• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Sports Illustrated - "uncommittable offers"

Until NU gets back to being BIG RED Frost will likely offer a ton of people to hopefully start a conversation. Unlike Alabama which offered 275 or so and then backed away from some kids (as Texas did with Houston, and Bama with Gates), dont think NU turned down the commit of very many of those 422. Once NU gets back to winning I expect that number to go down quite a bit. Also they will have had more time to establish relationships and evaluate the players that they believe will fit at NU. This first year or so they didnt have that luxury.
The two people who publicly complained were Fair, who had his offer revoked because he hadn't made the academic progress that was expected, and Pola-Mao, who said that all of his suitors had gone quiet in January. It also appears that that was related to some academic issues not being addressed. I don't know the details of either beyond what's been published, but both seem like the sort of situations where the Nebraska coaching staff was sincere in the offer, but they couldn't make the commitment after it was clear that there would be academic issues. The same thing happened with Mapieu last year. In all three situations, and with what we know about Desmond Bland's on-going situation, it would appear that Frost & staff have been above-board in their communications with these players, and they would appear to have been more loyal and patient than most people would expect for someone in their situations.

The only other commitments that we "turned down" that we know of would be someone like Bivens (assuming that he doesn't sign), and it seems clear that there was always a condition on that from the start as he seems to have been waiting for a commit-able offer that (as far as we know) hasn't come yet.

Who am I missing? Can we name anyone else who held "an offer" from Nebraska, tried to commit, and was turned away besides these (or others) with academic issues? As others have mentioned earlier, we (apparently) made several commit-able offers to top QB prospects for the '19 and '20 classes, and McCaffrey and Smothers were the first to accept. It seemed to be implied that Johnson (from Oregon) was interested, but he didn't commit, and that door closed when McCaffrey did.

Am I wrong about any of the above? I'm just summarizing what I've read here and elsewhere, so I'd love to hear more details from anyone who knows more.

The two people who publicly complained were Fair, who had his offer revoked because he hadn't made the academic progress that was expected, and Pola-Mao, who said that all of his suitors had gone quiet in January. It also appears that that was related to some academic issues not being addressed. I don't know the details of either beyond what's been published, but both seem like the sort of situations where the Nebraska coaching staff was sincere in the offer, but they couldn't make the commitment after it was clear that there would be academic issues. The same thing happened with Mapieu last year. In all three situations, and with what we know about Desmond Bland's on-going situation, it would appear that Frost & staff have been above-board in their communications with these players, and they would appear to have been more loyal and patient than most people would expect for someone in their situations.

The only other commitments that we "turned down" that we know of would be someone like Bivens (assuming that he doesn't sign), and it seems clear that there was always a condition on that from the start as he seems to have been waiting for a commit-able offer that (as far as we know) hasn't come yet.

Who am I missing? Can we name anyone else who held "an offer" from Nebraska, tried to commit, and was turned away besides these (or others) with academic issues? As others have mentioned earlier, we (apparently) made several commit-able offers to top QB prospects for the '19 and '20 classes, and McCaffrey and Smothers were the first to accept. It seemed to be implied that Johnson (from Oregon) was interested, but he didn't commit, and that door closed when McCaffrey did.

Am I wrong about any of the above? I'm just summarizing what I've read here and elsewhere, so I'd love to hear more details from anyone who knows more.

I think Fair also openly said he understood why his offer was revoked and he totally understood. I believe he said he still wanted to come here but that is how it goes.

If you are going to proclaim that in general Power 5 CFB recruiting and specifically NU recruiting is some type of benevolent, compassionate undertaking, then there is really no help for you. Go check with all of the transfers in the past year. Check with Greg Bell after he decides NU isn’t for him and see how he feels when Frost and Moos blocked him going to Oregon St. How petty. It’s what have you done lately and if you can’t cut it under Frost you will be gone. Do I need to tally up all of the transfers?

Face it. The recruiting circus in collegiate football and basketball is long overdue for major reform. The NCAA has done a few things with signing and contact dates. And the recent new transfer rules (and portal) are a welcoming addition for players who may not thrive under an autonomous coach or didn’t find the right match in recruiting.

Frankly Frost should save those 4 remaining Scollies for the walk-Ons. If there ever there was a bait and switch idea permeating through CFB and NU that is it. The odds of the high majority of those walk-ons ever getting financial aid from NU is very low. Compared to playing on a full ride at a smaller school it’s a no-brainer. They will understand when the loans come due. Unless, of course your father is Kurt Warner then you are set for life.

Kudos for Frost getting a good class. Hope those kids all stay in school and get a good education and they win a few games along the way. And the NCAA cleans up the recruiting mess ASAP. 400+ offers is just comical.

