• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Dabo Swiney and Scott Frost

On #2, a question I have is why is Brent Venebles not a head coach right now? And after last night, his stock will hardly ever be higher...why would he not be bolting for the HC job of his choice?

If he doesn't take a head coaching gig in the next 12 months, then it's confirmed that he's one of those guys who is content to be a career DC in the vein of Bud Foster.

On #2, a question I have is why is Brent Venebles not a head coach right now? And after last night, his stock will hardly ever be higher...why would he not be bolting for the HC job of his choice?

He has answered that question, he has everything he wants and is compensated better than any other DC, maybe one is ahead of him, and many HC's.

https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/acc/clemson-university/article120879958.html
And, perhaps most important, he and his family, which includes wife, Julie, two sons and two daughters, like the Upstate and what it has to offer in the way of environment, schools and recreation.
“I’m a firm believer in fate. I’m not out there trying to shop myself around,” Venables said. “I just value what I have. I try to get a little better every day in what I do, so I love where I’m at. I feel very fortunate to be where I am and I’m very fortunate to coach the players that I have at Clemson.

“I don’t see many places that have more to offer than what Clemson does in regards to having success and fulfillment and a chance to win.”

https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/acc/clemson-university/article223102865.html
“I recognize how the culture is very different, and it’s unique in a lot of ways. ... And I’m just very, very, very thankful to be a part of it,” Venables said. “He’s relentless about demanding that we enjoy it and our players enjoy it and have a great experience. So I love that. And I was very attracted to that ... When you focus on just the winning and the championships and the end result, it can be fatalistic. And at the end of the day, the players feel that. And that’s not what collegiate athletics should be about.”

C

If he doesn't take a head coaching gig in the next 12 months, then it's confirmed that he's one of those guys who is content to be a career DC in the vein of Bud Foster.

From a link I just posted above.

“I’m a firm believer in fate. I’m not out there trying to shop myself around,” Venables said. “I just value what I have. I try to get a little better every day in what I do, so I love where I’m at. I feel very fortunate to be where I am and I’m very fortunate to coach the players that I have at Clemson.

“I don’t see many places that have more to offer than what Clemson does in regards to having success and fulfillment and a chance to win.”

So could Venables be the next Bud Foster, who just completed his 29th season as defensive coordinator at Virginia Tech?

“I have a lot of respect for him,” Venables said. “He doesn’t chase money or (job) titles and has chosen to stay the course.”

C

I believe Bo could have easily been that guy and still could be. Some people just don’t like dealing with administrators,the media, fans and boosters.They are strictly football and the kids.

I believe Bo could have easily been that guy and still could be. Some people just don’t like dealing with administrators,the media, fans and boosters.They are strictly football and the kids.

I think Bo probably should have been that guy, but he wanted to be a head coach asap. He was all-in for the Nebraska job back in '04 when Billy C. was hired and as I recall, he and Mary Pat were pretty salty that he didn't get the nod.

That's actually one of the reasons I wouldn't place any bets on Bo's next move. He seems like the personality type that isn't really into taking marching orders. He may just stand pat in Youngstown for as long as they'll have him.

I think Bo probably should have been that guy, but he wanted to be a head coach asap. He was all-in for the Nebraska job back in '04 when Billy C. was hired and as I recall, he and Mary Pat were pretty salty that he didn't get the nod.

That's actually one of the reasons I wouldn't place any bets on Bo's next move. He seems like the personality type that isn't really into taking marching orders. He may just stand pat in Youngstown for as long as they'll have him.
I agree. Bo should have realized that he doesn't like to deal with the administration, the media, and some critical fans. But these are the main jobs for a head coach. I worked with someone years ago that did some of the managerial work, but never tried to be a manager when a job opened up. When I asked why, the person replied, "You've been around here long enough to see what the company politics are like. I've been around here long enough to know I want no part of it." There are some people who need to figure this out before they make matters worse.

On the other side of things, some time ago I saw on this board that Craig Bohl made a better head coach than Defensive Coordinator. I still agree with that statement.

Long story short tho and I think what you are getting at, is that we should almost never lose a recruiting battle in Minnesota, Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska, etc. We are getting there.

Correct.

Nebraska playing at a B- or C level should theoretically win a higher percentage of local recruits than say, Alabama or Clemson at an A+ level. That's not because those teams are bad at recruiting, it's because there's too many players and too many schools to pick from. Obviously, the big schools recruit nationally, but there's still probably a 500+ mile radius that most teams work within. That's more a factor of some kids not wanting to move too far away to play big time football. If you're a 5* recruit from Jacksonville, why go play for USC or Washington, when you can get to UGA, Florida, FSU, Miami, Clemson, So.Carolina, Alabama or Auburn without too much hassle?

1 - it took Dabo 6 years not 10. They were at or near this level 4 years ago.
2 - The hiring of Bret Venebles and keeping him, is argueablely his greatest move.
3 - Otherwise, you've got a lot of good points made, although I think Dabo has some X & Os skills you are discounting
I completely agree. Last night was an example of defensive coaching genius. His players were prepared, and they executed. When they showed his reaction on the sideline, I saw the look of a coach who was anticipating a play out of a certain look in a specific situation, and elation as he watched his guys identify and execute. I wanted so badly for it to be a team that I could root for. Very well done.

