• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Year 7: Tim Miles

Fastest coach in ISU history to 100 wins? No doubt, he’d be at the top of the list. I think the world of Lue, but Fred has lived the college coaching experience.

And yes, I am quoting my own post.

In no particular order, guys I’d certainly reach out to:

Hoiberg
Lue
Musselman
Dawkins
Beard
James (Duke)
Otzelberger

Some might laugh, some might be complete unknowns, but they are all guys who know the game.

Nice discussion. Good read and I'm learning.. one thing that won't budge (yet) is that feeling of wasted talent this year.

I don't know how T.M. runs his staff, but the person(s) responsible for bringing player strengths into the games and onto that floor seem to be falling down on the job. Passing low to tall players.. opening gates to the basket for the other team (c'mon, you can get the step in without fouling).. dribbling in slooowlly up court burning the clock in the middle of the game and muffling any energy that might be there.. etc.

Just my $.02 worth.

Nice discussion. Good read and I'm learning.. one thing that won't budge (yet) is that feeling of wasted talent this year.

I don't know how T.M. runs his staff, but the person(s) responsible for bringing player strengths into the games and onto that floor seem to be falling down on the job. Passing low to tall players.. opening gates to the basket for the other team (c'mon, you can get the step in without fouling).. dribbling in slooowlly up court burning the clock in the middle of the game and muffling any energy that might be there.. etc.

Just my $.02 worth.
I think it's a little too early to say the talent has been wasted this year. I think that assessment has to wait probably until february at the soonest.

to your point of walking up the court. It does seem to me that when NU is rolling they are playing at a faster pace and when they find themselves in those seemingly inevitable lulls that they are playing at a slower pace. Maybe it's a chicken or egg thing but it is interesting to me nonetheless.

I am probably in the minority here. but i really like this team and it is really fun to watch them. As for the texas tech loss, that was discouraging. But tech is looking like they could be really good. The minnesota game i thought they played great except for the last 7 min., but everybody knows how hard it is to win on the road in college bball. We still need that true big man, but i'm going to enjoy this season as much as possible before thinking about a different coach.

I am probably in the minority here. but i really like this team and it is really fun to watch them. As for the texas tech loss, that was discouraging. But tech is looking like they could be really good. The minnesota game i thought they played great except for the last 7 min., but everybody knows how hard it is to win on the road in college bball. We still need that true big man, but i'm going to enjoy this season as much as possible before thinking about a different coach.

Nice post and I agree. Enjoy the ride I am just happy they are playing well.

My question on the lack of a big man is, who is going to develop him? I’m not sure we have anyone on the staff who I would see as a good coach of inside players...at least based on what we’ve seen. Jordy was everything we needed from a physical standpoint, but he never got better or in a flow on either end of the court. Heiman is doing exactly what he did in High School, so I’m glad he had someone previously who worked with him. If I’m a decent 5 prospect, what do I see at Nebraska that I should be excited about, beyond possible early playing time?

Last edited:
It's Year 7 of the Tim Miles era. In the previous 6 seasons he only has two seasons with a winning record. 2 first round tournament knock outs (NCAA and NIT). A career record of 104-99 for a 51% winning record. He still makes "rookie coach" mistakes and mistakes that rookies don't make. His lack of ability to get a true "big man" in a conference that thrives on big men is disappointing. His recruiting is suspect and the roster has been a revolving door.

At $2.25MM per year, Nebraska fans should have higher expectations. Nebraska has some of the most beautiful on-campus facilities in the conference and in the country. Nebraska fans should have higher expectations. Tim Miles is the Mike Riley of college basketball.

I don't think it's premature to say it's time to start looking for a new coach. He may get his third winning this season but his overall body of work has been proven and he's hit his ceiling.

Blast away.
What are "rookie coach mistakes" , or is that just a non descriptive term to toss around.

Let this season play out. If you really think the men's basketball coach should get canned after winning 22+ games a year at Nebraska in back 2 back seasons, you need to check your expectations. Heck even 20 wins this year with how good the conference is would be enough. Have some historical context for crying out loud

What are "rookie coach mistakes" , or is that just a non descriptive term to toss around.

Let this season play out. If you really think the men's basketball coach should get canned after winning 22+ games a year at Nebraska in back 2 back seasons, you need to check your expectations. Heck even 20 wins this year with how good the conference is would be enough. Have some historical context for crying out loud

Would you call the lack of timeouts and changing up the defense to slow the momentum or penetration a crafty veteran move?

Would you say that Miles last NCAA team got there because of season long solid play? Or was it more about riding a guy who got ridiculously hot at the end of the season? Did we make the NCAAs with 22 wins? No, because our wins weren’t terribly compelling, and our losses were bad in many cases.

I’m all for being happy he’s had some success, but I’d be much happier if we saw some consistent player development, and not the constant influx and departure of players which prevents our teams from maturing as a group. Weaknesses we’ve identified from his first squad haven’t been addressed in 7 years. If they had, he could be sitting closer to a 60/40 ratio than a 50/50.

