• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Perspective and this 8 game skid

GIFRRO

Scout Team
10 Year Member
So I realize many of our frustrated right now. I thought at Iowa, we played poorly overall but the loss at MD we played really well even though we didnt get it done on the road which would have been an upset. So rather stay all frustrated heres the deal for our beloved Husker team.......more talented and experienced then any team since Neebasketball.

This 8 game skid is set up for us to need to go at least 5-3. But this is very doable. If we can do that, we end up 50/50 in the big ten with a then a very, very favorable 5 game skid of at purdue, minn at home, NW at home, at pstate, and purdue at home. No reason we dont go 4-1 there as we will be favored in every game in that stretch. That would put us at 10-7 with at Mich at at M state being losses to go 10-9 with the final game a revenge home night against iowa (senior night). Im saying we dont lose that game and then are 11-9 in big ten play. Puts us in the tourny IMO. This is all very dobable for this team. The only thing this team has NOT done in Big ten play to this point that myself and most pundits would have expected, was for us to win one of the away games of Minn, iowa, or MD. Otherwise we are right where we should have expected this team to be.
Lots of fun left in this season. Honestly I believe the biggest issue these last few weeks is that weve been tested so little this year and had so many easy wins, this team needed to be reminded of how tougher Big 10 play is compared to what happened prior. A veteran team should have known that, but has forgot. Hopefully these last few weeks have reminded them.
GBR this will be fun!

So I looked at last year's Big 10 standings to get an idea of where a game or two above .500 puts you. Wrong year to look at that. Nebraska at 13.5 tied for 4th. Next best record? 9-9. That was an odd year.

Anyway, in 2016-2017 10-8 got you a 4 way tie for 5th. So let's say 11-9 gets no worse than 6th. Yes, that's an easy NCAA tourney selection. Assuming NU goes 9-1 at home I don't see much trouble going 11-9 in conference.

I’m not sure this team is capable of winning a road game, regardless of opponent. Just no mental toughness or drive.

But I agree that last year’s snub helps this team with a dance invite, even with a slightly less impressive resume.

I’m not sure this team is capable of winning a road game, regardless of opponent. Just no mental toughness or drive.

But I agree that last year’s snub helps this team with a dance invite, even with a slightly less impressive resume.
I think the problem is that the individuals are reasonably tough (Glynn Watson, Isaac Copeland especially) but they don't count on their team-mates to be tough and therefore aren't tough as a team. The guys off the bench can have all the enthusiasm and drive in the world, but the starters are the ones that need to make that change.

So I realize many of our frustrated right now. I thought at Iowa, we played poorly overall but the loss at MD we played really well even though we didnt get it done on the road which would have been an upset. So rather stay all frustrated heres the deal for our beloved Husker team.......more talented and experienced then any team since Neebasketball.

This 8 game skid is set up for us to need to go at least 5-3. But this is very doable. If we can do that, we end up 50/50 in the big ten with a then a very, very favorable 5 game skid of at purdue, minn at home, NW at home, at pstate, and purdue at home. No reason we dont go 4-1 there as we will be favored in every game in that stretch. That would put us at 10-7 with at Mich at at M state being losses to go 10-9 with the final game a revenge home night against iowa (senior night). Im saying we dont lose that game and then are 11-9 in big ten play. Puts us in the tourny IMO. This is all very dobable for this team. The only thing this team has NOT done in Big ten play to this point that myself and most pundits would have expected, was for us to win one of the away games of Minn, iowa, or MD. Otherwise we are right where we should have expected this team to be.
Lots of fun left in this season. Honestly I believe the biggest issue these last few weeks is that weve been tested so little this year and had so many easy wins, this team needed to be reminded of how tougher Big 10 play is compared to what happened prior. A veteran team should have known that, but has forgot. Hopefully these last few weeks have reminded them.
GBR this will be fun!

You realize your usage of the word "skid" is kind of confusing, right ?

GBR this will be fun!

I think you underestimate how the committee will look at how we finish the year. If we stagger in, with more losses than wins late, and don’t perform well in the B1G tourney, nothing is guaranteed. At that point we’d be a team that didn’t meet preseason expectations, got bounced in the 1st round of the NIT after pouting about our snub last year, and likely earning a second year of ‘better luck next time’.

I think you underestimate how the committee will look at how we finish the year. If we stagger in, with more losses than wins late, and don’t perform well in the B1G tourney, nothing is guaranteed. At that point we’d be a team that didn’t meet preseason expectations, got bounced in the 1st round of the NIT after pouting about our snub last year, and likely earning a second year of ‘better luck next time’.
that Happens, I will lead the fire Tim Miles bandwagon
With that said, just because we arent playing as well as we should right not, doesnt mean we still will be in Feb and even late Jan

Last edited:
that Happens, I will lead the fire Tim Miles bandwagon
With that said, just because we arent playing as well as we should right not, doesnt mean we still will be in Feb and even late Jan
There is absolutely an opportunity for us to improve over the next couple of weeks. The concern for some of us is how we manage that game to game.

There is absolutely an opportunity for us to improve over the next couple of weeks. The concern for some of us is how we manage that game to game.
If we could somehow snag a win tonight or Thru night, as hard and as unlikely as that may seem, it would be a game changer

Last edited:

If we could somehow snag a win tonight or Thru night, as hard and as unlikely as that may seem, it would be a game changer

Not snagging one could begin more ‘hot seat’ conversation, and that can get in the head of a player. The win against PSU looks even less exciting after they were toyed with by MSU.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spo...ecap-Tom-Izzo-Patrick-Chambers-127800320/Amp/

The stat that scared the crap out of me in that game was Sparty having a 41-28 rebound advantage, when PSU had a 46-32 advantage over us. We need to get tougher on the boards or it’s going to be a tough road to 11 conference wins.

Not snagging one could begin more ‘hot seat’ conversation, and that can get in the head of a player. The win against PSU looks even less exciting after they were toyed with by MSU.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spo...ecap-Tom-Izzo-Patrick-Chambers-127800320/Amp/

The stat that scared the crap out of me in that game was Sparty having a 41-28 rebound advantage, when PSU had a 46-32 advantage over us. We need to get tougher on the boards or it’s going to be a tough road to 11 conference wins.
Fact

I agree to an extent, but Im not sure why not winning tonight on the road in a game where we will not be favored against a top 25 team and then not winning at home against a top 10 team should be reason for over concern like that. Even if we were playing well, neither of these games would be expected to be an NU win. But we have to go on a winning streak after. We arent far off where we should be........maybe a game or MAYBE two. Its how we've looked on the court as of late thats the concern I guess

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back