• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Interesting reddit thread on recruiting ranking bias.

Agree. There is a smattering of accuracy and a smattering of imagery in every ranking. These kids are being followed by football expert after all...but the experts are human beings and human beings make mistakes, too. As the timeline nears NSD, the rankings seem to follow the number and quality of offerings that a recruit has received.

If you think about it, most of the experts who rate recruits have only seen film of these players and look at 40 times, vertical jump measurements, height and weight measurements, etc. Most haven't seen the majority of players they rate. I'm not criticizing, I'm just stating the logic. I've seen many players in person and I've been right about some of them and wrong about some of them. I can remember a certain player I knew very well that I felt took plays off and he went on to play in the NFL. Another one I never even thought about, went on to play in the NFL, so really the 3 and 4 stars are fairly equally going into college and depend on development. In regards to the integrity of the ratings, didn't Tom Lemming admit to helping out Callahan back in the day? Who is he working for these days?

OK so the part of this I think you are missing is not the what happens when the top guys offer. That is just logic. If the best evaluaters offer of course you re evaluate. However the other side of the coin is when guys choose a non standard choice like KS or MD. Then they drop. That should not happen. That was what the article was really about.
Agreed...this is the bias part I believe to exist. On the same token though, if I had a 4* with only one P5 offer from Kansas, I’d also reevaluate. But if he has other legitimate offers with some big dogs sprinkled in, you’re right, his rating shouldn’t drop because he chose a lesser school.

I wonder where Nebraska stands in the bias department with a new, hot head coach. It seemed like under Pelini there were several instances where our recruits would downtrend. Under Frost they seem to uptick. Pelini was also a fairly big name when he came here, so maybe it’s just legitimate better recruiting or my perception.

You can’t really quantify something this subjective into numbers of absolutes. A kid could quit football because he can’t be away from home or his girlfriend dumps him. This is one reason I like that Frost puts an emphasis on the type of kids he is recruiting off the field.

It’s fun as a fan to follow and see big time commits, but if we start winning at a high level I could honestly care less what our recruiting classes are ranked.

Sadly I think I get more excited about it because it’s the only way we’ve been a top 25 team in anything for a while. :Bananalazy:

Last edited:
I like that Frost puts an emphasis on the type of kids he is recruiting off the field.

Bingo. And the 2019 class has so many “high character” guys, you can see the strategy at work. That trait leads to consistency, dependability, high effort, and leadership, qualities that are so critical on teams. Just look at our 2019 and 2020 QB commits as examples. Both leaders by performance and by example on and off the field. Respected guys on their teams. Both happen to be sons of high level HS coaches, not a requirement but possibly yet another support to your point.

If you think about it, most of the experts who rate recruits have only seen film of these players and look at 40 times, vertical jump measurements, height and weight measurements, etc. Most haven't seen the majority of players they rate. I'm not criticizing, I'm just stating the logic. I've seen many players in person and I've been right about some of them and wrong about some of them. I can remember a certain player I knew very well that I felt took plays off and he went on to play in the NFL. Another one I never even thought about, went on to play in the NFL, so really the 3 and 4 stars are fairly equally going into college and depend on development. In regards to the integrity of the ratings, didn't Tom Lemming admit to helping out Callahan back in the day? Who is he working for these days?

If potential was so easy to predict, I could have retired a billionaire 20 years ago from stock trading and speculative investing!! :Banana:

I think the college recruiting rankings are the organizations way of selling hope to fan(atic)s. And some of the salesmen are so persuasive, they could sell ice to North Dakotans!

Our fake recruits never get 3 stars!
Well, sometimes they were a 3-star recruit, but that was before they chose Nebraska over Alabama. The fact that their rating dropped afterward is purely a coincidence ... since they don't exist.

On a related note ... I have a picture of a unicorn who farts glitter. Rivals gives it 3 stars.

(Obviously, he's being recruited by Alabama.)

Last edited:

On a related note ... I have a picture of a unicorn who farts glitter. Rivals gives it 3 stars.

(Obviously, he's being recruited by Alabama.)

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    321.8 KB · Views: 43

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back