The bold has absolutely nothing to do with this topic. Nothing. If those guys who transferred out wanted to do what was asked of them...they would still be on the team and may have had a great career here. This is discussion is about offers. The blocking of Bell to Oregon State comment in this context is what is comical. Bell hasn't transferred anywhere. He took his ball and went to his room. He could have worked his butt off instead and still been part of the team. As far as petty goes, have you read some of your posts? And tally as many transfers as you want...it's not what we have been talking about. This discussion has been about offers. So let's focus on that.

Let's look at the 422 offers that 247Sports has posted for each group: QB-10, APB-7, RB-29, WR-49, TE-15, OT-48, OG-22, C-6, WDE-29, SDE-19, DT-30, ILB-18, OLB-32, CB-52, S-28, ATH-26, P-3. You notice that CB, WR, and OT had the most. Why? Those were some of the biggest areas of need. The number of WRs on scholarship is not where the staff wants it. And it's always possible to move your OT recruits to the interior. Anyway, of those offered, less than 20 have committed and/or signed with other schools. Those who haven't are probably having trouble academically.

Here's the deal...Tell me it's sad that the staff didn't get a single true CB recruit with 52 offers and I'll agree with you. Apparently, they weren't making traction with anyone, so they offered more recruits. Do you think Nebraska said the following to any of the CB recruits this year? "No. We changed our minds. We don't need a cornerback this year."

Maybe, just maybe, the staff should have a set number of offers and just shut it down after that number is reached. "Hmmmm, well, we tried. Ten new recruits is enough this year."

As this program gets back to where Frost and staff are trying to return it to, the number of offers will go down. Until then, this staff is going to contact recruits who fit the system and see who they will get to help change the program.

Here's the 247Sports Link.

Last edited:
The bold has absolutely nothing to do with this topic. Nothing. If those guys who transferred out wanted to do what was asked of them...they would still be on the team and may have had a great career here. This is discussion is about offers. The blocking of Bell to Oregon State comment in this context is what is comical. Bell hasn't transferred anywhere. He took his ball and went to his room. He could have worked his butt off instead and still been part of the team. As far as petty goes, have you read some of your posts? And tally as many transfers as you want...it's not what we have been talking about. This discussion has been about offers. So let's focus on that.

Let's look at the 422 offers that 247Sports has posted for each group: QB-10, APB-7, RB-29, WR-49, TE-15, OT-48, OG-22, C-6, WDE-29, SDE-19, DT-30, ILB-18, OLB-32, CB-52, S-28, ATH-26, P-3. You notice that CB, WR, and OT had the most. Why? Those were some of the biggest areas of need. The number of WRs on scholarship is not where the staff wants it. And it's always possible to move your OT recruits to the interior. Anyway, of those offered, less than 20 have committed and/or signed with other schools. Those who haven't are probably having trouble academically.

Here's the deal...Tell me it's sad that the staff didn't get a single true CB recruit with 52 offers and I'll agree with you. Apparently, they weren't making traction with anyone, so they offered more recruits. Do you think Nebraska said the following to any of the CB recruits this year? "No. We changed our minds. We don't need a cornerback this year."

Maybe, just maybe, the staff should have a set number of offers and just shut it down after that number is reached. "Hmmmm, well, we tried. Ten new recruits is enough this year."

As this program gets back to where Frost and staff are trying to return it to, the number of offers will go down. Until then, this staff is going to contact recruits who fit the system and see who they will get to help change the program.

Here's the 247Sports Link.
Gracias for bolding my talking points as they are surely part of the entire recruiting problem. But if you want to just talk bait and switch then you don’t have to look any further than Hollywood Houston. Texas pulled that on him according to the Journal Star. If you think the rest of the Big 12, SEC, B1G, including NU, doesn’t do the same thing possibly under the guise of academic problems, legal issues, injuries etc, then there is little reason to continue this discourse. It happens all the time. Teams and staffs fall in and out of love on players just as athletes do with teams. But 422 offers just smacks of desperation and very little research of the individual. Face it, the practice is a publicity stunt and leaves NU open to the bait and switch talk.

PS...the fact Bell hasn’t transferred anywhere makes the restriction to OSU all that more ridiculous. Talk about insecurity.

https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...cle_254b7297-f6f2-51fe-b12d-d41c6dc840ff.html

Last edited:

Gracias for bolding my talking points as they are surely part of the entire recruiting problem. But if you want to just talk bait and switch then you don’t have to look any further than Hollywood Houston. Texas pulled that on him according to the Journal Star. If you think the rest of the Big 12, SEC, B1G, including NU, doesn’t do the same thing possibly under the guise of academic problems, legal issues, injuries etc, then there is little reason to continue this discourse. It happens all the time. Teams and staffs fall in and out of love on players just as athletes do with teams. But 422 offers just smacks of desperation and very little research of the individual. Face it, the practice is a publicity stunt and leaves NU open to the bait and switch talk.

https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...cle_254b7297-f6f2-51fe-b12d-d41c6dc840ff.html

Guise??? :Clap::Rolf::Rolf::Rolf:

PS...the fact Bell hasn’t transferred anywhere makes the restriction to OSU all that more ridiculous. Talk about insecurity.

