• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The good, the bad and the Ugly spring game edition.

Huskerthom

All Big 10
10 Year Member
The Good
1. The starting D is looking really good. I saw a lot of good pressure coming from the front 3. Felt sorry for the white team QBs. never really could set their feet.

2. 1st drive of the Red O was a thing of beauty. I think they must have scripted it. Moved very fast a efficiently.

3. There were some guys who it really looked like the light was starting to come on for. Warner had the best catch and run of the day I thought. Miles Jones looked pretty good as well. Especially catching the ball.

The Bad
The running backs. I was hoping with the small "speedy" guys we had that we might see a break away run or two. Most of the yards were a result of the OL. No real 1 on 1 break aways resulting in a long run.

The Ugly
I did not see anything so bad that it rated Ugly IMO.

So we'll leave it at that.

Sometimes ugly. 13 penalties for example ........
correction 12 according to HMax. A little bit of a weird stat though. Red team was 8/55 which means it is a 6 yd avg so mostly motion and offsides. Not terribly concerning to me. White was 4/45 which is a little over 11 per. That means although they had less they were bigger drive killing penalties.

Good-QB's-Pickering, Attendance (side note-did anybody watch Minnesotas spring game? Looked like it was inside a barn)
Bad- RB,s just OK
Ugly-Penalties- Just to many even for a spring game

correction 12 according to HMax. A little bit of a weird stat though. Red team was 8/55 which means it is a 6 yd avg so mostly motion and offsides. Not terribly concerning to me. White was 4/45 which is a little over 11 per. That means although they had less they were bigger drive killing penalties.

that's good to know. those are the kinds of things that get cleaned up with units are playing together more consistently with the backups working in, as will happen in fall camp

for me:

The Good:
1. Depth on the lines. Both the OL and DL's looked to be deeper and more consistent in terms of ability and talent yesterday. I also though we looked like we had a lot of DB's and WR's, and the depth at QB looked much improved with Vedral and Bunch and even Masker

-- liked seeing the number of young linemen shuttling in on the interior -- Hixson starting, Jurgens starting, but also Forbes played a lot at center and guard, Young Farniok played a lot, ,etc.

2. Defense looking much better. Partly due to the line playing better, but I thought our DB's looked athletic and skilled yesterday and saw some good play by the LB's as well, even guys from lower on the depth charts

3. really just thought we had a solid bunch on both sides yesterday. There is a lot of depth charts movement between now and the first game, but we have options and depth to give people reps and find out who is the best. Last year.. I thought we were struggling to get one unit, let alone 2

4. I liked what I saw of the receivers -- Warner looked faster and with his size and routes think he'll play. A couple young guys looked good - Nance and Liewer (scout team offensive player of the year last year). Legrone looks legit to my eyes, and Honas made me think he can be a solid fill in as well

The Bad:
1. RB depth yesterday. Not much of a negative here, we know we had people out and people who haven't shown up yet. That said, Belt looked quick and useful.. like a guy Frost can use in this offense in some ways. Mazour showed some nice skills and I think he'd move the chains better than any of the other backs we saw yesterday. I thought Bradley did well when given the obvious holes, but wasn't impressed otherwise, even thought he was the one who got talked up a lot. Hemphill looked interesting - might be some special use packages for a guy like that, depending on what a defense is giving us

The Ugly;

Nothing really. Some penalties, but overall I was happy with what I saw

The only ugly I saw was a lot of the center snaps were off target. I'm not too concerned since they have the summer and fall to get it corrected.

Jurgens is ahead of where I’d have expected at Center, but Forbes struggled. A lot. A lot can change between now and August, but that group looks like they’ll need a little time to develop this fall.

Jurgens is ahead of where I’d have expected at Center, but Forbes struggled. A lot. A lot can change between now and August, but that group looks like they’ll need a little time to develop this fall.

both Forbes and Jurgens are just RS Frosh. I'm sure they will get better and didn't think Forbes did all that bad as he was also swapping between 2 positions. Really wondering what we'll have to do this fall, though -- hopefully they can keep making progress. Not counting out the other options, though... Miller and Farniok.

Although, playing against better NT's is a factor. the NT's were good yesterday and I don't think it's just that our centers are young

Last edited:
Penalties were the major ugly, and it should be better than that even in a spring game.

TE look like they can make plays if the ball is thrown to them in the open, but they didn't do so well when balls were a little off target or contested. Too bad. They really tried to sowcase them yesterday.

Effort. Probably a good explanation for this, but I found myself cheering for the whites as they seemed to be trying a lot harder than the reds. They never should have been playing the reds that cloely with the differences in supposed talent.

I'm not sure under what classification it would go, but LM looked really young andf really skinny. I doubt we will see him in any kind of pressure situation in a game this year. It looks like one good wack would put him out for the season.

Did the Seal play?

both Forbes and Jurgens are just RS Frosh. I'm sure they will get better and didn't think Forbes did all that bad as he was also swapping between 2 positions. Really wondering what we'll have to do this fall, though -- hopefully they can keep making progress. Not counting out the other options, though... Miller and Farniok.

Although, playing against better NT's is a factor. the NT's were good yesterday and I don't think it's just that our centers are young

I don’t know who else was limited due to injury or otherwise or if those two are currently the best C, RG options, but their RFrosh status doesn’t make that any less concerning. I see potential in Jurgens, but Forbes was stood up and vertical almost instantly after the snap. They’ll all improve, but early in the season it will be a weakness.

for me:

The Good:

4. I liked what I saw of the receivers -- Warner looked faster and with his size and routes think he'll play. A couple young guys looked good - Nance and Liewer (scout team offensive player of the year last year). Legrone looks legit to my eyes, and Honas made me think he can be a solid fill in as well
I thought the same. He really did look faster.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back