• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Zach Wiegert

Bean

Grey Shirt
10 Year Member
I was reading the interview with Larry Townsend and this picture was part of it. Look how big Zach is in this picture! [94 Outland trophy winner] 6-5, 300 lbs.

LT: Well, gosh, all the offensive linemen during those times were really, really, really good athletes and good players. All of them were really strong. Brenden Stai, he was really strong and really good. Zach Wiegert, gosh, he was not as strong with the weights, but on the field just a tremendous athlete. But like Brenden, he was just really, really strong, really fast and really good. Brenden was just probably one of the better guys I ever played against.
LT-Zw-Omaha-1024x796.jpg

That's probably Damon Benning Derek Brown running behind him.

Last edited:
Not doubting Townsend's quote but they wore huge shoulder pads in those days. Makes them look bigger.

Results are all that matter and those guys where the pipeline that brought us National Championships. Those guys were studs period.
I believe that Stai bench pressed 225 lbs, 37 times at the 95 NFL combine, which was far better than the second place guy and I believe was a record at that time. By comparison, I believe Nick Gates benched 225 lbs a total 20 reps in 2016.

Last edited:

I was reading the interview with Larry Townsend and this picture was part of it. Look how big Zach is in this picture! [94 Outland trophy winner] 6-5, 300 lbs.

LT: Well, gosh, all the offensive linemen during those times were really, really, really good athletes and good players. All of them were really strong. Brenden Stai, he was really strong and really good. Zach Wiegert, gosh, he was not as strong with the weights, but on the field just a tremendous athlete. But like Brenden, he was just really, really strong, really fast and really good. Brenden was just probably one of the better guys I ever played against.
LT-Zw-Omaha-1024x796.jpg

That's probably Damon Benning running behind him.

I think this is Derek Brown...if I am right this is 1991 and Zach is just a freshman here!

'92 was in Tokyo, '93 is in Lincoln but no carries by Benning

I think this is Derek Brown...if I am right this is 1991 and Zach is just a freshman here!

He's blocking against a K-state guy and NU is in red so it's a home game.

I was looking at the 94 roster and the only 21 was Benning.

According to our schedules form 91 - 94:

91: KSU at home won 38 - 31
92: KSU in Tokyo won 38 - 24
93: KSU at Home won 45 - 28
94: At KSU Won 17 - 6

In 91 #21 was Brown
In 92 #21 was Brown
In 93 #21 was Benning
In 94 #21 was Benning

Last edited:

He's blocking against a K-state guy and NU is in red so it's a home game.

In 91 #21 was Brown
In 92 #21 was Brown
In 93 #21 was Benning
In 94 #21 was Benning

Correct -- it could only be 91 or 93. Benning shows no stats for 1993 game.

KSU180derekbrown.jpg

Derek Brown from 1991 game vs KSU. Looks like the same gear as the initial post. Also, I believe # 5 is William Price who was a senior at KSU in 91 (Chad May is the only # 5 in 1993).

So, Wiegert played as a freshman. Impressive! Especially when you remember the pipeline we used to have. We must have more like him and Stai!

Last edited:
I believe that Stai bench pressed 225 lbs, 37 times at the 95 NFL combine, which was far better than the second place guy and I believe was a record at that time. By comparison, I believe Nick Gates benched 225 lbs a total 20 reps in 2016.
He actually got that many?!?!!? Watching him get pushed around on the field I would of thought he had 10 or so.:Biggrin:

In 91 #21 was Brown
In 92 #21 was Brown
In 93 #21 was Benning
In 94 #21 was Benning
wow, look at these detective skills - outstanding!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back