• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Creighton Thread '16-'17

I mean really. If you are going to call a foul EVERY time X takes it to the paint at least do it on the other end too.

Gutty win on the road.

The ceiling of this team is markedly lower if Watson is done for the year.

I hope he's ok.

Really pretty surprised CU won with Mo being out the last 30 minutes.

Some big minutes by Zierden at the point. Statistically nothing to speak of but his experience brought some calm to the team in the half-court. He's not great defensively but I think that gets overblown a little with him at times. It's REALLY hard to prevent a guy who wants to take the ball to the lane from doing so without fouling anymore.

Ronnie Harrell also had some nice minutes as well. Again, statistically not huge but he did some nice things and was disruptive on defense at times. 4 boards, a steal and a bucket and no turnovers.

Toby Hegner is the unsung hero of this team. 12 points and 4 boards tonight. Hit a huge 3 in the 2nd half.

Foster was awful. I can see where a hard ass coach would have some serious problems getting along with this guy. 7-20...never met a shot he didn't like. Takes some seriously awful shots and couldn't finish in the lane today. Zero rebounds today. That's unforgivable on a day where they needed every little thing to get the job done. With a body like his there's no reason he's the worst rebounder on the team. But, with regard to his offense, I imagine Mac accepts the fact that Marcus is going to put up a few crazy shots now and then...you can't promote #letitfly and then get mad when you leading scorer does.

I hate complaining about refs when my team loses. It's too easy. Often a major free throw disparity is more about one team being much more aggressive than the other. So I'm glad CU won so I can b-tch about these refs. They sucked. There wasn't a big disparity between the teams in how many shots they took inside the 3 line. CU was taking it to the hoop as much or close to as much as X. But X got a call on just about EVERY drive in the 2nd half. CU got nearly none. X made 16-29 from the line while CU made 11-12. That X lost the game because they sucked from the line was poetic justice. Late in the game they called a turnover on Huff that CLEARLY went off the X player...under 2 minutes. CLEAR review situation. Nothing. Awful game by that crew.

So...CU is saying ligaments look good. Potential meniscus issue. I'm no doctor but that wouldn't be good but potentially better than an ACL which would be a season ender.

CHi is absolutely correct. Not that it's going out on a limb but CU's ceiling is much lower without Mo. Without him they are a good team. With him it's nowhere near a stretch to say this team can make a final 4. Davion Mintz is going to grow up fast either way because Mo is going to be out at least a few games under the best case I'd think. Marquette, @G'Town and Depaul are the next 14 days....i mean if you told me....pick the 14 day stretch where you'd want to be without your best player this would be it. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Really pretty surprised CU won with Mo being out the last 30 minutes.

Some big minutes by Zierden at the point. Statistically nothing to speak of but his experience brought some calm to the team in the half-court. He's not great defensively but I think that gets overblown a little with him at times. It's REALLY hard to prevent a guy who wants to take the ball to the lane from doing so without fouling anymore.

Ronnie Harrell also had some nice minutes as well. Again, statistically not huge but he did some nice things and was disruptive on defense at times. 4 boards, a steal and a bucket and no turnovers.

Toby Hegner is the unsung hero of this team. 12 points and 4 boards tonight. Hit a huge 3 in the 2nd half.

Foster was awful. I can see where a hard ass coach would have some serious problems getting along with this guy. 7-20...never met a shot he didn't like. Takes some seriously awful shots and couldn't finish in the lane today. Zero rebounds today. That's unforgivable on a day where they needed every little thing to get the job done. With a body like his there's no reason he's the worst rebounder on the team. But, with regard to his offense, I imagine Mac accepts the fact that Marcus is going to put up a few crazy shots now and then...you can't promote #letitfly and then get mad when you leading scorer does.

I hate complaining about refs when my team loses. It's too easy. Often a major free throw disparity is more about one team being much more aggressive than the other. So I'm glad CU won so I can b-tch about these refs. They sucked. There wasn't a big disparity between the teams in how many shots they took inside the 3 line. CU was taking it to the hoop as much or close to as much as X. But X got a call on just about EVERY drive in the 2nd half. CU got nearly none. X made 16-29 from the line while CU made 11-12. That X lost the game because they sucked from the line was poetic justice. Late in the game they called a turnover on Huff that CLEARLY went off the X player...under 2 minutes. CLEAR review situation. Nothing. Awful game by that crew.

So...CU is saying ligaments look good. Potential meniscus issue. I'm no doctor but that wouldn't be good but potentially better than an ACL which would be a season ender.

CHi is absolutely correct. Not that it's going out on a limb but CU's ceiling is much lower without Mo. Without him they are a good team. With him it's nowhere near a stretch to say this team can make a final 4. Davion Mintz is going to grow up fast either way because Mo is going to be out at least a few games under the best case I'd think. Marquette, @G'Town and Depaul are the next 14 days....i mean if you told me....pick the 14 day stretch where you'd want to be without your best player this would be it. Fingers crossed.

