• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

No surprise Fields eligible to play at Ohio State

At least we know how to get under Fields' skin when the Butteyes are in Lincoln.

If we're unkind enough, maybe he'll transfer again at halftime.
Yup, get the big uglies to be mean and be bullies. Maybe get a little year in his eye

Change in coaching staff, and it took the NCAA until midseason to grant his eligibility. Would have been nice if he'd been available against Colorado.

Anyway, this decision for Fields is good for him, good for Ohio State, but not so good for college football.
It will be interesting to see how good it is for OSU. I watched this kid on the netflix show about h.s. QBs (maybe it was amazon?). He seemed really interested on several occasions in getting out of games to avoid injury...one time they were down 2 scores with a couple min to go and he was suggesting to his coach that he shut it down. Maybe it was editing...maybe not. Not sure I'd trust he would be ready to do anything to win though.

Anyway, this decision for Fields is good for him, good for Ohio State, but not so good for college football.

It's good for Ohio State. As for Fields. I think that's more complicated. It's obviously what he desired. I'm not sure it helps him grow as a person or learn to deal with adversity in healthy ways. Does this help him respond appropriately four years from now when he's third string on some NFL roster and under contract?

I'm not suggesting guys shouldn't have the ability to transfer. Coaching changes often dramatically affect the kids and sometimes they learn they aren't a good fit with their school of choice. It's just that the direction things are headed goes too far.

Transfers are just as, or more likely, to be about entitlement and immaturity as the player's long-term best interest. That's probably always been true but the one year rule provided some checks and balances to that.

The situation with Fields sure looks like a case where the kid just didn't like his spot on the depth chart even though a redshirt year would have afforded him the opportunity to be a multiple year starter at UGA. I think sitting a year would have been far more appropriate in this case, unless there are some other extenuating circumstances that aren't public.

Last edited:

If for some reason Fields gets beat out at Ohio State, can he transfer again without penalty after this season?

How long will it be until someone plays for four different FBS teams without ever sitting out? (I guess A.J. Bush came close, but he mixed in a JUCO stop and took advantage of the Grad Transfer rule.)

It will be interesting to see how good it is for OSU. I watched this kid on the netflix show about h.s. QBs (maybe it was amazon?). He seemed really interested on several occasions in getting out of games to avoid injury...one time they were down 2 scores with a couple min to go and he was
suggesting to his coach that he shut it down. Maybe it was editing...maybe not. Not sure I'd trust he would be ready to do anything to win though.

It was Netflix and I agree he pulled himself a lot and it appeared to happen when they were getting beat if I remember correctly.

Thanks to the NCAA for setting up past practice and skirting their own system. From my understanding this young man is still just a boy and could not earn his job, made up a. BS excuses so he could take his ball and go elsewhere

Good luck to him hope he grows up

Well...the blueprint has been presented and approved now for every other potential transfer...
NCAA really needs to revisit these transfer rules imo. It's starting to look like the NFL more and more which isn't a good thing. At the very least there should be consistency with these rulings regarding instant eligiblity? It's frustrating to see one team/player granted it while other teams/players not so much.

It was Netflix and I agree he pulled himself a lot and it appeared to happen when they were getting beat if I remember correctly.

Thanks to the NCAA for setting up past practice and skirting their own system. From my understanding this young man is still just a boy and could not earn his job, made up a. BS excuses so he could take his ball and go elsewhere

Good luck to him hope he grows up
Well, a couple more years of being a big cry-baby wouldn't hurt my feelings very much. :Biggrin:

So I'm going to throw this out as an opinion of everything that I have read. I'm certainly not going to say its factual but the scenarios are the same with Vedral and Fields and might be the norm going forward. The only difference between Vedral and Fields is timing. Vedrals original application went in prior to the transfer rule changes in June 2018. At that time....based on precidence not many people here believed that Vedral would get a waiver. Jump ahead to July or August time period and Vedral re-applys under the new rules and gets approved.

Now like it or not the NCAA has taken a different approach and Vedral capitilized on it. Yes he had to sit out half a season because of the timing of it but the bottom line is his excuse for transferring was just as weak as Fields and doesn't represent a conspiracy to give Ohio State a competitive advantage.

This is pretty much a non-issue unless its the idea that the NCAA is getting rid of the 1 year transfer rules.....in which case you should have been mad when they did it with Vedral.

So I'm going to throw this out as an opinion of everything that I have read. I'm certainly not going to say its factual but the scenarios are the same with Vedral and Fields and might be the norm going forward. The only difference between Vedral and Fields is timing. Vedrals original application went in prior to the transfer rule changes in June 2018. At that time....based on precidence not many people here believed that Vedral would get a waiver. Jump ahead to July or August time period and Vedral re-applys under the new rules and gets approved.

Now like it or not the NCAA has taken a different approach and Vedral capitilized on it. Yes he had to sit out half a season because of the timing of it but the bottom line is his excuse for transferring was just as weak as Fields and doesn't represent a conspiracy to give Ohio State a competitive advantage.

This is pretty much a non-issue unless its the idea that the NCAA is getting rid of the 1 year transfer rules.....in which case you should have been mad when they did it with Vedral.
Frankly I'm not buying either players excuse to get the 1 year sit out rule waived......

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back