• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Offensive Line

On the height issue, Benhart did seem to have a few struggles in the AA game, maybe it was due to him playing at only 280? I do think once you get to 6'8, 6'9, you are bordering on being too tall and the key is: Can they bend at the knees, not the waist. I was watching the Alabama Clemson game and Alabama's linemen just looked different than anything I've ever seen. It was like they had the perfect body types. I think we can get there, but it will be through development as they are obviously getting ready made players when they are high 4 star and 5 star players.

On the height issue, Benhart did seem to have a few struggles in the AA game, maybe it was due to him playing at only 280? I do think once you get to 6'8, 6'9, you are bordering on being too tall and the key is: Can they bend at the knees, not the waist. I was watching the Alabama Clemson game and Alabama's linemen just looked different than anything I've ever seen. It was like they had the perfect body types. I think we can get there, but it will be through development as they are obviously getting ready made players when they are high 4 star and 5 star players.
The guy is a championship level wrestler. You can not be that without knowing how to bend at the knees. According to literally every expert that watched the game. they saw it differently. Other than one or two situations. He did a pretty good job against the absolute best guys in the country. He literally was going against the best player in the country. So that is like saying the TX OL was terrible because they could not stop Suh.

I'm a South Dakota kid living in North Dakota now, so I've been inundated with NDSU football games on free TV for the past decade. The last couple of years, the Bison have had a kid named Tanner Volson playing center: 6'4" and 306 lbs. He is extremely athletic and they would constantly use him as a pulling center in their blocking schemes. During the playoffs against a 4-3 defensive line, the Bison went with a tight end beside the left tackle. The guards matched up with the two defensive tackles, the tight end blocked the defensive end, and they pulled the center and left tackle. I'm an admitted novice about blocking schemes, but long post short, I've come to the conclusion that athletic linemen who can all move/pull on any given play really poses a difficult read for defenses and can create perimeter mismatches that allows skill position speed to dominate in the running and screen passing game.

I'm a South Dakota kid living in North Dakota now, so I've been inundated with NDSU football games on free TV for the past decade. The last couple of years, the Bison have had a kid named Tanner Volson playing center: 6'4" and 306 lbs. He is extremely athletic and they would constantly use him as a pulling center in their blocking schemes. During the playoffs against a 4-3 defensive line, the Bison went with a tight end beside the left tackle. The guards matched up with the two defensive tackles, the tight end blocked the defensive end, and they pulled the center and left tackle. I'm an admitted novice about blocking schemes, but long post short, I've come to the conclusion that athletic linemen who can all move/pull on any given play really poses a difficult read for defenses and can create perimeter mismatches that allows skill position speed to dominate in the running and screen passing game.
Nice first post. Welcome!

Welcome! And a great post to kickoff with!

Great post but just curious. South Dakota wasn't cold enough? You had to move more north? JK welcome aboard.

The guy is a championship level wrestler. You can not be that without knowing how to bend at the knees. According to literally every expert that watched the game. they saw it differently. Other than one or two situations. He did a pretty good job against the absolute best guys in the country. He literally was going against the best player in the country. So that is like saying the TX OL was terrible because they could not stop Suh.

To clarify, I said he had a few struggles, not that he sucked. The statement I made was for tall players was that they needed to bend at the knees, not at the waist. I didn't specifically say Benhart and I acknowledged that he had to cut weight. And yes he did have a few struggles and I watched and listened and I am well aware of who he was going against. Must be a slow news day :)

Hence the reason why they are drafting ATHLETIC big men. That's why prospects like Oleseni, who they could have gone after was an afterthought as he didn't fit the mold they were looking for...despite the kid being a 6'8" road grader. They are being very specific in the types of guys they are looking for....in the same mold as Wisconsin (athletic dudes who played multiple sports).

Seems like the staff cooled on Danielson Ike too because of concerns about his weight. Looked like a prime candidate to be the next Jalin Barnett.

I never bother evaluating offensive Linemen. They all look slow and unathletic to me. If our 6'7" and 6' 9" offensive linemen were even halfway quick, agile and athletic, they'd be playing basketball, volleyball, baseball or tennis.

They say that *** used to play football. Does anybody know what position he played? For some reason, I get the feeling he was an offensive lineman.

they say Lebron's 2nd biggest decision besides heading to South Beach was whether to enter the NBA draft or take that tennis scholarship to Akron.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back