• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bowl pick

College Football News just published their 2019-2020 way too early projections. Since the contract is written to reduce repeat participants, it might end up being fairly easy to guess where the Huskers end up. (Tie-ins and history)

Because I'm sitting home, bored, and waiting for Husker basketball, here's the CFN way too early view of the next B1G bowl season.

College Football Playoff: East team, if anyone. I'll simply agree with the CFN pick of Ohio State as I don't see the West mounting much of a challenge until 2020 season. Having said that, I think the West is going to be a fun, chaotic mess. I could see any of Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern, Purdue all mounting a serious challenge for the division title.

Rose Bowl: BIg Ten champ or backup team. CFN has Michigan.

Citrus: Agreement for Citrus is for five different teams in six years, so no Penn State, Minnesota or Michigan, if possible. West champ would be the likely candidate...CFN has Wisconsin.

Outback: Agreement is for five different teams in six years, so no Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan or Northwestern, if possible. Nebraska has NEVER played in this bowl; so, I think this is actually our most likely destination if we can get to 8 or 9 wins. CFN has Michigan State.

Holiday: Agreement is for five different teams in six years, so no Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern or Wisconsin, if possible. Iowa or Penn State seem like most likely teams to me. CFN has Penn State.

Taxslayer (formerly Gator): ACC and Big Ten combine in the Music City and TaxSlayer, with each getting three appearances in six years. The Big Ten played in TaxSlayer in 2015 and the Music City in 2016, 2017 & 2018. It’s almost certainly going to be in the TaxSlayer, but no Iowa or Penn State, if possible. We haven't played here under the current contract; but, it has been a fairly recent trip. CFN has Iowa.

Pinstripe: not official, but the bowl would prefer to have eight different teams in eight years, so no Indiana, Iowa, Northwestern, Penn State or Wisconsin, if possible. Sadly, I think this has high potential for the Huskers and CFN has us here.

Redbox (San Fran): Agreement is for five different teams in six years, so no Indiana, Maryland, Michigan State, Nebraska or Purdue, if possible. CFN has Minnesota.

Quick Lane (Detroit). CFN has Maryland.

Armed Forces: Agreement for three SERVPRO First Responders and three Armed Forces bowls in six years. The Big Ten hasn’t been in the Armed Force Bowl since 2014. CFN has Northwestern.

Last edited:

College Football News just published their 2019-2020 way too early projections. Since the contract is written to reduce repeat participants, it might end up being fairly easy to guess where the Huskers end up. (Tie-ins and history)

Because I'm sitting home, bored, and waiting for Husker basketball, here's the CFN way too early view of the next B1G bowl season.

College Football Playoff: East team, if anyone. I'll simply agree with the CFN pick of Ohio State as I don't see the West mounting much of a challenge until 2020 season. Having said that, I think the West is going to be a fun, chaotic mess. I could see any of Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern, Purdue all mounting a serious challenge for the division title.

Rose Bowl: BIg Ten champ or backup team. CFN has Michigan.

Citrus: Agreement for Citrus is for five different teams in six years, so no Penn State, Minnesota or Michigan, if possible. West champ would be the likely candidate...CFN has Wisconsin.

Outback: Agreement is for five different teams in six years, so no Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan or Northwestern, if possible. Nebraska has NEVER played in this bowl; so, I think this is actually our most likely destination if we can get to 8 or 9 wins. CFN has Michigan State.

Holiday: Agreement is for five different teams in six years, so no Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern or Wisconsin, if possible. Iowa or Penn State seem like most likely teams to me. CFN has Penn State.

Taxslayer (formerly Gator): ACC and Big Ten combine in the Music City and TaxSlayer, with each getting three appearances in six years. The Big Ten played in TaxSlayer in 2015 and the Music City in 2016, 2017 & 2018. It’s almost certainly going to be in the TaxSlayer, but no Iowa or Penn State, if possible. We haven't played here under the current contract; but, it has been a fairly recent trip. CFN has Iowa.

Pinstripe: not official, but the bowl would prefer to have eight different teams in eight years, so no Indiana, Iowa, Northwestern, Penn State or Wisconsin, if possible. Sadly, I think this has high potential for the Huskers and CFN has us here.

Redbox (San Fran): Agreement is for five different teams in six years, so no Indiana, Maryland, Michigan State, Nebraska or Purdue, if possible. CFN has Minnesota.

Quick Lane (Detroit). CFN has Maryland.

Armed Forces: Agreement for three SERVPRO First Responders and three Armed Forces bowls in six years. The Big Ten hasn’t been in the Armed Force Bowl since 2014. CFN has Northwestern.
If we did go to Pinstripe I might actually go to that craphole of a city.

Having said that, I think the West is going to be a fun, chaotic mess. I could see any of Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern, Purdue all mounting a serious challenge for the division title.

