• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

4* DT Logan Jones from Iowa

Captain hindsight here, but I like us waiting until we had a DL coach in place before offering. Seems a bit more powerful to me than offering and then having to reconfirm after we get a new guy.

We will see if it works for us.

He seems small for a DT in a 3-4 system at 6'3" 255. By comparison, Nash Hutmacher is 6'5" 285 already. My guess is that played a part in not receiving an offer and I'm sure they feel like they're in a pretty good place with Nash already. I wouldn't rule out him getting an offer down the road especially given proximity but this may just be a case of not being the ideal fit.

I get the height thing, sorta. His body type is probably suited more towards playin the 3 tech in a 4-3 than nose in a 3-4 and they are thinking he is a little short ideally to play end in a 3-4. If he is a good player he is a good player. I really hate using the fact that he may be a couple inches too short to get an offer.

He could be a die hard Iowa fan also and NU may not have a shot at him anyway.

So now we've offered and despite it being an uphill battle (he seemed to reaffirm his commitment to Iowa, I thought?).

What do we do with him if we get him? DE on the weakside to let him penetrate and then slide him into the NT spot on passing situations or against spread teams where we want a quicker, penetrating NT? 4-man fronts?

Would he be best in a 1-gap scheme? Can he play 2-gap enough in the B10 to be productive? Does Chinander switch between the 2 given the right talent (I thought we did a lot of 2-gap last year.. er, or tried to, but wasn't really charting things either)?

this from an article on Omaha.com this week also:

"
Tuioti said he’s trying to impress on each player that he has a skill useful to the defense, and Tuioti will try to find a way to use it. Sophomore Deontre Thomas — originally recruited for a 4-3 defense — is an example.

“He’s undersized to play a 4-technique for us,” Tuioti said of the 6-foot-3, 290-pound Thomas.

NU coaches ideally want their defensive ends to be closer to the size of Tate Wildeman (6-5, 275) and Brant Banks (6-7, 265). But Thomas’ stature can be an advantage, Tuioti said, when Nebraska uses its four-man pass rush. Plus, if Thomas is capable of playing with leverage in the run game — which his frame should allow him to do — he can help NU’s defense.

“He’s kind of slippery and he’s pretty quick,” Tuioti said. “We’ll find a way to get him on the field and maximize his talent and ability.”

So now we've offered and despite it being an uphill battle (he seemed to reaffirm his commitment to Iowa, I thought?).

What do we do with him if we get him? DE on the weakside to let him penetrate and then slide him into the NT spot on passing situations or against spread teams where we want a quicker, penetrating NT? 4-man fronts?

Would he be best in a 1-gap scheme? Can he play 2-gap enough in the B10 to be productive? Does Chinander switch between the 2 given the right talent (I thought we did a lot of 2-gap last year.. er, or tried to, but wasn't really charting things either)?

"
Tuioti said he’s trying to impress on each player that he has a skill useful to the defense, and Tuioti will try to find a way to use it. Sophomore Deontre Thomas — originally recruited for a 4-3 defense — is an example.

“He’s undersized to play a 4-technique for us,” Tuioti said of the 6-foot-3, 290-pound Thomas.

NU coaches ideally want their defensive ends to be closer to the size of Tate Wildeman (6-5, 275) and Brant Banks (6-7, 265). But Thomas’ stature can be an advantage, Tuioti said, when Nebraska uses its four-man pass rush. Plus, if Thomas is capable of playing with leverage in the run game — which his frame should allow him to do — he can help NU’s defense.

“He’s kind of slippery and he’s pretty quick,” Tuioti said. “We’ll find a way to get him on the field and maximize his talent and ability.”
Good points. Lewis Central plays a 3-4 base and I’ve watched him play all over the line. He’s fast and has good reflexes and power. Most of his sacks, that I saw, this last season came from the end. Like his recruiting profile states he is a versitle athlete. He also plays O-line and I watched him pull a “Blindside” move on kid last season and push a tackle 20 yards downfield before pancaking him. I’m also convinced that he isn’t done growing yet.

"

What do you do if you get him? Who knows, he is at least a year away from being at Nebraska if we get him. He most likely will put on a good 25lbs before he gets here in the fall. He might get an inch taller. He may top out at 310 and be a great NG.

For me you don't leave a kid that is rated a 3* or above that lives 60 miles from campus without an offer, just because he is a couple of inches shorter than your ideal. If he chooses Iowa so be it, but to show no interest is a bad look for your recruiting.

Lol....pretty long ongoing thread here on a kid who appears to be 100% committed to Iowa plus may not be a fit on the DL. :Biggrin:
I'll repeat what I said about a certain Lincoln DT that committed to Wisconsin. If he really truly wanted to go to Nebraska, he'll end up there. I find it hard to believe that a lifelong Nebraska fan would stay committed to Iowa just because Nebraska waited until his junior year to offer.

What do you do if you get him? Who knows, he is at least a year away from being at Nebraska if we get him. He most likely will put on a good 25lbs before he gets here in the fall. He might get an inch taller. He may top out at 310 and be a great NG.

For me you don't leave a kid that is rated a 3* or above that lives 60 miles from campus without an offer, just because he is a couple of inches shorter than your ideal. If he chooses Iowa so be it, but to show no interest is a bad look for your recruiting.

We were losing our DL coach (something we probably knew about for a while), and offered when we had a new guy in place. So we're showing the interest.

The scheme questions are good ones, I think, not just as it relates to him, but about how we intend to use our 3-4 to play against the differing styles of teams we are going to see against us. I tend to think a guy like Logan is a good addition to us as we create a few varied sets that can really use this guy (as I noted, maybe as a DE in the base 3-4 and as NT in passing situations or something along those lines).

An interesting comparison:

Jones at a combine camp: 6-3, 244 lbs
4.95 40, 4.39 shuttle, 29.6 vertical, 38 power throw, Sparq rating 92.85 (one of the highest ratings for a DE/DL)

Cam Jurgens: 6-4, 242 lbs
4.98 40, 4.76 shuttle, 32.2 vertical 43 power throw, Sparq rating 96.72

Interesting comparison in terms of athleticism, size, frame, etc. I really like a guy who has the kind of shuttle that Jones does at his size. Both for playing on D or for playing OG, for instance.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back