• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Another Garrett!

Laughed when I saw this because of his last name. Both sets of my grandparents and thus my mom and dad were from Sutton. Spent a lot of summers there back in the 70s. Was funny because everyone in the area has the last name of Ochsner, Griess, or Nuss. Seriously.

Last edited:

Laughed when I saw this because of his last name. Both sets of my grandparents and thus my mom and dad were from Sutton. Spent a lot of summers there back in the 70s. Was funny because everyone in the area has the last name of Ochsner, Griess, or Nuss. Seriously.

Yep, about 3/4 of my paternal family tree came through Sutton, many of them Germans from Russia.

download.jpg

Yep, about 3/4 of my paternal family tree came through Sutton, many of them Germans from Russia.
Yep. One set of my great great grandparents were germans from russia. Lore is that that is who brought over the runza. Runza Huts founder's mom was from Sutton I believe.

Last edited:
Germans from RUSSIA?

Yes, large numbers of Germans immigrated from the German states to the lower Volga & Black Sea area (Ukraine & Crimea) beginning in the 1700s at the behest of Czarina Catherine the Great resulting in autonomous colonies with freedoms of religion, exercise native languages, land and no compulsory service in the Russian armies. By the 1870s, the Czar changed the rules and a mass exodus to America began.

Sutton, Nebraska was a gathering point for many thousands who then fanned out across the plains. A North Dakota historian once claimed that more than half the states population came from this immigration source.

Last edited:

Yes, large numbers of Germans immigrated from the German states to the lower Volga & Black Sea area (Ukraine & Crimea) beginning in the 1700s at the behest of Czarina Catherine the Great resulting in autonomous colonies with freedoms of religion, exercise native languages, land and no compulsory service in the Russian armies. By the 1870s, the Czar changed the rules and a mass exodus to America began.

Sutton, Nebraska was a gathering point for many thousands who then fanned out across the plains. A North Dakota historian once claimed that more than half the states population came from this immigration source.
Agree. I think the tipping point was that Catherine said they wouldn't have to serve in the russian military and then russia began conscripting them.

Agree. I think the tipping point was that Catherine said they wouldn't have to serve in the russian military and then russia began conscripting them.

Yep, that was a significant consideration -- of course, those that came to America donated their sons & grandsons to service in the World Wars.

Germans from RUSSIA?
Let me add one more tidbit. The Germans from Russia are my ancestry on both my mother's and father's side. My maternal grandparents both immigrated from Russia in the early 1900s, and my mother, under Russian law, was considered a Russian citizen, even though she never was close to stepping foot in Russia, since she was a first generation offspring of immigrants from Russia.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back