A meniscus would be about the best case scenario, but it would still set him back weeks. I know they said his ligaments are intact, but I'll wait for the MRI.

One important thing is that his game is athleticism. While Watson at 75% is still a very good player and the best option at the point for the Jays, his explosive athleticism is his game. He can beat any defender at any time off the dribble. If he was 6 foot 5, he would be a slam dunk NBA lottery pick.

He needs to be 100%. My best hope is back for the Big East tourney. Creighton is going to really vulnerable without him.

A meniscus would be about the best case scenario, but it would still set him back weeks. I know they said his ligaments are intact, but I'll wait for the MRI.

One important thing is that his game is athleticism. While Watson at 75% is still a very good player and the best option at the point for the Jays, his explosive athleticism is his game. He can beat any defender at any time off the dribble. If he was 6 foot 5, he would be a slam dunk NBA lottery pick.

He needs to be 100%. My best hope is back for the Big East tourney. Creighton is going to really vulnerable without him.

While I'm hoping for sooner than the tourney I agree with everything else. CU becomes much more of a jump shooting team without Mo breaking down defenses and pushing the ball. And since Big East play started CU is actually a poor 3 point shooting team. That's enough games to convince me that it's not just a slump.

Best case scenario would be for Davion Mintz to get a lot of playing time over the next...whatever number of weeks and develop some confidence. He has talent and he will be a good one. I think he just needs minutes to get used to the level of play and develop some chemistry with the regulars. With a healthy Mo that wasn't going to happen in large chunks. With him out it kind of forces the issue. Zierden isn't the long term option because they just aren't a great half-court team. If that works out (with Mintz playing prior to a healthy Mo coming back) that will go a long way in tournaments where fatigue and/or foul trouble can start to play a part....not to mention next year.

Patton had a tough game. 10 points and 9 boards are just fine but he got in foul trouble and had a lot of cases where his lack of physical strength was apparent. Another 25 lbs and some vice-grip like hands would make the guy unstoppable.

Torn ACL. Done for the season. Feel terrible for Mo. He was having an all conference season and potential for making some all america lists.

This really ends any hope for CU having the "dream season". They literally have no chance for a final 4 without him. As I said before...he was the straw that stirred their drink. Totally different team without him. They are still a good team. A tourney team. But not what they could have been. SUCH a downer.

Torn ACL. Done for the season. Feel terrible for Mo. He was having an all conference season and potential for making some all america lists.

This really ends any hope for CU having the "dream season". They literally have no chance for a final 4 without him. As I said before...he was the straw that stirred their drink. Totally different team without him. They are still a good team. A tourney team. But not what they could have been. SUCH a downer.

He absolutely would have been on some All-America lists. Agree with everything you said.

Will be interesting how they fare the rest of the way. Zierden seems like he would slow the offense down too much or else they have to use a freshman PG that I'm not sure has hardly played this year. Either way I'd say they'll be lucky to go .500 down the stretch.

Will be interesting how they fare the rest of the way. Zierden seems like he would slow the offense down too much or else they have to use a freshman PG that I'm not sure has hardly played this year. Either way I'd say they'll be lucky to go .500 down the stretch.

My gut reaction...."ah crap...they won't win another game".

But I'm coming around quickly. ;)

This is still a good team with or without Mo. You still have an 18 pt. a game guy at the two. You still have Khyri Thomas who is having a great season. You still have huff who is probably their best shooter (along with Hegner). You still have Patton.

OBVIOUSLY things change with Mo out. The good news is they found a way to beat a ranked team on the road yesterday without him....that's with throwing the game plan out the window and winging it. I think you'll see Z getting the bulk of the minutes initially. But Mintz is going to be thrown to the fire. The kid has game. He's not there for no reason. Now, I DO believe Mac made a mistake in not playing him more early on but he had been getting some minutes lately. But like many freshmen I think his major issue is confidence rather than ability. Now he's going to get minutes where he doesn't have to worry about screwing up. And he's got a great supporting cast around him...so he doesn't need to do it all.

I think what you'll see is Z getting the bulk initially with Mintz getting a lot of minutes in the middle of halves....Z will likely be in there at end of game situations. Eventually, Mintz is going to play more minutes at the point than Z.

The good news is the schedule is pretty favorable for a couple weeks. 6-6 is the absolute worst they will do but I will say it will be north of that. They will be definite underdogs on the road at Nova and Butler and maybe at home against Xavier (they've been bad on the road). But if one looks at things unemotionally CU's roster is still better than Marquette (2), Depaul (2), St. Johns (1), Providence (1) and G'Town (2) and probably seaton hall as well (1) That's 9 games right there. Not that they will go 9-0 against those teams.

Point being...the top end possibilities for this team are out the window (conference title, final 4). But they won't fold from here.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back