• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What would you look for in a new coach?

What would you prefer in Nebraska's next head coach

• Total voters
Thinking a little more about this, what Miles was brought in to address was poor recruiting and boring offense. The complaints at the time were that Sadler had a good defense, but he was starting walk-ons and the offense was boring at best, unwatchable at worst.

So Miles has done something to address the talent, but we're right back to starting walk-ons, even if Tanner is a little bit of an outlier as a walk-on. I don't want to lose defense first, but I really would like to have an offense, and be able to recruit good players.

It sounds like I want a better Miles... should I wait for this coach to get better?

So I vote you as the coach. You seem to know all the inside scoop as fact.
giphy.gif

Tough question.

He absolutely has to be at least "good" at both. You can get solid 3 and 4 star talent to come to nu. That's good enough to dancing. To make the tourney a regular thing and win games he needs a couple of those guys to become more than they were projected to be (development).

You aren't going to make a living off of Nebraska kids. There will be ebbs and flows in-state but the new guy must be able to recruit nationally.
I probably worded it a bit wrong.... was more of the "what do we think will get us the best return" type of question. I certainly wouldn't want a great recruiter that stunk at actual coaching and development. Certainly needs to be some of both. Mac at Crayton is a good example. Gets his share of 4 stars and develops the crap out of them.

I probably worded it a bit wrong.... was more of the "what do we think will get us the best return" type of question. I certainly wouldn't want a great recruiter that stunk at actual coaching and development. Certainly needs to be some of both. Mac at Crayton is a good example. Gets his share of 4 stars and develops the crap out of them.
much better phrasing. what gets us the best return at Nebraska? for Basketball? IMO a developer. all day, every day. If there is anywhere in the country that has a fan base for bball that would tolerate ugly wins in the 50 pt range, its here. Duke, KU, heck no. those places need to win and be entertained.

I'd look for a fundamentals, program building, developer who can take tryhards and die hards, and turn them into good bball players. Build a foundation and a culture within the bball program that starts to expect certain things. When you play NU, you're gonna get banged on. You better be ready to box out and rebound when you play NU. You better have your fancy pants 5stars ready to dive on the floor and take charges when you play NU, cause that team is gonna wear you down. Start winning games like that, and then build it it from there. I'd love to see that, cause I believe thats the TYPE of bball program NU could build.

I voted developer. Miles has some talent here now, but I have seen what it looks like when it isn't developed and I don't like it. Plus I think it's more realistic for Nebraska. The facilities and fan support should be able to help get at least halfway decent recruits, but it still isn't going to get better recruits than many of the teams they will face on a regular basis. For the most part, I don't care what system the coach runs as long as the coaching staff knows what they are doing and gets wins. One thing I would like to see is good shot selection. I am no expert, but when I watch college basketball, I cringe seeing teams take ill-advised shots. To me, that is something coaches can control more than they do through teaching and getting players to understand the idea of playing to their strengths.

For a good example of a good recruiter and a sh..ty coach tune into the creighton-st. John's game. Mullen has some players...and if they are on they can hang with anyone. But mostly they just suck.

They aren’t mutually exclusive. One that’s going to last at Nebraska long-term will need to do both. Doc and Miles are perfect examples of someone who can only do one.

Recuiter.

What is a developer in Bball?
You can't weight train them for three years like you do o-lineman in football?
You can't make them stronger linebacker, faster d-backs, WR, or running backs.
Weight training can't make a guy taller, maybe jump a little higher but a 6'5" guy still is not going to out jump a 6'9" guy because all the good schools have training programs.

Can't run "plays" when the 6"9" can just jump over your screen and still block the shooters shot.

And a hustling 6'5" guy can defend the 6'9" for a while but in the second half the bigger guy will get the smaller guy in foul trouble and that's that.

Face it, Nebraska has never won a tournament game because save for a few years in the 1960's we have never had a lot of talent on an one team. And the best way to get the talent to win a Big Ten title, get to the Final Four, is to recruit it!

Sure coaching it on game day, and improving the players skills once they are on campus (is this "development") is helpful. But I would rather try to win the Big Ten improving and coaching a 5* than a 2 or 3* wouldn't you (said the entire history of DONU basketball)!

PS: If you want Hoiberg as your next coach, you voted recruiter as he goes and gets players , he doesn't develop them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Recuiter.

What is a developer in Bball?
You can't weight train them for three years like you do o-lineman in football?
You can't make them stronger linebacker, faster d-backs, WR, or running backs.
Weight training can't make a guy taller, maybe jump a little higher but a 6'5" guy still is not going to out jump a 6'9" guy because all the good schools have training programs.

