• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Offensive Line

Paramus, Sir, the point of the board should be to contribute in a positive and effect way. It isn't a place for pettiness and self aggrandizement. The repeated personal affronts just get incredibly old.
I guess free speech only applies if you are in agreement with everyone else!

Really at this point I could care less if @ShortSideOption only competed at peewee for his highest level of competition. Obviously the breakdown thread that everyone enjoys about player responsibilities and assignments has shown he is a student of the game and brings a knowledge level about football that is beyond the causal fan. Some people seem to be worked up and are concerned that he doesn’t have a big enough jock to figure out the game. See signature file Cuban quote on why I encourage many to keep posting. (Unless they have that right administratively revoked.)
I quite literally repeated what someone involved in our OL recruiting said they look for and what some of the challenges are. All of a sudden it started being argued what my qualifications are/were. I very well could be a Wal-Mart greeter who posts on my lunch break, people can choose for themselves if my stuff is accurate and worth reading.

For the record, I really can’t judge OL talent on film at all. Thus why I asked this person.

I quite literally repeated what someone involved in our OL recruiting said they look for and what some of the challenges are. All of a sudden it started being argued what my qualifications are/were. I very well could be a Wal-Mart greeter who posts on my lunch break, people can choose for themselves if my stuff is accurate and worth reading.

For the record, I really can’t judge OL talent on film at all. Thus why I asked this person.

Maybe you should just tell BPG to suck it up and start posting again

I can think of two real tall o linemen. Greg Ching back in the late 80’s or 90’s he was a bust and Zach Sterup who did pretty well. A pass rusher can get underneath a taller guy if they don’t bend their knees

I think Greg Ching was a miss as far as evaluation. I remember all of the buzz about him when he was being recruited by Nebraska, and I watched him on TV play in a state football championship game and in a state basketball tournament. For all of the buzz, he seemed underwhelming in both. He looked like he had a great frame and a natural athleticism, but he lacked the drive and attitude. He also looked soft, like he didn't know where the weight room was. A couple years back I watched the state championship football game again, and he looked lost and pouty as he was being man-handled by some very good, very large linemen from the other team. Thinking about it, and how he never panned out, I think that he had all of the measurables, and they just missed with evaluating the mental side of things.

Also, fwiw, he was originally recruited to play defense. I'm not sure where he ended up being moved around as far as position, but I think that it was probably just an attempt to salvage the value of his scholarship.

I guess free speech only applies if you are in agreement with everyone else!
Free speech doesn't mean freedom of consequence. You can express yourself, but the manner in which you do it is the most important aspect. You can disagree but handle things in a civil and professional manner. Failure to do so is grounds for punishment, not for the differing opinion but for the lack of courtesy and professionalism he presented his argument (the post in question wasn't even in argument, it was completely off topic and uncalled for. He was clearly attacking *** unprovoked and thus is getting a timeout, which could be for much longer based off of his previous repeat offenses.

Free speech doesn't mean freedom of consequence. You can express yourself, but the manner in which you do it is the most important aspect. You can disagree but handle things in a civil and professional manner. Failure to do so is grounds for punishment, not for the differing opinion but for the lack of courtesy and professionalism he presented his argument (the post in question wasn't even in argument, it was completely off topic and uncalled for. He was clearly attacking *** unprovoked and thus is getting a timeout, which could be for much longer based off of his previous repeat offenses.
I see the same stuff go on in about every extended thread. And I don't like none of it. But is this instance different than the others? I have mentioned many times before I hate the personal attacks

I see the same stuff go on in about every extended thread. And I don't like none of it. But is this instance different than the others? I have mentioned many times before I hate the personal attacks
Usually in other threads it is a debate between two people that before the personal attacks are thrown in. The offending user was in no such debate with the person he attacked and has been a repeat offender/repeatedly warned but I see where you're going. It can be a slippery slope but in this instance I feel it was justified and it has nothing to do with the user and his opinion.

One thing to go along with that size though is Benhart has some NASTINESS to his game. I'm pretty excited to see how his career ends up but his upside is HUGE and with some of the hype surrounding him possibly being good enough to slot Farniok down to his natural guard position I feel like that opens up a ton of options while stabilizing our pass protection on the right side. Farniok is a beast run blocker but he was caught out of position several times in pass pro and it showed. If Benhart is able to play early that means we roll into next year with the possibility of returning all 5 starters for 2020 as well which will give time for our depth to fill out and develop.

Offensive linemen are big and strong. But they are not quick and athletic. When you measure them against all of the football players on the team (and against all other male athletes in all others sports at UNL), their 10-yard and 40-yard dash times would be the slowest of all. They aren't going to out run the tennis players, the soccer players, or the baseball players. But they might have a chance against some of the golfers.

Bottom line: I do not bother evaluating offensive lineman. However, I am quite certain the *** does it.. He evaluates everybody. He is the quantity evaluation guy in the his board. I am just the quality guy.

I do quality evaluations of the best athletes on our roster. I don't bother with offensive linemen. IMO, when you have seen one big, slow, strong offensive lineman. you've seen them all. However, offensive lineman are certainly valuable. They are required. But I'd rather evaluate O-lineman as a unit, not as individuals.

The big strong guys who are quick and athletic are on the defensive line. I might take a turn at evaluating them, but I mostly stick to the skill players.

When the pundits talk about skill players, why don't they talk about offensive linemen? I think the answer is rather obvious.

So, is *** a former offensive lineman? Does anybody know?

When Adam Carricker was a HuskerMaxer, everybody knew what position he played and when he played. However, ***'s playing career seems to be a hidden mystery. Does anybody know anything about it?

Apparently you are serious and not attempting to provide comic relief, but your desperate attempt to defend your definition of who is athletic and and who is not is rather comical.

What would be really funny is if I stand on a 1-man Blocking sled in the Nebraska August heat & humidity and have you break out of a 3-point stance and push that sled with me on it about 10 yards on the field and repeat that for about 15-20 minutes for 30 days and then listen to me tell you after 30 days that you are not athletic.

Now that would be funny !!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back