brass' was able to hear that, jump in and finish it, without balking or stumbling. I think it makes it clear the speed at which it happened and why Banker had to be called on the road, as impersonal as it was.

That Riley and Diaco could just talk football doesn't surprise me. I watched Riley in the ESPN2 Film Room feed for the 2015 College Football Championship game (Bucks vs Ducks) along with Pat Narduzzi and Dan Mullen. I watched that feed almost the entire game and came away convinced the man understood football at an extraordinary level, had an incredible eye for detail and an uncanny ability to communicate it. I didn't want to make any TO comparisons, except that a hallmark of Tom's culture was that the coaches communicated with each other very well. And I felt that Riley would allow that kind of culture to flourish and ultimately make the team more successful. And I still do.
I'm pumped for a resurgence of the Blackshirts under Diaco! :Blackshirts:
You can have all those traits you mentioned, but if you just can't make it all gel, it matters not. I'm encouraged with the new DC, let's see it translate to wins, lots of them, on the field. In the end, that's all that really matters.

You can have all those traits you mentioned, but if you just can't make it all gel, it matters not. I'm encouraged with the new DC, let's see it translate to wins, lots of them, on the field. In the end, that's all that really matters.

I'm already confident Riley's got the gel to make it all work out just fine...
6191x4JTWqL._SY355_.jpg

Good article...went down just the way it should have based on our org charts.

Yes, according to the article it sure did. And just as I suspected, it was Devaney who found Diaco, not Riley. Thank you, Mr. Devaney!

The popular notion that Riley found Diaco has finally been dispelled! Hip, Hip, Hooray! :Cheer2:

I told you so! :nod:

But we can certainly give MR plenty of credit as well. After all, he was the one who decided to hire Devaney and give him duties like finding good assistant coaches. So, MR gets a big atta boy as well. No Devaney hire then maybe no Diaco either!

Yep, from the article it is obvious the Diaco candidacy came about as a result of Devaney's initiative to compile a list of suitable candidates and to do the required research. He made his list and it included Diaco (Praise the Lord!)...and it certainly appears that it was Devaney who determined that Diaco was the best candidate.

Devaney said. “Let’s get a list." Devaney spent time doing background work on potential replacements. Diaco, jumped out almost immediately, Devaney said. “I started making calls, talking to people who had touched Diaco during his career,”

And when it was finally agreed upon to go for Diaco, it was Devaney who hit the alarm button and said "We have to move right now!"

Devaney said, “Let’s move on and not risk losing him to someone else.”

Here is an interesting statement

“We kicked around a couple of other candidates, but it quickly became apparent — this is the guy," Devaney said,

Who is We? Maybe it was just Riley and Devaney. But then again, We could mean there was a big meeting. It would make sense to get a variety of viewpoints when making a decision as big as this one. Plus it is easier to gain support for a decision when it is made in an open forum rather than in an ivory tower.

Assuming there was a meeting, who was the "WE" that were kicking around possible candidates at the meeting? Riley and Devaney for sure. I'll bet the director of football operations was there and some other key staffers as well. Maybe a highly-trusted coach or 2 as well...Langsdorf as a "HC in training" type deal. Was Eichorst there? Why not? And who had the most influence on the decision to go for Diaco? Only those who attended that meeting know for sure.

It could be that Shawn was at that meeting and when he saw "I hate energy vampires" on Diaco's resume, he may have made a huge push for Diaco that had a big influence on the decision.

Or it could be that Riley was leaning toward a candidate other than Diaco, but since the other 7 people at the meeting were completely sold on Diaco, he felt compelled to go along.

Or it could be that Riley's thinks that Devaney is better at making coaching assessments than he is and he decided it would be best for the football program to go along with whomever Devaney recommended.

Yes, the article may have put some arguments to rest, but it did not put all of them to rest.

The article still leaves plenty of room to :Stirthepot:

However, it is most likely (whether it was 2, 4, or 10 people participating in the decision/discussion), that a Diaco consensus was reached without much disagreement, that it was always Riley's decision to make, and that Riley made the final decision.

