• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coaching search....

I’d want someone a little younger with a little more fire. Dude’s resume is legit though, he can coach. I think there’s a connection already between him and Moos, I could see Moos making a run at him.

I'm with you. I'm not sure DONU is an older man's job but he would have some credibility that would be unique for Nebraska basketball. We could (and have) done much worse. I'd still go hard after Hoiberg first.

Last edited:
Agree, and again when Miles got the five stars to come visit us, they basically said as much to him. "I had a great visit and it was the best facilities i've seen, but you know i'm not coming here." I'm not trying to be defeated, but not sure what realistic expectations are. So I would prefer someone who has an offense that can be developed with mostly three stars and a few four stars.

On another note, i'm not on the Ty Lue train. But do we favor Hoiberg or Altman? Oregon is sliding mightily.

I don’t think you have to recruit 5 stars to be successful and it isn’t realistic to think that Nebraska basketball can be built that way. They are a different breed of athlete a lot of the time, but a lot are one and done.

There are a lot of successful programs who aren’t farming the 5 star fields.

I believe Nebraska should be able to recruit on par with Creighton, but Creighton has significantly outrecruited Nebraska since their move to the Big East. While you don’t need 5 stars, you also aren’t going to win in the Big 10 consistently with mid-major talent

On paper, Nebraska has good individual players. As a team, they suck.

I don’t think you have to recruit 5 stars to be successful and it isn’t realistic to think that Nebraska basketball can be built that way. They are a different breed of athlete a lot of the time, but a lot are one and done.

There are a lot of successful programs who aren’t farming the 5 star fields.

I believe Nebraska should be able to recruit on par with Creighton, but Creighton has significantly outrecruited Nebraska since their move to the Big East. While you don’t need 5 stars, you also aren’t going to win in the Big 10 consistently with mid-major talent

A lot of truth in this. We could absolutely compete for top 1/3 in the conference, which would mean regular trips to the dance, some ranked teams, and the ability to occasionally pull in a player that could be a difference maker.

If we can put a team on the floor, a disciplined, cohesive, fundamentally sound team that knows how to play tough, all we need is a group of 3* guys, and maybe an occasional 4*, and we’re in the top third year in and year out. We aren’t in this to be making Final 4s, the only way that happens is we pull a Butler or Wiscy and the basketball gods smile on us.

Has Miles seriously not been fired yet? I'm not sure this team will win another game this year with him at the helm.

The offense the last several games is beyond pathetic. I realize they are missing Copeland, but come on. 45 points at home?

Has Miles seriously not been fired yet? I'm not sure this team will win another game this year with him at the helm.

The offense the last several games is beyond pathetic. I realize they are missing Copeland, but come on. 45 points at home?

This team isn’t being held back by anything Miles is doing in game from the bench. The damage and or failures were done over seasons. Toughness, or lack there of, isn’t created or lost from game to game. The process of building toughness was never started.

Last edited:

I am not sure I agree with this statement.

On paper Nebraska has some great athletes. I am not sure they are all great basketball players. There are definitely not great shooters or re bounders. They can definitely make a highlight reel for dunks though. You can blame that on Miles all you want on the development end, but that is the type of player he has recruited. He loves the 6'5-6'7" swing player with long arms for defense and can slash to the basket. Most of these guys came to Nebraska not being great shooters. The got most of their points around the basket.

The blame lies squarely on Miles these are the players he has recruited either out of HS or as transfers. I would take a little more Borchardt hustle and grit and maybe a few guys that can't dunk so well if they could spot up and consistently shoot a 3.

I am not sure I agree with this statement.

. I would take a little more Borchardt hustle and grit and maybe a few guys that can't dunk so well if they could spot up and consistently shoot a 3.
Not really in disagreement but Borchardt didn't make a single shot last night. Rebound wise he didn't do much either. Overall a poor night.

Not really in disagreement but Borchardt didn't make a single shot last night. Rebound wise he didn't do much either. Overall a poor night.

I think you know what I mean thought. I didn't watch the game last night I was at my son's game. I did watch the Wisconsin/Minnesota game though. Man for man neither of those teams probably has as good an athlete as Nebraska had in their starting 5 when Copeland was in the game. But they were good basketball players. They are obviously better coached than at Nebraska, but I would argue they came into their schools with better overall basketball skills to begin with.