Do you mean this? It was towards a Ref not coach

Does anyone remember what call he was upset about? Based on nothing other than a coach's hunch, nothing ticks me off more than when a ref misses a call that should have been made that results in a player's health being jeopardized: a late hit out of bounds, roughing the passer, etc.

Saban is definitely old school. In terms of coaching style, I'd bet his day-to-day is more like Bear Bryant than Dabo Swinney. Guys like Frost and Swinney do appear (at least from an outsider's perspective) to be a bit more "touchy feely" for lack of a better phrase, which probably plays well with today's youth.

Saban is the best recruiter since at least Barry Switzer. He isn't much of a game-day coach though (he's said so himself). His strategy is to hire the best possible assistants and let them do their jobs. To my knowledge, he's never made a "buddy hire" and seems to have little need to surround himself with familiar faces or loyal assistants. I'm sure there is position coach or two who's been around a while but when it comes to OC and DC, Saban doesn't mess around.

On this score, Swinney out-Sabaned Nick Saban. If there is a better college DC than Brent Venables, I can't think of who it would be. Put him on the other sideline, and it's a different ballgame last night. It's astonishing that Oklahoma demoted him for Mike flippin' Stoops. OU fans are still weeping.

Frost has a similar demeanor and rapport to Swinney with the kids, but he definitely falls into the category of coach who needs to have a loyal staff. TO (and obviously many others) proved that both approaches can work. That said, if Frost proves to be good but not great in the coming few years, fans are going to take aim at his staff faster than you can say Craig Bohl.
Spot on. I see parallels between Scott and Dabo. NU will be no quick turnaround. If things go right we’ll be “in the conversation,” year 3, but for the Skerz to seriously compete for a NC, get into the playoffs consistently, that’s probably 5-7 years off it happens. Venables is a GREAT DC.

Last night, early in 3Q I looked over at my wife and said I think all the staff turnover is catching up with Saban.

I agree. Bo should have realized that he doesn't like to deal with the administration, the media, and some critical fans. But these are the main jobs for a head coach. I worked with someone years ago that did some of the managerial work, but never tried to be a manager when a job opened up. When I asked why, the person replied, "You've been around here long enough to see what the company politics are like. I've been around here long enough to know I want no part of it." There are some people who need to figure this out before they make matters worse.

On the other side of things, some time ago I saw on this board that Craig Bohl made a better head coach than Defensive Coordinator. I still agree with that statement.

The best coordinators in football are obsessed with the X's and O's and carry as little ego as possible outside of taking pride in their own effort and attention to detail. A head coach has to deal with so much administrative and political b.s. that it's realistically the most important part of the job. I've been both, and I've had the pleasure of being a minor assistant on a high school staff that was stocked, top to bottom, with great former head coaches with incredible records who just wanted to do their thing. In that particular scenario, the head coach was possibly the worst of the lot at the X's and O's, but he was unflappable, positive, and genuine, and he held it all together. The OC was a genius, and he could gameplan anything. The DC kept things simple and woke up in the morning looking forward to seeing some collisions in tackling drills.

I absolutely agree that Bo should have remained a DC. When you find those types of coaches, you hire them and give them the autonomy to do whatever they want, and you try to keep them happy. It seems like a good DC is more likely to be willing to stay in that position, but it's rare to meet a top-flight OC who doesn't want to run the whole thing and still call plays. As an assistant I often couldn't wait to get my opportunity as a HC, but as a HC I often think about how nice it was to be an assistant under a great HC.

As for Saban, I think that posters here are selling him short. A man doesn't spend as much time at his level with this much success without valuing people. His assistants are incredibly loyal. Try to imagine another coach that Lane Kiffen, Kirby Smart, Mark D'Antonio, and company would all work for, admire, and have nothing negative to say about. There hasn't been another like him. Bobby Bowden used to say that the best head coaches are smart enough to recognize when another coach is better, and humble enough to hire them and give them space to succeed. Saban does that, and nobody has been better at it. Swinney might be in the same league, but he needs to stick around longer to prove it.

At the risk of stirring up a hornets' nest, I have to mention that Swinney is a deep and sincere man of faith, as is Scott Frost, Bobby Bowden, Tom Osborne, and an unbelievable other number of other wildly successful head coaches. This is a perspective that places premium value on relationships, hard work, striving for perfection, and forgiveness. Especially at the college and lower levels, this is what's often the foundation that everything else is built on. If you haven't heard him before, here's just an off-the-cuff example of Dabo talking about his faith:

Last edited:

Not sure that Alabama just "forgot how to love" last night. Their 127 wins over the last 10 years tells me they have LOTS of love to go around. I would say the demeanor was more of a shock to their system, and that they just got beat by a better football team last night. Clemson won because they executed their gameplan better, and won the turnover battle 4-0. End of story really.

Agree ... Bama got punched in the mouth last night and it rocked their psyche - they did not respond. At all.

Bama will be back in a very strong way next season, but for one fun night in California they had no answers for a motivated, well-prepared and physically capable football team. Their HC certainly has a lot to do with that, but give the players their deserved due.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back