• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Perspective and this 8 game skid

Not snagging one could begin more ‘hot seat’ conversation, and that can get in the head of a player. The win against PSU looks even less exciting after they were toyed with by MSU.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spo...ecap-Tom-Izzo-Patrick-Chambers-127800320/Amp/

The stat that scared the crap out of me in that game was Sparty having a 41-28 rebound advantage, when PSU had a 46-32 advantage over us. We need to get tougher on the boards or it’s going to be a tough road to 11 conference wins.
yea, the boards is the problem. Yet effort is key............Miles needs to chew butt if he hasnt already

I agree to an extent, but Im not sure why not winning tonight on the road in a game where we will not be favored against a top 25 team and then not winning at home against a top 10 team should be reason for over concern like that. Even if we were playing well, neither of these games would be expected to be an NU win. But we have to go on a winning streak after. We arent far off where we should be........maybe a game or MAYBE two. Its how we've looked on the court as of late thats the concern I guess

This is where I think you and I look at basketball differently. I know you feel I’m overly negative about our play, even in games we win, but it’s because I know teams MUST improve over the course of a season.

When we simply overpowered some of those early games with our talent, I wanted to see them work a little more on some of their weaknesses, improve some of the structure in the offense, get some meaningful minutes for reserves, especially working in with the starters. See most don’t realize that the ‘empty the bench’ time doesn’t really help in developing depth. You don’t sub in 4 or 5 guys in one shot during the course of a game. Heiman, Nana, Harris and Thor don’t need to learn how to play together, they need to learn to play with the starters, and that might take more than 60 seconds.

When Palmer was driving and scoring on guys who were bouncing off him because he was just a much better athlete, that did little to prepare him to deal with the physical grind of the B1G, when guys aren’t bouncing off, and are actually quick enough to get in front of you. That’s when you work on knowing where and who to kick out to. That’s when you develop that timing that helps you reduce scoring droughts.

Miles is a great guy, but he concerns me when it comes to seeing how to develop a team that grows throughout the season. Sometimes I think he gets a little caught up in wanting the guys to have fun and like him...especially the stars, and it’s cost him control of the team at times.

This is where I think you and I look at basketball differently. I know you feel I’m overly negative about our play, even in games we win, but it’s because I know teams MUST improve over the course of a season.

When we simply overpowered some of those early games with our talent, I wanted to see them work a little more on some of their weaknesses, improve some of the structure in the offense, get some meaningful minutes for reserves, especially working in with the starters. See most don’t realize that the ‘empty the bench’ time doesn’t really help in developing depth. You don’t sub in 4 or 5 guys in one shot during the course of a game. Heiman, Nana, Harris and Thor don’t need to learn how to play together, they need to learn to play with the starters, and that might take more than 60 seconds.

When Palmer was driving and scoring on guys who were bouncing off him because he was just a much better athlete, that did little to prepare him to deal with the physical grind of the B1G, when guys aren’t bouncing off, and are actually quick enough to get in front of you. That’s when you work on knowing where and who to kick out to. That’s when you develop that timing that helps you reduce scoring droughts.

Miles is a great guy, but he concerns me when it comes to seeing how to develop a team that grows throughout the season. Sometimes I think he gets a little caught up in wanting the guys to have fun and like him...especially the stars, and it’s cost him control of the team at times.
We don't disagree like you think.
I for one, think Miles is a sub par coach at best and a poor coach at worst. He's recruited well but the PBA created an opportunity for that in ways that I'm not sure past coaches wouldn't have matched if given the chance to recruit with.
This team has not played as well as I tgthoug and some of your concerns I agree with.
With that said, we looked really goodagainst Maryland, but just couldn't get it done in the road against what is now a top 20 team. Not unexpected. We looked poor at Iowa and Minnesota and a lil lackidasical against PSU.... otherwise weve played well the rest of the year against teams like Clemson and s hall out of PBA, and dominated at home. All things that could be expected when grinding away at a long season. Every team has lulls. And every team has runs. The last few games could be our lull or maybe we are missing something. Either way we are still in position to pull it together and make a run.
I'm just more of a half glass full than you.
This team has weakness but we always will...we aren't KU or Duke. Weak bench, lack of big man......but it's still as good as a starting five as we've had in my nearly 40 years as a husker fan. I agree with your concerns though, it's just not as desparate as it may seem to me

Last edited:
I’m not sure this team is capable of winning a road game, regardless of opponent. Just no mental toughness or drive.

But I agree that last year’s snub helps this team with a dance invite, even with a slightly less impressive resume.

Indiana... boom!

Sorry. I don't want to start a new thread. I'm watching duke Virginia , game almost over . Both teams have only made a couple of threes. Good teams , Duke wins.

I like Tim Miles but I worry about us settling for mediocrity. From a strategy and tactics standpoint, I only know a little about basketball but you'd think that with the facilities, The Vault, plus the general Moos-Frost hype around Nebraska athletics, we could really spring for a top notch BB coach if Miles isn't getting it done.

Basketball will never overtake Husker football, but I'd like to see us actually be respectably competitive. This year started with a bang and now we're just getting embarrassed game after game. Feels like Mike Riley.

I might be totally wrong on this, but did Miles miss all those bunny shots in yesterday's game against OSU? Unbelievable lack of touch by all players.

Also, just no extra effort by anyone in trying to secure a loose ball. It's as if they have been taught that the ball has to hit the court first before you can snag a rebound.

I predicted a month ago that this team would tank. They simply do not/ cannot sustain a competitive fire to close out games.

I might be totally wrong on this, but did Miles miss all those bunny shots in yesterday's game against OSU? Unbelievable lack of touch by all players.

Also, just no extra effort by anyone in trying to secure a loose ball. It's as if they have been taught that the ball has to hit the court first before you can snag a rebound.
That's ridiculous. Of course he didn't, but it's his job to get the absolute best out of his talent(the bench notwithstanding) and he has failed to do this, for 7 years now. If Miles isn't gonzo after the end of this season, I, and many others around here, will be surprised. Miles needs to start putting out his feelers for a new job, because he is pretty much done in Lincoln if we don't hit the 20 win mark and grab our first ever tourney win.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back