• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Overthinking Overtime

I think the NFL has pretty good rules for OT as long as we are talking about the playoff rules (no ties). You have to drive the length of the field and score a touchdown in order to stop the other offense from having a shot, that seems pretty fair to me.

I prefer the NFL's rules to college because the NFL basically just puts more time on the clock, whereas college totally changes the game to redzone only pretty much, which is logically inconsistent and too predisposed to scoring in my opinion.

I get it that they are looking out for the players. Whenever NU goes into OT I worry about player fatigue and injury. The 2 point conversion rule seems like a decent solution.

Maybe for 2019 they can institute a rule where the head coaches stand at the goal line and throw the ball as far as they an. Coach with the longest throw wins. I like our chances!
But will you still like it when Scott Frost is celebrating his 35th season as head coach?;)

Did anyone doubt that New Orleans would have scored if they got the ball first? Oh wait, they did get the ball first
Thank you for the chaotic response to my earlier post. FWIW, I have already conceded the issue in a later post. Also, I was working off bad memory in that I thought statistically the coin toss winner had a higher percentage of winning. My memory has since been updated.

I appreciate this opportunity that you have given me to correct myself.

Rams got it done... Chiefs not so much! Had it gone the other way I doubt we'd see a lot of people whining and sneveling how the Pats got cheated because they never got the ball back? Seems to be more of issue about WHO won as opposed to HOW?

Chiefs are a very good team in search of a defense imo....... Find one for next season and they'll be favorites to get to the SB in 2020. I'm a huge NFL fan and just hoping for a really good SB.....
I'm glad the Rams are in it versus NOS but Rams didn't get it done they benefitted from one of the most horrific non-calls in the history of playoff football.

I'm OK with the non-call for PI but where's the egregious helmet to helmet call?

not a fan of the NCAA overtime at all. and i really don't understand all the crying about "both teams should get the chance to score"
if you can't stop a team from going 75 yards and scoring a TD on the first possession then you don't deserve to win.

i think they should go to a format where they play the game the same way they do the first 60 minutes of the game and the first team to score 6 points wins whether that's 2 field goals or one touchdown.

i also never had a problem with the ties in college football, but i know we will never go back to those unfortunately.

and i really don't understand all the crying about "both teams should get the chance to score"
if you can't stop a team from going 75 yards and scoring a TD on the first possession then you don't deserve to win.

That line of thinking makes no sense to me. Why not have that same rule for regulation? If a team scores on the first possession of regulation, game over. If you're defense can't stop 'em when they're fresh, you don't deserve to win.

not a fan of the NCAA overtime at all. and i really don't understand all the crying about "both teams should get the chance to score"

i think they should go to a format where they play the game the same way they do the first 60 minutes of the game and the first team to score 6 points wins whether that's 2 field goals or one touchdown.

i also never had a problem with the ties in college football, but i know we will never go back to those unfortunately.
What if the other team is also incapable of stopping a 75 yard drive but happens to win the toss and gets the ball first?

What if the other team is also incapable of stopping a 75 yard drive but happens to win the toss and gets the ball first?
Well in that hypothetical it sounds like the game would be stuck in an endless loop of 75 yard touchdown drives, in which case a rule that would prevent an endless loop sounds pretty reasonable.

I guess I don't get the angst about ties. You obviously can't allow ties in CCGs or CFP games but a regular season game ending in a tie might feel unsatisfying but, after three overtimes, would be the appropriate result. It seems to me it would have been a pretty accurate reflection of the game had the A&M-LSU game ended in a tie after the third overtime, more so than how it actually ended.

Edit:For clarity from my previous post, I think they should leave it alone. If they feel compelled to do something with it, I think they should declare that regular season games that are undecided after three overtimes are recorded as ties.

Last edited:

Well in that hypothetical it sounds like the game would be stuck in an endless loop of 75 yard touchdown drives, in which case a rule that would prevent an endless loop sounds pretty reasonable.
The point is a football team should be deciding its fate in OT, not just the defense

It would be like having a free throw shooting contest decide basketball.
As a basketball coach, I can definitively state that free throws win championships. Even Shaq at the height of his powers had to upgrade his free-throw shooting to prevent losing to inferior teams. Basketball games and championships have been decided by free throws since free throws were invented. As a former player who was an excellent free throw shooter but mediocre scorer in almost every other way: Thank God for free throws! It's the only reason girls noticed that I played basketball, and that was pretty dang important when I was about 16 to 17 years old. ;-)
No one likes hockey shootouts for that reason.
I have to disagree again. I like hockey, but there's nothing more exciting to me in hockey than an OT shootout. I am NOT much of a fan of soccer (but my wife is), so OT penalty kick shootouts are the ONLY time that I find soccer interesting. Heck, I even think the Dr. Pepper Shoot-Out is fun to watch.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back