I think Minnesota is every bit in the mix. I'd put the Gophers ahead of Purdue so far as chances to win the West go.

Minnesota was very young last season. They interchanged two quarterbacks -- both freshman. Top two running backs were freshman. Two of the top three receivers were freshman (and one junior).

Remember what Minnesota did late last season? Their last four games included three huge wins -- beat Purdue by 31, Wisconsin by 22, and Georgia Tech by 24. That's extremely impressive.

In 2019, Minnesota doesn't play Ohio State, Michigan, or Michigan State. They get Penn State in Minneapolis. They also get Nebraska in Minneapolis. And Wisconsin travels to Minnesota.

Last edited:
If we did go to Pinstripe I might actually go to that craphole of a city.
NYC is a great city to visit. If you can't find something to do, that's your own fault. I'd never want to live there, and I sure as heck wouldn't want to take small kids there for a trip (let alone RAISING kids there), but there is so much to do in any season that it never gets old.... But it does get expensive.

If this ends up happening, remember to ask me for a list of things to do.

NYC is a great city to visit. If you can't find something to do, that's your own fault. I'd never want to live there, and I sure as heck wouldn't want to take small kids there for a trip (let alone RAISING kids there), but there is so much to do in any season that it never gets old.... But it does get expensive.

If this ends up happening, remember to ask me for a list of things to do.
It is a personal thing. I judge places by how friendly and open the locals are. Not by how much there is to do. Not a touristy kind of guy. Most New Yorkers I have met... Not so friendly. They look down on the rest of the world.

A lot of that is context. If you go as a tourist to the Black Hills, for example, pretty much everyone you meet is going to either also be a tourist or at least be aware that tourism drives the local economy. When you're in NYC? Everybody is in a hurry to get to work or someplace, and you're just the dufus who's in their way, looking lost, asking dumb questions. It would be the equivalent of stopping cars in Omaha during rush hour and judging the friendliness of the state of Nebraska by how they respond to you being in their way.

You have to look for those places where people go to slow down and connect if you want to get a feel for the people. I hate the Yankees, but I won't pass on the opportunity to sit in the cheap seats at Yankee Stadium and chat it up with the fans ... as long as I'm not wearing something stupid, like a Red Sox cap.

A lot of that is context. If you go as a tourist to the Black Hills, for example, pretty much everyone you meet is going to either also be a tourist or at least be aware that tourism drives the local economy. When you're in NYC? Everybody is in a hurry to get to work or someplace, and you're just the dufus who's in their way, looking lost, asking dumb questions. It would be the equivalent of stopping cars in Omaha during rush hour and judging the friendliness of the state of Nebraska by how they respond to you being in their way.

You have to look for those places where people go to slow down and connect if you want to get a feel for the people. I hate the Yankees, but I won't pass on the opportunity to sit in the cheap seats at Yankee Stadium and chat it up with the fans ... as long as I'm not wearing something stupid, like a Red Sox cap.
My opinion is not just based on my experiences going to NY (all bad). It is also based on dealing with New Yorkers in my military and corporate careers. I have no such problems from anyone in Philly, Boston, DC, Chitown, LA, San Diego. The closest would be folks from the bay area. Had a great time in every other city. It is like New yorkers go out of their way to live up to their stereo types of being jerks.

My opinion is not just based on my experiences going to NY (all bad). It is also based on dealing with New Yorkers in my military and corporate careers. I have no such problems from anyone in Philly, Boston, DC, Chitown, LA, San Diego. The closest would be folks from the bay area. Had a great time in every other city. It is like New yorkers go out of their way to live up to their stereo types of being jerks.

The amount of friendly New Yorkers I met while in the military and as a civilian out numbers the jerks, of which there are a fair share. Spent three months in Jersey for work and went to the city almost every other day and it was very cool. Would not live there but had an amazing time every trip into the city.

C

The amount of friendly New Yorkers I met while in the military and as a civilian out numbers the jerks, of which there are a fair share. Spent three months in Jersey for work and went to the city almost every other day and it was very cool. Would not live there but had an amazing time every trip into the city.

C
Highlighted pretty much says it all.

I absolutely wouldn't want to live there, though my wife went to grad school there, and it was a fun place to visit. No offense to any other city, but I'd say some version of the same thing about Omaha, Minneapolis, Denver, and Chicago, too: fun places to visit; wouldn't want to live there.

Does it? There are reasons for my choice but it has nothing to do with the people. I wouldn't want to live there for the same reasons as I would not want to live in Omaha, Lincoln, Denver, or KC, etc...The Pacific Ocean is my home.

C

Does it? There are reasons for my choice but it has nothing to do with the people. I wouldn't want to live there for the same reasons as I would not want to live in Omaha, Lincoln, Denver, or KC, etc...The Pacific Ocean is my home.

C
:thumbsup:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back