You have obviously never coach anything. I know you think it was just a smug cute remark, but neither of my statements is true.

You aren't serious, but I am.

Roby is the epitome of a Miles player.

His teams consistently lack hustle, heart, aggressiveness, fire, and desire. They'll occasionally impress us with their pure athleticism, but the are always fully capable of folding like a cheap tent.

We saw it in 2014-15 -- coming off a rare NCAA Tournament berth, as Pettaway's talent carried that team in 2013-14. He got into a mental funk the following season, and the rest of the team collapsed around him.

Last season, an impressive W-L total during the regular season -- but so predictable when postseason rolled around. As expected, first round exit in the conference tournament, first round exit in the NIT.

I remember this season ... solid start, but collapsed on a couple of road games (Minnesota and Maryland) where we had significant leads well into the second half. Yes, I know winning in the Big Ten on the road isn't easy. But it was so clear to me -- because I've seen this for years now -- one team was fully capable of getting flustered and collapsing under their own mental fragility. Great opportunities flushed away. Again. Because we've seen that over and over. And then doubt starts to creep in, and this fragile team is ready to implode at any point. Honestly -- you pay any attention to Nebraska under Miles, and you know this is true.

Heck, I have no clue who the worst coach in college basketball is --- but Miles is in the bottom 10-15%. He has crapped away more opportunities than any coach in NU sports history. And it's no longer coincidence when it happens year after year, player after player. It's Miles, and he sucks. Zero toughness.

Last edited:

You aren't serious, but I am.

Roby is the epitome of a Miles player.

His teams consistently lack hustle, heart, aggressiveness, fire, and desire. They'll occasionally impress us with their pure athleticism, but the are always fully capable of folding like a cheap tent.

We saw it in 2014-15 -- coming off a rare NCAA Tournament berth, as Pettaway's talent carried that team in 2013-14. He got into a mental funk the following season, and the rest of the team collapsed around him.

Last season, an impressive W-L total during the regular season -- but so predictable when postseason rolled around. As expected, first round exit in the conference tournament, first round exit in the NIT.

I remember this season ... solid start, but collapsed on a couple of road games (Minnesota and Maryland) where we had significant leads well into the second half. Yes, I know winning in the Big Ten on the road isn't easy. But it was so clear to me -- because I've seen this for years now -- one team was fully capable of getting flustered and collapsing under their own mental fragility. Great opportunities flushed away. Again. Because we've seen that over and over. And then doubt starts to creep in, and this fragile team is ready to implode at any point. Honestly -- you pay any attention to Nebraska under Miles, and you know this is true.

Heck, I have no clue who the worst coach in college basketball is --- but Miles is in the bottom 10-15%. He has crapped away more opportunities than any coach in NU sports history. And it's no longer coincidence when it happens year after year, player after player. It's Miles, and he sucks. Zero toughness.

Hey I am not disagreeing with anything you are saying.

But after 25 years of coaching I have never seen a coach turn a kid that is less than aggressive into some sort of monster. It just doesn't happen. They get better, but it never gets great. Roby is way more assertive than he was even at the beginning of last year. He is not turning into Bruno Fernandez on the court though, and that is not Miles fault. That is the kids personality.

We are talking about 2 completely different things. I am talking about making Isiah Roby a more aggressive offensive basketball player which I am sure Miles has worked on with him. Think JPJ. You are talking about Nebraska being a mentally soft and fragile team. Which I agree with, but it is not the same thing.

Hey I am not disagreeing with anything you are saying.

But after 25 years of coaching I have never seen a coach turn a kid that is less than aggressive into some sort of monster. It just doesn't happen. They get better, but it never gets great. Roby is way more assertive than he was even at the beginning of last year. He is not turning into Bruno Fernandez on the court though, and that is not Miles fault. That is the kids personality.

We are talking about 2 completely different things. I am talking about making Isiah Roby a more aggressive offensive basketball player which I am sure Miles has worked on with him. Think JPJ. You are talking about Nebraska being a mentally soft and fragile team. Which I agree with, but it is not the same thing.

That's fair. Obviously, we are all analyzing based only on the couple of games per week we see the results, but it's quite possible Roby is just Roby under any coach. Though I don't think MIles is the type of coach that can bring that aggressiveness out.

Anyhow, I apologize for my frustration. Nebraska basketball is rarely anything less than a bit painful. This season is as bad as it gets, though.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back