From the article, we can certainly give credit to Riley for opening the door for a DC upgrade and for being able to quickly connect with Diaco when he visited Lincoln.

Yes, you have to give Riley & Devaney big Kudos for getting Diaco to commit before he left Lincoln. Like the article says, it was like having a top recruit on an official campus visit...you try your best to get the commitment before they leave campus. At the point in the interview when they knew Diaco was the right guy, they went for the commitment. "Hey Bob, why don't you stay a while longer and talk more football with us?" And while we are talking football, we'll have Shawn write up a nice offer for you!"

They pulled it off. They got Diaco to agree before he had a chance to go home and think about other offers...before other schools had a chance to make counter offers. I'll bet Arkansas was shocked. Excellent work!

I have noticed that car salesmen to the same thing. Once you arrive at the dealership and tell them you are interested in a buying a new car, they will not let you walk out the door until a deal is done. They know their best chance to make a deal is then and there. You never hear a car salesman say "Well, why don't you go home and think about it for a few days and then come back and see us when you are ready!"

You can bet Riley and Devaney would make good car salesmen.

It wasn’t a brand-new thought as of (last) Wednesday,” Riley said. “There was a ton going on fast." That’s because Devaney said he spent time doing background work on potential replacements. It was an extremely tough decision but, once it was made, it was, OK, let’s move on this,” Devaney said. “Let’s get a list."

Diaco, who had a sterling résumé as Notre Dame’s defensive coordinator — and did well with Connecticut’s despite being fired as the Huskies’ head coach — jumped out almost immediately, Devaney said. “I started making calls, talking to people who had touched Diaco during his career,” Devaney said. “And it was constant — the same picture kept coming back again and again. People I really trust in the business — that are in the NFL, that knew him at Notre Dame or while he was at Connecticut — it kept coming back: This guy’s really, really good."

“We kicked around a couple of other candidates, but it quickly became apparent — this is the guy," Devaney said, “Let’s move on and not risk losing him to someone else.”

Last edited:
Yes, according to the article it sure did. And just as I suspected, it was Devaney who did the research and came up with a list of potential candidates. Yes, the Diaco candidacy came about as a result of Devaney's research...and it certainly appears that it was Devaney who determined that Diaco was the best candidate.

Diaco, jumped out almost immediately, Devaney said. “I started making calls, talking to people who had touched Diaco during his career,”

And when it was finally agreed upon to go for Diaco, it was Devaney who hit the alarm button and said "We have to move right now!"

“We kicked around a couple of other candidates, but it quickly became apparent — this is the guy," Devaney said,

Who is We? Maybe it was just Riley and Devaney. But then again, We could mean there was a big meeting. It would make sense to get a variety of viewpoints when making a decision as big as this one. Plus it is easier to gain support for a decision when it is made in an open forum rather than in an ivory tower.

Assuming there was a meeting, who was the "WE" that were kicking around possible candidates at the meeting? Riley and Devaney for sure. I'll bet the director of football operations was there and some other key staffers as well. Maybe a highly-trusted coach or 2 as well...Langsdorf as a "HC in training" type deal. Was Eichorst there? Why not? And who had the most influence on the decision to go for Diaco? Only those who attended that meeting know for sure.

It could be that Shawn was at that meeting and when he saw "I hate energy vampires" on Diaco's resume, he may have made a huge push for Diaco that had a big influence on the decision.

Or it could be that Riley was leaning toward a candidate other than Diaco, but since the other 7 people at the meeting were completely sold on Diaco, he felt compelled to go along.

Or it could be that Riley's thinks that Devaney is better at making coaching assessments than he is and he decided it would be best for the football program to go along with whomever Devaney recommended.

Yes, the article may have put some arguments to rest, but it did not put all of them to rest.

However, it is most likely (whether it was 2, 4, or 10 people participating in the decision/discussion), that a Diaco consensus was reached without much disagreement, that it was always Riley's decision to make, and that Riley made the final decision.

