• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MBB Game #9, (L, 85-78), Wed, 12/5 @ Minnesota (#55) (6-2), 8:00pm CT, BTN

Not disappointed they lost the game. To me it was a toss up going in. Minnesota is a good solid team. I am disappointed how they lost the game, after leading for 85% of it.

You can bitch all you want about Tim Miles, I am not a BBall x and o guy. Probably should have called some TO at some point at the end of the game.

For me it comes down to Minnesota's superstar player Amir Coffey taking over the game and willing his team to a win. The guy had 32 while Nebraska's superstar scorer James Palmer finishes with 11. Watson and Copeland had their usual nights, Roby scored 15, heck the Heiman had 9 points in 15 minutes. Wouldn't that be nice if they could get 6-8 points out of that kid every night.

Palmer has to score 18 every night against a good team or they aren't going to win. That is probably a simplistic view of things, but Coffey played lights out and Palmer didn't and Nebraska lost.

You are right. James Palmer/Terran Petteway HAVE to score 20+ in order to win. the problem is the amount of team capital that gets spent each night so Palmer can get his. volume scorers are a dime a dozen. give them the green light and sometimes you'll be rewarded with dazzling plays and all big 10 performances, and other times you'll get crossover dribble step back 3pt bricks. one thing is consistent in either of those scenarios...the rest of the team doesn't know what to expect each night and they end up watching the show too.

I bring up TerranP alot even though he's long gone, in order to remind folks that we've seen this movie before. i already know how its gonna end. I hope the outcome will be different, but I'm fairly convinced it won't.

Tim Miles is responsible for managing the playground. he is the one who sets the tone for whats a good shot vs what isn't. He is the one who determines who gets a green light to do whatever they want and who doesn't. he sets the rules, if there are any. he is the one who calls timeout to remind guys that you have to play defense, or actually try and box out on a rebound, or that maybe there is something else we can try on offense when things start to get intense, vs just passing to 1 guy and watching him dribble around, trying to make a play vs 2 defenders.

You are right. James Palmer/Terran Petteway HAVE to score 20+ in order to win. the problem is the amount of team capital that gets spent each night so Palmer can get his. volume scorers are a dime a dozen. give them the green light and sometimes you'll be rewarded with dazzling plays and all big 10 performances, and other times you'll get crossover dribble step back 3pt bricks. one thing is consistent in either of those scenarios...the rest of the team doesn't know what to expect each night and they end up watching the show too.

I bring up TerranP alot even though he's long gone, in order to remind folks that we've seen this movie before. i already know how its gonna end. I hope the outcome will be different, but I'm fairly convinced it won't.

Tim Miles is responsible for managing the playground. he is the one who sets the tone for whats a good shot vs what isn't. He is the one who determines who gets a green light to do whatever they want and who doesn't. he sets the rules, if there are any. he is the one who calls timeout to remind guys that you have to play defense, or actually try and box out on a rebound, or that maybe there is something else we can try on offense when things start to get intense, vs just passing to 1 guy and watching him dribble around, trying to make a play vs 2 defenders.

Copeland had a hot hand last night. Roby was moving well to the basket with the ball.

In the last 8 minutes, we had no offensive sets to get those two looks and opportunities. Instead, we just kind of wandered around out there...

Honestly, coaches I know have plays to use for every one of his guys. You need that, because you never know where your hot hand, or mismatch will come from. Some nights you will have the advantage inside, some outside, it could be Copeland, it could be Watson, but you have sets to use that give them better looks. I never see that with this team. Palmer is supposed to be the go to guy, no matter how off he is, and we have 3 guys standing around watching as he struggles. It’s just poorly structured basketball.

Just listened to the game but heres some random thoughts on the loss

1 - Miles got out coached by a Petino. Not shocking. Biggest mistake was he let them go on a huge run and never called TO to gather themselves and reset. Stupid. And although the last few games, Miles suprised me by showing some offensive inteligence. he didnt this game.

2 - Road games in the Big 10 arent coming easy. The Clemson win was huge to show we could win a quality win on the road. This loss is not a big deal, if we can beat Creighton Saturday Night then we have the schedule to real off 3 more wins at home after that. Would put us at 11-2 and in a great spot. Lets not give up on this team.

3 - heimann. He emerged last night as a guy that can help us. VEry promising for going forward. If he can continue to emerge, that would be a huge help to this team.

4 - Tim Miles teams have historically played better mid season. I've never been a Tim Miles fan, but I like this team and even the best of NU teams of the 90s had losses now and then that they shouldnt have had. Lets just HOpe we grow from here.

GBR

Look I know you hate Tim Miles as a coach, you say that in every post. I get that. You and countless other people on this board think Nebraska should do better for a coach. You would think they can, but why haven't they ever? In my lifetime Danny Nee is by far the best coach they have ever had but even he didn't last. If NU wins 22-23 games this year and wins a game in the tournament. How you going to get rid of him? IMO NU is always going to struggle to get quality players at least he is getting some. You never saw that with Doc and Barry.

The only redeeming thing I see by comparison to TP, is Palmer can actually pass if he chooses to. It’s up to Miles to make sure he knows he doesn’t have a green light when he’s shooting 30%.