Can't run "plays" when the 6"9" can just jump over your screen and still block the shooters shot.

And a hustling 6'5" guy can defend the 6'9" for a while but in the second half the bigger guy will get the smaller guy in foul trouble and that's that.

Face it, Nebraska has never won a tournament game because save for a few years in the 1960's we have never had a lot of talent on an one team. And the best way to get the talent to win a Big Ten title, get to the Final Four, is to recruit it!

Sure coaching it on game day, and improving the players skills once they are on campus (is this "development") is helpful. But I would rather try to win the Big Ten improving and coaching a 5* than a 2 or 3* wouldn't you (said the entire history of DONU basketball)!

PS: If you want Hoiberg as your next coach, you voted recruiter as he goes and gets players , he doesn't develop them.

Disagree with that assessment vehemently. Hoiberg did both...very well. He wasnt scared to take transfers and make them better, but he had guys like Ejim and Niang as well. I can’t remember if it was Monte Morris or which guard it was, but Hoiberg had a big impact on his shooting in particular, and it was Fred directly coaching him on technique. He’s a technician and great at in-game decisions, especially out of bounds plays...many of which I believe came straight from Johnny Orr’s playbook.

More here...

https://cyclones.com/coaches.aspx?rc=700

Last edited:
It's a tough question to answer. You have to get a certain level of talent, or all the development in the world won't matter. At the same time, we aren't going to get the kind of talent that blueblood programs bring in. I guess if I have to pick one, I would say developer because they are going to have to get a decent level of talent and then coach 'em up. I want us to play good, sound basketball which includes looking like we have a clue on offense. We have some guys that can shoot the ball. I just don't think we are running a system that allows them to know they are going to get consistently good looks that are in their wheelhouse.

I think we need to dangle a very large check in front of Hoiberg and hope the money, proximity to home, fan base and facilities, as well as the chance to compete in the B1G are enough to get his attention. There is no earthly reason Nebraska basketball should suck like this. Breaking the cycle starts with laying out the cash for a quality coach.

Last edited:
I voted developer, because I think if you are going to recruit Nebraska you have to be able to develop those kids. You aren't getting many four stars coming from our state. And I look at Creighton, who doesn't get a ton of studs in, but develop them to their system. I think you need to get a guy every year that's a difference maker, but I think at Nebraska you have to be able to develop.

I again share the story of Okafor coming here and sitting in Miles office and stating "I had a great time, but you know I can't come here." I just think we need to develop kids as we aren't going to be getting elite players.

I voted the same way

Watching the 2nd half of the game last night and listening to comments regarding Wisconsin just doing what they do, I couldn't help but chuckle, not only because we see the likes of the Badgers, Spartans, Hawkeyes, etc just do what they do, we also see Nebraska do what it does ... produce one or two significant scoring droughts per game, and look stressed/disheveled in the half court game.

If Moos decides to move on from Miles, my hope is that he brings in a coach who can recognize talent, athleticism, effort, and basketball intelligence - and who can develop who he brings in to deftly run whatever system he is recruiting to.

We need someone that can DEVELOP. We are not going to get the Top 5 star's to come here with the current situation. We have to be able to get someone at the next level and then strike lighting in a bottle to some extent by developing those recruits to their max potential or beyond.

Tough question.

I think facilities, fan support, and opportunity to play B1G basketball should bring in solid talent.

I think development is also a difficult question. Most B1G players would have been playing AAU and developed habits (good or bad) already. What additional development are we expecting? Which coaches do we think are the best developers in today's college game? Do the big name coaches still develop or are they able to just get the best talent and win games with a good system?

I think our fundamental problem this season is valuing the basketball. I've told my son, who has played low-level travel basketball for 8 years (he's now 16 and playing some on the sophomore/JV high school team), that each team gets the same number of possessions. You have to maximize your opportunities and force the other team to struggle with theirs. It's a simple concept, yet I see our guys rushing shots, driving into 3 defenders, seeming to be panicked when things go bad, etc.. Is our system predictable and easily defended?

They aren’t mutually exclusive. One that’s going to last at Nebraska long-term will need to do both. Doc and Miles are perfect examples of someone who can only do one.
Certainly aren’t mutually exclusive, but people are fooling themselves if we are going to get an established person who does those things in Lincoln. They are at Duke, Michigan state, etc.

GET TICKETS

Back