• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Offensive Line

There’s a lot to be excited about in this recruiting class but nothing more exciting than the size of these 5 offensive line recruits...
6’’7 280
6’7. 280
6’7 250
6’7. 255
6’9. 301

WOW
I had an interesting convo the other day with some people on staff. We were talking about wrestling being good for helping develop linemen. One coach goes “ya, but when you don’t recruit an offensive linemen under 6’7 in this class, it’s really tough to find a good wrestler.” Obviously that’s why guys like Benhart who is 6’9 and a successful wrestler is the highest of priorities. It’s why Hutmacher is a massive priority in 2020.

The reason we are going after taller linemen is two-fold. The first may not do much for you because it’s pretty obvious, but it’s easier to have weight put on with a frame like that. Frost won’t be able to say “their linemen are bigger than us”, if he can, that’s our own fault.

The second will make more sense and maybe calm concerns @Huskerthom. In Frosts offense, we don’t have to be perfect on the OL (much like I’ve said with Becks). We many time just need to “wall someone off.” Well, the bigger the frame, length, etc., the easier that is. We also pull literally everyone on the OL, so we need long athletic guys to do that rather than short squatty guys (like four star Barnett). To go along with the pulling, we run a ton of outside zone. The longer you are, the easier those blocks and pulls are, as you are going lateral, not vertical. I bolded that because it’s the most important piece.

Now, the concern is still valid for third and fourth and short, it will be tougher to get low. But for 95% of our offense, this is what we need. And on those downs, having it so defenses can’t just sub in a ton of beef to stop us since we may not be lowering our head and going, that could work too.

By the way, I was also informed Hutmacher is wrestling Benhart after Christmas I believe, so anyone up there if you can go to it with your Husker Red on, that would be outstanding.

Last edited:

People are getting bigger. We need to do so too. I feel I would be unhappy if I saw these were the sizes of the OL recruits for Iowa or Purdue and we had brought in 6 2 or 6 3 guys. I like ***'s logic, but even without that analysis, my viscerae say bigger is better if the bigger on the OL are athletic and not a bunch of staitionary stautues or Mr. Universe muscle men.

I had an interesting convo the other day with some people on staff. We were talking about wrestling being good for helping develop linemen. One coach goes “ya, but when you don’t recruit an offensive linemen under 6’7 in this class, it’s really tough to find a good wrestler.” Obviously that’s why guys like Benhart who is 6’9 and a successful wrestler is the highest of priorities. It’s why Hutmacher is a massive priority in 2020.

The reason we are going after taller linemen is two-fold. The first may not do much for you because it’s pretty obvious, but it’s easier to have weight put on with a frame like that. Frost won’t be able to say “their linemen are bigger than us”, if he can, that’s our own fault.

The second will make more sense and maybe calm concerns @Huskerthom. In Frosts offense, we don’t have to be perfect on the OL (much like I’ve said with Becks). We many time just need to “wall someone off.” Well, the bigger the frame, length, etc., the easier that is. We also pull literally everyone on the OL, so we need long athletic guys to do that rather than short squatty guys (like four star Barnett). To go along with the pulling, we run a ton of outside zone. The longer you are, the easier those blocks and pills are, as you are going lateral, not vertical. I bolded that because it’s the most important piece.

Now, the concern is still valid for third and fourth and short, it will be tougher to get low. But for 95% of our offense, this is what we need. And on those downs, having it so defenses can’t just sub in a ton of beef to stop us since we may not be lowering our head and going, that could work too.

By the way, I was also informed Hutmacher is wrestling Benhart after Christmas I believe, so anyone up there if you can go to it with your Husker Red on, that would be outstanding.
Too much emphasis on the pancake ..it looks great on film however it’s easy to see that Frost’s running backs only need a crease .A wall off block with speed and quickness in changing direction by the running back trumps the power game.

The second will make more sense and maybe calm concerns @Huskerthom. In Frosts offense, we don’t have to be perfect on the OL (much like I’ve said with Becks). We many time just need to “wall someone off.” Well, the bigger the frame, length, etc., the easier that is. We also pull literally everyone on the OL, so we need long athletic guys to do that rather than short squatty guys (like four star Barnett). To go along with the pulling, we run a ton of outside zone. The longer you are, the easier those blocks and pills are, as you are going lateral, not vertical. I bolded that because it’s the most important piece.

Someone needs to film the match and post it on Huskermax so all of the "football/wrestling experts" can dissect the match and forecast their potential as Husker football players!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Someone needs to film the match and post it on Huskermax so all of the "football/wrestling experts" can dissect the match and forecast their potential as Husker football players!! :thumbsup:
Paramus is licking his chops

Thanks for the explanation with the call out. One clarification. In the highlighted you meant spills not pills correct? If not what is a Pill?

Thanks for the explanation with the call out. One clarification. In the highlighted you meant spills not pills correct? If not what is a Pill?
Ugh... I meant pulls. iPhone sabotaging me today.

FYI you have a valid concern about getting low enough to push the LOS. We just have some ways to combat it that might not be traditional.

Last edited:
Ugh... I meant pulls. iPhone sabotaging me today.

FYI you have a valid concern about getting low enough to push the LOS. We just have some ways to combat it that might not be traditional.
Again I appreciate the heads up. Not all that familiar with the new offense so always good to get an informed opinion.

Paramus is licking his chops

I never bother evaluating offensive Linemen. They all look slow and unathletic to me. If our 6'7" and 6' 9" offensive linemen were even halfway quick, agile and athletic, they'd be playing basketball, volleyball, baseball or tennis.

They say that *** used to play football. Does anybody know what position he played? For some reason, I get the feeling he was an offensive lineman.

Last edited:
I never bother evaluating offensive Linemen. They all look slow and unathletic to me. If our 6'7" and 6' 9" offensive linemen were athletic, they'd be playing basketball, volleyball, baseball or tennis.

They say that *** used to play football. Does anybody know what position he played? For some reason, I get the feeling he was an offensive lineman.

That's not a very informed post

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back