Beautiful facilities, great fan base, great league and Nebraska can't get a coach that does more than one thing well. What's it going to take? Lue comes back to learn the college game? Hoiberg comes back to coach where his grandfather did? Cookie Belcher? Some decent HS coach?

I sometimes think it would be better if Michael Lewis (or even Armon Gates) was the "floor coach" and Miles just run everything else.

I don't see Lue coming back to college. In the NBA, he is not viewed as a coach that develops players, that is why Cleveland let him go when they decided to rebuild. He relates well to veteran players and gets their attention.

One of the issues Husker fans bring is the football mentality to basketball games. Unlike football, losses are not only not the end of the world but they are expected.

I also like watching this team. When they are clicking, they are fun to watch. The problem is that when they are not clicking, its even more frustrating and they don't seem to have a guy that can be consistently depended on to stem the negative tide. I think Roby can and should be that guy but it never happens. Palmer can be that guy at times but not consistently. Far too often he pours gas on the drought fire.

Miles just seems like a guy that can win you some games but will never take you to the level where you ultimately want to go. Just like every football coach since Osborne. In football, we want to get back to such a place. In basketball, I think we are LONG overdue to be there.

I think @LarstheRed provided a good flyover to some of the issues. Miles comes into each game with what appears to be a solid game plan but when the tide turns against him, he doesn't make the necessary adjustments. He's too busy tweeting. His motion & 1 offense or whatever people want to call it, is contingent upon shooting a solid percentage from the field. The lack of a big man takes away the edge that the motion offense creates and thus is void of being able to take advantage of mismatches. The number of 3’s this team throws up look more like prayers.

Instead of utilizing timeouts to stop the momentum of the other team, Miles lets it ride. I’ve watched Denny Crum, Bob Knight, Tom Izzo, Dean Smith, Coach K and other coaches in their first year nearly use all of their timeouts in a 5-minute span just to change the tempo and momentum and jump into their player's grills to get them focused. The defensive adjustments Miles doesn't make are perplexing and are more of a team hoping the other team misses shots instead of making adjustments to counter the changes the opponent made. If they're playing match-up zone and keep getting blown up on the inside then adjustments need to be made. When they're playing Man or 2-3, they get worked over on back-door cuts or skip passes and their lack of size is hurting them on the boards.

I think Palmer is supposed to be the best player on the team and is averaging the highest PPG but he’s shooting 38% because Miles has no bench to sit Palmer. In the second half against Minnesota he was 0-7 from the field; 2 assists; 3 turnovers and 2 fouls. That’s Nebraska’s best player. But Miles hasn’t recruited well so he has no choice.

And finally, I think they have a chance to get to 20+ wins this year but let’s see who their wins and losses come against and let's see the manner in which this team loses games it should win (e.g. Minnesota) and let’s see what happens next year. As far as “checking my expectations”, you’re right, Nebraska is a .526 team in the history of basketball so I might as well continue to “expect” Miles to maintain that lofty average. Unfortunately, he’s currently sitting at .512 as the HC of Nebraska in Year 7.

I think @LarstheRed provided a good flyover to some of the issues. Miles comes into each game with what appears to be a solid game plan but when the tide turns against him, he doesn't make the necessary adjustments. He's too busy tweeting. His motion & 1 offense or whatever people want to call it, is contingent upon shooting a solid percentage from the field. The lack of a big man takes away the edge that the motion offense creates and thus is void of being able to take advantage of mismatches. The number of 3’s this team throws up look more like prayers.

Instead of utilizing timeouts to stop the momentum of the other team, Miles lets it ride. I’ve watched Denny Crum, Bob Knight, Tom Izzo, Dean Smith, Coach K and other coaches in their first year nearly use all of their timeouts in a 5-minute span just to change the tempo and momentum and jump into their player's grills to get them focused. The defensive adjustments Miles doesn't make are perplexing and are more of a team hoping the other team misses shots instead of making adjustments to counter the changes the opponent made. If they're playing match-up zone and keep getting blown up on the inside then adjustments need to be made. When they're playing Man or 2-3, they get worked over on back-door cuts or skip passes and their lack of size is hurting them on the boards.

I think Palmer is supposed to be the best player on the team and is averaging the highest PPG but he’s shooting 38% because Miles has no bench to sit Palmer. In the second half against Minnesota he was 0-7 from the field; 2 assists; 3 turnovers and 2 fouls. That’s Nebraska’s best player. But Miles hasn’t recruited well so he has no choice.

And finally, I think they have a chance to get to 20+ wins this year but let’s see who their wins and losses come against and let's see the manner in which this team loses games it should win (e.g. Minnesota) and let’s see what happens next year. As far as “checking my expectations”, you’re right, Nebraska is a .526 team in the history of basketball so I might as well continue to “expect” Miles to maintain that lofty average. Unfortunately, he’s currently sitting at .512 as the HC of Nebraska in Year 7.
Burn! You just looked up that Tim Miles winning percentage is .014 less than the illustrious Nebraska "history of basketball"!

What is his winning percentage after the crieghton win? Does it matter? Happy to be winning now. Also, I think he is doing a fine job recruiting

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back