• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2019 Current List of Walk-Ons

Good article on Georgia walk-on Sam Shurtleff...

Family ties run deeper to Nebraska, though. His cousin, Steve Raymond, played for the Huskers in the 90s, and Shurtleff knew his heart was in Lincoln even as his recruiting picked up at other schools.

Raymond came out of Gering and had played with Matt Davison, Nebraska's associate athletic director for football. The cousin put in a word for Shurtleff. The Huskers checked into Shurtleff and saw enough they liked to offer him about two weeks before early signing day.

It was a Thursday or Friday when the big moment came. Shurtleff was sitting in his last class of the day trying to study for a Spanish III final. A text popped up. It was from Kenny Wilhite, director of high school relations. It was the offer to walk on.

"It rocked me because that had been a childhood dream ever since I could remember," Shurtleff said. "I didn't have words to say. I went to my coach right away, and he was just as excited for me. Because everybody that knows me knows that that's all I've ever wanted."

He said the Huskers plan to start him out as an outside linebacker when he arrives in the summer.

"Obviously I'm not like a big four-star or five-star recruit or anything, but I would say I'm long and fast, and one of my best attributes is that I'm a student of the game," Shurtleff said.

Besides, he likes the way Scott Frost talks about building a walk-on program he's now a part of. And he knows the success stories, including a recent one from a wide receiver.

"Kade Warner, that's a great story there."

Article link

Twenty three recruits and thirteen walk ons and this class isn’t finished. Thirty three new faces looking to find a place on the two or three deep. Competition is going to be fierce and possibly a third of them will be on campus in January. Frost and company are earning their salary and more importantly they’re loving every minute . It’s not work it’s passion...Go Big Red!

Twenty three recruits and thirteen walk ons and this class isn’t finished. Thirty three new faces looking to find a place on the two or three deep. Competition is going to be fierce and possibly a third of them will be on campus in January. Frost and company are earning their salary and more importantly they’re loving every minute . It’s not work it’s passion...Go Big Red!
23+13=33 Must be new math. :p

Passion makes less work of any job. We should all be so lucky.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back