• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Dabo Swiney and Scott Frost

Bluffsker

Recruit
2 Year Member
Dabo's post game interview has confirmed what all the print media led me to believe. Dabo Swinney is Scott Frost with a 10 year headstart. Dabo was a Homegrown Alabama product known for toughness. Though he doesnt have the coaching pedigree, NFL experience, or offensive genius, he has the intangibles that Frost has. His love for his players, ability to build relationships, and ability recruit to his system is tremendous. We hear Frost talk about Unity of Purpose. Last night I heard Dabo speak about a Singleness of Purpose, his Faith, and the love the players on the team have for each other. We saw what love can do for a team i.e UCF. Bama clearly lacked the togetherness, love, and relationships last night. I understand it was a difficult situation for them, but everyone on their sideline was isolated and distant , especially the coach.

I believe Dabo got Clemson to this point because of his ability to build relationships and foster culture. It took him 10 years because he is not the X's and O's genius like Frost. Frost will not need 10 years to compete on a National level because he has both the X and O's and the relationship parts.

BTW Clemson is not an easy place to recruit to. Clemson is isolated from major Metro areas, Greenville, SC is close (20 miles) and the local T.V. market is fairly large around 2 million in the SC Upstate but its no metropolis. Its a spread out not population dense, hilly area with little to do for college students. Yes Clemson is located in the south and close to recruits but Clemson is isolated from cities and doesnt offer much for students to do, Clemson population is only 17,000. And this is not like a suburb of Greenville, like Papillion is to Omaha, Clemson is seriously isolated. Dabo started winning with 2 and 3 stars. He didnt start getting 4 and 5 stars until he made his first Playoff appearance.

Frost will have the same success as Dabo, just sooner.

I hope you're right.

As for recruiting? Eh. Clemson has always recruited well. Their "isolation" notwithstanding they are within 500 miles of more talent than they could ever accommodate. And they are a two hour drive from an international airport so getting there is easier (i.e. more flights with no connections) than Lincoln will ever be.

The hope of Nebraska ever building something like what Clemson has going on right now is virtually nil, IMO. That's not to say that when NU has the right mix of talent and experience they won't reach the playoffs on occasion. But to be able to pencil them in every year...gonna be tough. That said, looking forward to the ride.

Dabo's post game interview has confirmed what all the print media led me to believe. Dabo Swinney is Scott Frost with a 10 year headstart. Dabo was a Homegrown Alabama product known for toughness. Though he doesnt have the coaching pedigree, NFL experience, or offensive genius, he has the intangibles that Frost has. His love for his players, ability to build relationships, and ability recruit to his system is tremendous. We hear Frost talk about Unity of Purpose. Last night I heard Dabo speak about a Singleness of Purpose, his Faith, and the love the players on the team have for each other. We saw what love can do for a team i.e UCF. Bama clearly lacked the togetherness, love, and relationships last night. I understand it was a difficult situation for them, but everyone on their sideline was isolated and distant , especially the coach.

I believe Dabo got Clemson to this point because of his ability to build relationships and foster culture. It took him 10 years because he is not the X's and O's genius like Frost. Frost will not need 10 years to compete on a National level because he has both the X and O's and the relationship parts.

BTW Clemson is not an easy place to recruit to. Clemson is isolated from major Metro areas, Greenville, SC is close (20 miles) and the local T.V. market is fairly large around 2 million in the SC Upstate but its no metropolis. Its a spread out not population dense, hilly area with little to do for college students. Yes Clemson is located in the south and close to recruits but Clemson is isolated from cities and doesnt offer much for students to do, Clemson population is only 17,000. And this is not like a suburb of Greenville, like Papillion is to Omaha, Clemson is seriously isolated. Dabo started winning with 2 and 3 stars. He didnt start getting 4 and 5 stars until he made his first Playoff appearance.

I am going to take a bit of umbrage with your paragraph beginning BTW. I was stationed at FT Gordon GA in like 84/85 for three months. Half the people in Northern GA are Clemson fans. Remember GA is the 4th largest recruiting state in the country. When driving around NoGA I saw paws on every other car. So there are a lot of kids in GA who grow up dreaming of playing in Death Valley. Add to that the kids in SC also want to go there. So they have NO issue recruiting.

If it’s not easy to recruit to Clemson that is in South Carolina and borders Georgia, then Nebraska is screwed.

Although by the same token, Clemson is regionally competing with Alabama, Georgia Auburn, Florida and FSU within a relatively short distance.

Our regional window includes Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Missouri and Oklahoma.

I know that's a drastically oversimplified view of recruiting but my point is that Clemson has a bunch of really successful neighbors to lure kids away. Our neighbors - with the exception of Oklahoma and recently, Wisconsin - do not have the same recruiting draw. When Frost gets the ship righted, we should be the pre-eminent Great Plains football destination, or at least toe-to-toe with OU for those regional recruits.

Last edited:

Although by the same token, Clemson is regionally competing with Alabama, Georgia Auburn, Florida and FSU within a relatively short distance.

Our regional window includes Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Missouri and Oklahoma.

I know that's a drastically oversimplified view of recruiting but my point is that Clemson has a bunch of really successful neighbors to lure kids away. Our neighbors - with the exception of Oklahoma and recently, Wisconsin - do not have the same recruiting draw. When Frost gets the ship righted, we should be the pre-eminent Great Plains football destination, or at least toe-to-toe with OU for those regional recruits.
While true, the midwest has less football players combined than Georgia. I get they have more people pulling against them, but they have so many people in a driving distance it doesn't matter.

The way it was described to me from someone on staff was this...

"Well, for me to hit our D1 recruits for the 2019 class in-state, there's an 8 hour drive to hit 4 of them, one every couple hours on average but you know that's not the case from Scottsbluff to York." How many would Dabo Swinney, Kirby Smart, etc., pass in an 8 hour drive in their home state?

Long story short tho and I think what you are getting at, is that we should almost never lose a recruiting battle in Minnesota, Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska, etc. We are getting there.

Not sure that Alabama just "forgot how to love" last night. Their 127 wins over the last 10 years tells me they have LOTS of love to go around. I would say the demeanor was more of a shock to their system, and that they just got beat by a better football team last night. Clemson won because they executed their gameplan better, and won the turnover battle 4-0. End of story really.

Not sure that Alabama just "forgot how to love" last night. Their 127 wins over the last 10 years tells me they have LOTS of love to go around. I would say the demeanor was more of a shock to their system, and that they just got beat by a better football team last night. Clemson won because they executed their gameplan better, and won the turnover battle 4-0. End of story really.
Just playing devil's advocate here, but maybe Clemson executed their game plan better because they were playing for team first and not individuals. Scott Frost talked about the fact that sometimes players "go rogue" when things go wrong or the pressure is on. Players will try to do too much instead of trusting their teammates, their training and the system. That often times leads to busted coverages, which we saw a lot of, and turnovers. So I think the OP has a point.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back