• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nice Article on Les Miles

Mark Mangino built a winner there. It was an interesting combination of some other teams in the Big 12 being down and finding a QB that absolutely fit their system. And possibly the most important part: motivation through abuse.

I think we have a blueprint.

Mark Mangino built a winner there. It was an interesting combination of some other teams in the Big 12 being down and finding a QB that absolutely fit their system. And possibly the most important part: motivation through abuse.
How bad was it? I generally hold off judgment on those sorts of stories until some time has passed, but the fact that nobody else ever wanted to hire him is pretty damning. What were some of the things that he or his staff did?

I think we have a blueprint.

I went through a lot of the same stuff Mangino did to his players in High School. I didn't know any better and unless he was actually physically beating us (which happened once and ended in his firing) nobody listened to anyone's complaints. Verbal abuse was part of the deal. It was like being in a Marine boot camp. Extensive punishment in the form of pushing players to complete physical failure was not uncommon. At the time my dad said it was just a way to 'toughen' us kids up. I don't know how tough it made us, but it made us mean. We didn't have the numbers or the kind of athletes to have that style of coaching make a difference, so I can't say if it hurt or helped. It did bring the team together in that we all hated his guts with a passion. That's unity for you.

How bad was it? I generally hold off judgment on those sorts of stories until some time has passed, but the fact that nobody else ever wanted to hire him is pretty damning. What were some of the things that he or his staff did?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Mangino

He ended up coaching again but retired in 2016. Time will tell if Les Miles or any football coach at Kansas will put up better numbers than Mangino.

Following the win against the Iowa State Cyclones, Mark Mangino became the first KU football coach with a winning career record since Jack Mitchell in 1966. While at Kansas, Mangino led the Jayhawks to 19 consecutive weeks ranked in the AP and/or USA Today polls (2007–08), 20 wins in a 2-year period for the first time in school history, set home attendance average records in each of the last 4 seasons (2004–2008), led KU to its first appearance in national polls since 1996 and to the school’s highest ranking ever at #2, produced the top 3 total offense seasons in school history, the top two passing seasons and two of the top three scoring seasons and won three Bowl games—the same number they had won in their 102-year history combined prior to his arrival.

With 50 victories, Mangino has the second-most victories in Kansas coaching history.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back