• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MBB Game #14, (L, 74-72), Wed, 1/2 @ Maryland (#31) (10-3) (1-1), 5:30pm CT, BTN

Wish on Maryland's final possession that Nebraska would have played man. Man to man was tougher down the stretch. Of course, this game never should have been a possession game.

A 1-3-1 is a tough defense to get easy looks in, so I’m not bothered by that. Allen was slow to trap, but Palmer was there and had a hand up on the guy outside. Smith hit a tough runner for the win. I have a bigger issue with Palmer being such a focal point when he just isn’t a consistent enough shooter. We shoot over 53% from the field, and 50% from 3pt if you take out Palmer’s 36% and 33%.

If I’m putting together a team, he’s my #2, maybe even #3 option. If he’s hot, I’d feed him, but he wouldn’t have a 40 minute green light like he does. Don’t misunderstand, I think he’s got some skills. The guy is solid on the boards, always gets steals because he’s a good defender, blocks a few shots, and as I’ve mentioned, has some passing skills. The problem with him is he thinks he’s a good shooter, and he just isn’t. He can get hot, but just watch him shoot...there are times he has all the fluid motion of a folding chair.

Roby played hard against the bigger matchup, and that got him a little more aggressive on offense. I do wish he’d stop trying to make that same baseline drive against good defenses. Copeland didn’t look like he was enjoying playing against that size. The bummer about that is I think he could have done well if he would have used his midrange jumper to pull them away from the rim.

A tough loss, but not completely unexpected. Rally next game, and get a W.

Last edited:

A 1-3-1 is a tough defense to get easy looks in, so I’m not bothered by that. Allen was slow to trap, but Palmer was there and had a hand up on the guy outside. Smith hit a tough runner for the win. I have a bigger issue with Palmer being such a focal point when he just isn’t a consistent enough shooter. We shoot over 53% from the field, and 50% from 3pt if you take out Palmer’s 36% and 33%.

If I’m putting together a team, he’s my #2, maybe even #3 option. If he’s hot, I’d feed him, but he wouldn’t have a 40 minute green light like he does. Don’t misunderstand, I think he’s got some skills. The guy is solid on the boards, always gets steals because he’s a good defender, blocks a few shots, and as I’ve mentioned, has some passing skills. The problem with him is he thinks he’s a good shooter, and he just isn’t. He can get hot, but just watch him shoot...there are times he has all the fluid motion of a folding chair.

Roby played hard against the bigger matchup, and that got him a little more aggressive on offense. I do wish he’d stop trying to make that same baseline drive against good defenses. Copeland didn’t look like he was enjoying playing against that size. The bummer about that is I think he could have done well if he would have used his midrange jumper to pull them away from the rim.

A tough loss, but not completely unexpected. Rally next game, and get a W.
The 1-3-1 can be that, but I just really liked the man-to-man that they were playing in the final minutes.

Agree about Palmer completely.

Yep, good play and good defense.

I watched that play again, and I’m not sure I understand the chess pieces, but the play looked solid. Allen got away with a travel to start off, and then seemed to just dribble right into a double team trap just past half court, and had to pass over Fernando. Palmer was on the wing/baseline, but Allen didn’t even try to sell anyone he was the option. He stared down the action in the middle of the court, so much so, Palmer’s guy started cheating the lane.

Even if we run it perfectly, they were playing good defense on it, but we do need a little better execution.

The 1-3-1 can be that, but I just really liked the man-to-man that they were playing in the final minutes.

Agree about Palmer completely.

I would have been fine with Man as well, but I do think they would have still used Fernando or Smith to shove it down our throats.

Last edited:
This is somewhat dated information since I'm not a KenPom subscriber, but KenPom has this pretty much a toss-up, predicting MD wins 71-70, but with only 52% (48% that we win) certainty.

KenPom spot on...

NU let that one get away, just like Minnesota. Those kinds of losses Gonna cost them a place in the big dance.

I think Minnesota was much worrse, we had them put away and our coach refused to use timeouts to slow their momentum down.

I’m 100% behind how Miles chose to defend Bruno. He got his but we didn’t double him up for most the night. It was a sound defensive concept. What went wrong is that we didn’t close out on shooters and they hit 50%. Can’t single up in Bruno and let them get that many open looks.

Nebraska just lost a game that the experts deamed a toss up by 2 points on the road.

It is disappointing not unexpected. Maryland is a good team. Shoot their average on freethrows and they win the game.

Nebraska’s big problem is they still don’t have a big man that can get 10 and 10 every night like most big 10 teams.

geez. rebounding and missed freethrows cost them the game. If NU boxes out and gets the rebound on that missed 3, they win. instead, a putback for MD.

we're not gonna win them all, i just would prefer to lose a game that didn't look and feel so much like an NU win, until it wasn't. very similiar to the MN loss.

If NU has this much trouble with every team that has a big man with a decent pulse, its gonna go straight down the tubes for dear ol' NU. cause its only gonna get worse as the teams get beefier. i don't care how high Roby can jump, if he doesn't learn how to box out, it aint gonna matter. it didn't tonight.

Not an embarrassing loss but a game that we just should have won.

Nebraska lacks a killer instinct.

When things are going bad, I think the Huskers need to look for Copeland more often. That jumper from the elbow from him would be a great drought killer instead of having Palmer 'create' or whatever that is he does.

Nebraska just lost a game that the experts deamed a toss up by 2 points on the road.

It is disappointing not unexpected. Maryland is a good team. Shoot their average on freethrows and they win the game.

Nebraska’s big problem is they still don’t have a big man that can get 10 and 10 every night like most big 10 teams.
A lost game is a lost game.

It's amazing the lack of perspective. We are now in big 10 play. Like most teams of our talent, we are going to lose more games on the road than win. Since there's a huge conglomerate of similar talent in the big 10, most games will come down to the wire. We are simply going to lose some of these ones and win some. If beat Iowa sunday on the road and Penn St next week at home, we are right where I would expect us to be..which is we weren't going to win two games in a row against top 30 teams on road. So chill out. We played well and we will win our share of games like this going forward! That's big 10 basketball.
GBR

Absolutely agree. This team has too much skill and experience to keep losing games like this. Worse than that, they don't always play with great effort or enthusiasm. It's a reflection of how they're being coached IMO.......
Keep losing like this? Weve played 14 games it's happened twice. We lost by two on the road to a team that was favored by 2.5 and we played well. Long season. Chill out

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back