• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Overthinking Overtime

1OT: Normal
2OT: Must go for 2PC after scoring
3OT: The offense gets a 12th man. The defense gets a rabid gorilla. If the gorilla can force a turnover and gain possession of the ball, the defense automatically wins.

Last edited:
College OT. Start at the 50 yard line. Earn the FG. 2 minute possessions with no timeouts for either team (only normal clock stoppages).

NFL. Same. There is no way to defend the current system where both teams may not get a possession. So stop trying some of you!!!!! :Taunt:

The Chiefs game is exactly why the NFL overtime rules don't work. Does anyone doubt that the Chiefs would have scored had they won the toss?
Both teams should be allowed an opportunity to win the game, KC never got the opportunity. In reality, the college system is much better than the NFL system.

I think they should leave it alone. The marathon OT games happen once every five or six years. The elevated injury risk of very long games to the average college football player is essentially zero because there are very few players that will ever play in a six or seven OT game. It seems like a rush to fix something that is not broken.

The offense gets a 12th man. The defense gets a rabid gorilla. If the gorilla can force a turnover and gain possession of the ball, the defense automatically wins.
This, only start straight up in the first OT period. And, let the rabid gorilla toss the coin, every man for himself after the coin drops.

I get it that they are looking out for the players. Whenever NU goes into OT I worry about player fatigue and injury. The 2 point conversion rule seems like a decent solution.

Maybe for 2019 they can institute a rule where the head coaches stand at the goal line and throw the ball as far as they an. Coach with the longest throw wins. I like our chances!

College OT. Start at the 50 yard line. Earn the FG. 2 minute possessions with no timeouts for either team (only normal clock stoppages).

NFL. Same. There is no way to defend the current system where both teams may not get a possession. So stop trying some of you!!!!! :Taunt:

However don't let the FACTS get in the way of your argument.........

NFL Regular Season (110 OT games):

• Wins by team that possesses the ball first: 52 (47.3%)
    • Of these wins, 18 were on an opening drive TD (34.6% of team with first possession wins, 16.4% overall overtime games)
  • Wins by team that possesses the ball second: 51 (46.4%)
  • Ties: 7 (6.4%)
It's statistically meaningless when there is a 1% difference between which team wins the toss and which team wins. A man sees what he wants to see and disregards the rest...........

I think they should remove kickers from the equation in college. Not a good position for a pimply-faced 19yo to be in. Plus, kicking shouldn’t decide a game that blood, sweat and tears were spilled in. It would be like having a free throw shooting contest decide basketball. No one likes hockey shootouts for that reason. Move ‘em back, all tds followed by 2pt conversions, three downs instead of four.....all would help.

As for the pros, being on D is different than earlier in the game. A TD and it is over. The DC is unlikely to play anything other than vanilla D. You could be fired if you cost your team a chance at the Super Bowl if you call a blitz and a quick slant turns into an easy touchdown. It was pretty easy for the Pats to dunk and dunk their way down the field. Kinda handcuffed on D.
Free throws do decide basketball games just as a kicker could decide a football game.

KC Chiefs had a chance ... how many times did NEP convert on 3rd and long?
I'm not going off of the Chiefs game, I hardly watch any NFL. I get your point, but also whos to say they don't do the same right back. But yeah get a defense and make key stops.

I'm not going off of the Chiefs game, I hardly watch any NFL. I get your point, but also whos to say they don't do the same right back. But yeah get a defense and make key stops.
Rams got it done... Chiefs not so much! Had it gone the other way I doubt we'd see a lot of people whining and sneveling how the Pats got cheated because they never got the ball back? Seems to be more of issue about WHO won as opposed to HOW?

Chiefs are a very good team in search of a defense imo....... Find one for next season and they'll be favorites to get to the SB in 2020. I'm a huge NFL fan and just hoping for a really good SB.....

Maybe for 2019 they can institute a rule where the head coaches stand at the goal line and throw the ball as far as they an. Coach with the longest throw wins. I like our chances!

Where is Brady Hoke these days? Or Mark Mangino?

Now I just want to see a hail mary shootout with a bunch of old or non-athletic coaches. Mack Brown vs Charlie Weiss. That kind of stuff.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back