Again, when did Nebraska pull the bait and switch on any of their recruits this year?

Bell had no connection that anyone knows about. The restriction was placed because there was thought about OSU talking to recruits before the transfer portal started.

Academic issues is actually a reason that an offer isn't something that cannot turn into a a signing. It's kind of a rule. It's all the communication process.

I already said there were issues with recruiting...the number of offers if handled the correct way isn't the challenge. I see no evidence that this staff has done anything else.

Good luck with your bridge.

If you are going to proclaim that in general Power 5 CFB recruiting and specifically NU recruiting is some type of benevolent, compassionate undertaking, then there is really no help for you. Go check with all of the transfers in the past year. Check with Greg Bell after he decides NU isn’t for him and see how he feels when Frost and Moos blocked him going to Oregon St. How petty. It’s what have you done lately and if you can’t cut it under Frost you will be gone. Do I need to tally up all of the transfers?

Face it. The recruiting circus in collegiate football and basketball is long overdue for major reform. The NCAA has done a few things with signing and contact dates. And the recent new transfer rules (and portal) are a welcoming addition for players who may not thrive under an autonomous coach or didn’t find the right match in recruiting.

Frankly Frost should save those 4 remaining Scollies for the walk-Ons. If there ever there was a bait and switch idea permeating through CFB and NU that is it. The odds of the high majority of those walk-ons ever getting financial aid from NU is very low. Compared to playing on a full ride at a smaller school it’s a no-brainer. They will understand when the loans come due. Unless, of course your father is Kurt Warner then you are set for life.

Kudos for Frost getting a good class. Hope those kids all stay in school and get a good education and they win a few games along the way. And the NCAA cleans up the recruiting mess ASAP. 400+ offers is just comical.

Is there anything you like about Frost?

You’ve got to be kidding? 422 offers is a gross example of a system that is broken. At the very least it becomes a joke that an athlete got an ‘offer’ from Nebraska. This year damn nearly everybody got an offer. We know it’s not a scholarship offer. It’s a publicity stunt. Nebraska and every institution of higher learning that is scatter-shooting offers should strive to do better. Plus if you think NU isnt leveraging the recruiting landscape like the big boys in the SEC and B1G, then I’ve got some ownership opportunities on a bridge in Brooklyn for you.

It's obvious you have never earned a living as a salesman.

I already said there were issues with recruiting...
Well that’s a nice concession. Of course there are problems. We can agree to disagree on the 400+ offers where there is no way on God’s green earth that NU can know of the background of each player. Or the optics suggested by a scatter-shot policy for an institution of alleged higher learning. What 9th or 10th grader did NU offer today?

Last edited:
Well that’s a nice concession. Of course there are problems. We can agree to disagree on the 400+ offers where there is no way on God’s green earth that NU can know of the background of each player. Or the optics suggested by a scatter-shot policy for an institution of alleged higher learning. What 9th or 10th grader did NU offer today?

YOu're really gonna be mad when Nebraska wins 10 games next year.

When staffs are getting to know the background of each player and watching film, they may reach out and talk with the player. During this time, if there is an initial offer with an explanation of what the staff needs to see to make it commitable, I still have no problem with that as this staff rebuilds the program. It's called good communication. With good communication, the "bait and switch" is not an issue. And again, some kids take initial contacts as offers and tweet out "I got an offer to Nebraska" even if they didn't. That goes down as an offer by those services keeping track. No one on the staff can say..."No, he doesn't have an offer" because they can only discuss athletes who have signed with the program. Each program has different ways to handle what they do. The way the offers are communicated to recruits is important. Until you step in the shoes of the staff doing the recruiting or the athlete being recruited, it's pretty difficult to grasp the nature of recruiting. This staff knows what they want for each position...scatter-shot is not what they are doing.

Clueless, party of 1? Looks like you are a Stanford fan. Cardinal, Is that you?

Maybe its the lawyer in me, but an uncommittable offer is not actually an offer. Maybe the rule should be that a kid can sign right away when they receive an offer, otherwise its just a big dance. Allowing the kid to sign immediately would seem to benefit everyone involved. The schools know who they have and who is just stringing them along. The kids know they actually have a plan and can close down the recruiting process. I have no idea if this would benefit or hurt the Huskers.​
I think this would hurt the Huskers. Since we are not in a high density population area, we aren't able to evaluate on a constant basis. you would basically cut down the net you are trying to entice players with. When we get to be a top 10 team on a regular basis, you might be able to cut down the amount of offers extended. (just because your brand is more recognized and valued)

A) I would have loved a Stanford offer, but I am very conservative and believe your band should wear actual uniforms.

2) I loved that gif that showed paper just spewing out of the machine, I assume that represented offers going out, that was funny.

Finally) Who cares how many offers go out and if they are committable, that word doesn't mean much in today's day and age.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back