• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Who Are we Still Targeting

Does Gary Anderson quitting Wisky to coach at Oregon St count? Pretty close to a G5 school there at OreSt.

He left Oregon State mid-season and is now back at Utah State. He didn't go directly from P5 to G5 but he did voluntarily relinquish a P5 position. That the only other comparison I can think of. Hologorsen's move doesn't say much for WVA. I wonder if it will affect their candidate pool.

CFEC0A3B-F3E1-450F-BC3A-42FE1620004B.jpeg
I thought targeting was bad.
It certainly can be!

NU Alum, I would not diminish the place of an O line in the run game. However, there are some times when a powerful back will pick up short yardage when the fast, smaller guy just doesn't have the horsepower.

He left Oregon State mid-season and is now back at Utah State. He didn't go directly from P5 to G5 but he did voluntarily relinquish a P5 position. That the only other comparison I can think of. Hologorsen's move doesn't say much for WVA. I wonder if it will affect their candidate pool.
It is West "By Gawd" Virginia, for crimney sakes! A law was enacted, within the last 3 years, making it illegal to burn couches after a win! That says volumes about the school and the people/area. I have been there on work assignments and I actually think WVA, or Southern Ohio, are the ones they should be making toothbrush and marrying your cousin jokes about and NOT Kentucky (where I have also had work assignments). No offense, JMO.

Has a P5 coach ever left for a G5 school? Weird. “Here’s less money and less prestige, but as Major Applewhite will tell you, just as much pressure”.
Horgorson going to Houston might workout for him. New stadium, hot recruiting area, and if the playoffs go to 8 teams, he might have the best team in the group.
Does Gary Anderson quitting Wisky to coach at Oregon St count? Pretty close to a G5 school there at OreSt.
It is West "By Gawd" Virginia, for crimney sakes! A law was enacted, within the last 3 years, making it illegal to burn couches after a win! That says volumes about the school and the people/area. I have been there on work assignments and I actually think WVA, or Southern Ohio, are the ones they should be making toothbrush and marrying your cousin jokes about and NOT Kentucky (where I have also had work assignments). No offense, JMO.

Holgerson grew up in Iowa and went to Iowa Wesleyan while Mumme and Leach were developing the first look of the Air Raid offense, but he's spent almost all of his life since then in the Texas/Oklahoma area, including a stint as the Houston OC before Gundy made him the OC at Oklahoma State. His time in West Virginia is really the anomaly. The Houston area is loaded with talent, and he recruits well; meanwhile, he had told anyone who would listen for the past couple years that his 2018 WV team would be his best: what if he meant it? What if that was their ceiling? Houston doesn't have that type of ceiling. Even if Applewhite struggled there, he is still going to find a soft landing elsewhere. Other recent coaches there--Kevin Sumlin and Tom Herman--have been able to parlay success at Houston into elite positions at Texas A&M and Texas. Art Briles parlayed success at Houston into a head coaching position at Baylor, but I'm not sure that that was much more than a horizontal move, and it wouldn't have been that except that Baylor was/is Big 12. If Holgerson struggles, he'll still be a hot commodity as an OC, especially in the NFL right now--I'm a little curious if he ruled that out because he seems like what they're looking for at the moment. If he's successful at Houston, which basically means knocking off some big dogs that are considered upsets--Herman's record was actually worse than Applewhite's, but Applewhite didn't win any big games--the sky is the limit as far as elite schools being interested. That can mean other Texas schools--if either Herman at Texas or Fisher at A&M don't pan out--or it could mean elite programs outside the region as almost any elite school outside of Texas would love to hire a top-notch offensive mind with in-roads into recruiting Houston and East Texas.

Here's a SBNation article that lists some reasons for the change:
https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...a-holgorsen-hired-houston-coach-west-virginia

Last edited:

No disagreement. It's just unusual to take a step down though. As MABC talked about, it might be his best path to something better. It's actually a pretty big black eye for the Big 12. I wonder if there will eventually be buyers remorse in the Big 12 for taking on WVA.

Last edited:
No disagreement. It's just unusual to take a step down though. As MABC talked about, it might be his best path to something better. It's actually a pretty big black eye for the Big 12. I wonder if there will eventually be buyers remorse in the Big 12 for taking on WVA.

Anyone with a sense of pride has WVU buyers remorse. I blame Texas. No idea if that is right, but I’m gonna blame Texas even if you explain it to me otherwise with reason. :)

Anyone with a sense of pride has WVU buyers remorse. I blame Texas. No idea if that is right, but I’m gonna blame Texas even if you explain it to me otherwise with reason. :)
I'm quite sure it's all Texas' fault.

Southern Ohio, N. Kentucky, and S. Indiana are one in the same. They are all a bunch of red neck/hillbillies. Ever listen to Bob and Tom in the morning? They have a character named Donnie Baker that calls into the show. It is funny because that is exactly the way most of the workers at our Richmond, In shop talk.

On the subject of P5 coaches leaving for G5 jobs, Tommie Tuberville went from Texas Tech to Cincinnati a few years back.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back