From the article, we can certainly give credit to Riley for opening the door for a DC upgrade and for being able to quickly connect with Diaco when he visited Lincoln.

Yes, you have to give Riley & Devaney big Kudos for getting Diaco to commit before he left Lincoln. Like the article says, it was like having a top recruit on an official campus visit...you try your best to get the commitment before they leave campus. At the point in the interview when they knew Diaco was the right guy, they went for the commitment. "Hey Bob, why don't you stay a while longer and talk more football with us?" And while we are talking football, we'll have Shawn write up a nice offer for you!"

They pulled it off. They got Diaco to agree before he had a chance to go home and think about other offers...before other schools had a chance to make counter offers. I'll bet Arkansas was shocked. Excellent work!

I have noticed that car salesmen to the same thing. Once you arrive at the dealership and tell them you are interested in a buying a new car, they will not let you walk out the door until a deal is done. They know their best chance to make a deal is then and there. You never hear a car salesman say "Well, why don't you go home and think about it for a few days and then come back and see us when you are ready!"

It wasn’t a brand-new thought as of (last) Wednesday,” Riley said. “There was a ton going on fast." That’s because Devaney said he spent time doing background work on potential replacements. It was an extremely tough decision but, once it was made, it was, OK, let’s move on this,” Devaney said. “Let’s get a list."

Diaco, who had a sterling résumé as Notre Dame’s defensive coordinator — and did well with Connecticut’s despite being fired as the Huskies’ head coach — jumped out almost immediately, Devaney said. “I started making calls, talking to people who had touched Diaco during his career,” Devaney said. “And it was constant — the same picture kept coming back again and again. People I really trust in the business — that are in the NFL, that knew him at Notre Dame or while he was at Connecticut — it kept coming back: This guy’s really, really good."

“We kicked around a couple of other candidates, but it quickly became apparent — this is the guy," Devaney said, “Let’s move on and not risk losing him to someone else.”

giphy.gif

An excellent catch. See how he followed the ball all the way into his hands? And he caught the ball with his hands, not his body, just like the pros. That guy is good!

He is also very clever. He knows how to avoid being tackled.

He may be the nation's only "safety first" type receiver. He is way ahead of his time...a brilliant trail blazer who is showing us how we can eliminate concussions from the game of football.

Last edited:

Yes, according to the article it sure did. And just as I suspected, it was Devaney who found Diaco, not Riley. Thank you, Mr. Devaney!

The popular notion that Riley found Diaco has finally been dispelled! Hip, Hip, Hooray! :Cheer2:

I told you so! :nod:

But we can certainly give MR plenty of credit as well. After all, he was the one who decided to hire Devaney and give him duties like finding good assistant coaches. So, MR gets a big atta boy as well. No Devaney hire then maybe no Diaco either!

Yep, from the article it is obvious the Diaco candidacy came about as a result of Devaney's initiative to compile a list of suitable candidates and to do the required research. He made his list and it included Diaco (Praise the Lord!)...and it certainly appears that it was Devaney who determined that Diaco was the best candidate.

Devaney said. “Let’s get a list." Devaney spent time doing background work on potential replacements. Diaco, jumped out almost immediately, Devaney said. “I started making calls, talking to people who had touched Diaco during his career,”

Isn't this exactly what MR hired Devaney to do? So since MR is ultimately responsible. He still gets credit for the hire.

Isn't this exactly what MR hired Devaney to do? So since MR is ultimately responsible. He still gets credit for the hire.

yes that is why I said...

you need to read it again...4th paragraph from the top.

But I tell you what...this is a great subject. Is Devaney responsible for finding the assistant coach from Arizona as well? Could be.

Is a new Devaney taking us from gutter to glory just like the first one did?

It looks like it.

If Devaney finds enough good assistant coaches, MR won't have to do much except schmooze with the boosters, be nice to the recruits, talk to the press, and get Shawn to open up the pocket book and give his assistants anything they want.

With Devaney's help MR can become the hands off, CEO coach par excellence.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back