Look I know you hate Tim Miles as a coach, you say that in every post. I get that. You and countless other people on this board think Nebraska should do better for a coach. You would think they can, but why haven't they ever? In my lifetime Danny Nee is by far the best coach they have ever had but even he didn't last. If NU wins 22-23 games this year and wins a game in the tournament. How you going to get rid of him? IMO NU is always going to struggle to get quality players at least he is getting some. You never saw that with Doc and Barry.

I’m not of the belief that a good coach can’t be enticed to come to Lincoln. If Nevada Reno can pull a guy like Musselman, or UCF a guy like Dawkins, then it’s not impossible to find quality coaches looking for opportunity.

Miles has brought talent, but one could argue, very little out of high school. His primary successes are transfers. That doesn’t create a great formula for building a team over the years, it’s more of a one or two year roll of the dice.

I’m not of the belief that a good coach can’t be enticed to come to Lincoln. If Nevada Reno can pull a guy like Musselman, or UCF a guy like Dawkins, then it’s not impossible to find quality coaches looking for opportunity.

Miles has brought talent, but one could argue, very little out of high school. His primary successes are transfers. That doesn’t create a great formula for building a team over the years, it’s more of a one or two year roll of the dice.

I never said they can't entice a good coach to Nebraska, I said why haven't they? Nevada is built on transfer guys. Those twins transferred in from S. Carolina or NC State I think.

I never said they can't entice a good coach to Nebraska, I said why haven't they? Nevada is built on transfer guys. Those twins transferred in from S. Carolina or NC State I think.
No doubt Nevada is built on transfers, but have you watched them play? They play well, they have some structure and can get shots when needed. I’d also point out recruiting to UNR is not the same. You play at altitude, Reno is not a great town, the facilities are marginal, and the conference isn’t on a par with the B1G.

No doubt Nevada is built on transfers, but have you watched them play? They play well, they have some structure and can get shots when needed. I’d also point out recruiting to UNR is not the same. You play at altitude, Reno is not a great town, the facilities are marginal, and the conference isn’t on a par with the B1G.

I live in Idaho and Mountain West country I have watched them play live against BSU last year. I am not debating any of that. No one likes Tim Miles as a coach. My question was why has Nebraska never had a really good BBall coach? How do you fire him if he makes the tournament and wins a game?

I live in Idaho and Mountain West country I have watched them play live against BSU last year. I am not debating any of that. No one likes Tim Miles as a coach. My question was why has Nebraska never had a really good BBall coach? How do you fire him if he makes the tournament and wins a game?
Ah, that’s the catch, how do you fire him if he even just makes the tournament? The answer is you don’t. I don’t think Moos is a Miles fan, but he also recognizes the tournament means an extension.

We haven’t ponied up the cash in the past as well as we do now. We can snag an up and comer if the need arises.

Honestly, coaches I know have plays to use for every one of his guys. You need that, because you never know where your hot hand, or mismatch will come from. Some nights you will have the advantage inside, some outside, it could be Copeland, it could be Watson, but you have sets to use that give them better looks. I never see that with this team. Palmer is supposed to be the go to guy, no matter how off he is, and we have 3 guys standing around watching as he struggles. It’s just poorly structured basketball.
I agree. Today's basketball leans towards mismatches and athleticism but you have to have a back up plan when isolation basketball is not working. Miles rarely has an answer when it comes time to running set plays to get easy baskets. I thought Miles blew it the 2nd half by not going to our 1-3-1 defense. Minnesota penetrated at will and we did not have an answer. It's a game of adjustments and Miles did not adjust.

Ah, that’s the catch, how do you fire him if he even just makes the tournament? The answer is you don’t. I don’t think Moos is a Miles fan, but he also recognizes the tournament means an extension.

We haven’t ponied up the cash in the past as well as we do now. We can snag an up and comer if the need arises.

Part of "why haven't they" is just luck. Nebraska is a program that obviously isn't going to lure someone away from a program like Kansas or Michigan St. But they also aren't a program that is going to lure someone away from Kansas State or Missouri. No matter the money because those programs will match nebraska assuming NU doesn't go nuts and throw an unreasonable amount of money at one of those guys.

So what do you do? We've had that debate here a thousand times. Do you keep going to the "up and coming mid major" guy and hope that the odds eventually lead you to a guy that's going to be the man? Or do you go the route Northwestern went and get a guy off the staff of one on the big boys like Coach K or Izzo? If I'm NU...that's the route I go next time. Why not?

As for Miles. Nothing has changed my opinion of his coaching ability...I've been saying since about year 3 that he's mediocre at best. What he will do is catch lightning in a bottle every 4 years or so when he has some experienced talent and you go on a run like in '14 or like what is expected this year. When his teams perform it's DESPITE him IMO. That's not a recipe for sustained success.

I agree. Today's basketball leans towards mismatches and athleticism but you have to have a back up plan when isolation basketball is not working. Miles rarely has an answer when it comes time to running set plays to get easy baskets. I thought Miles blew it the 2nd half by not going to our 1-3-1 defense. Minnesota penetrated at will and we did not have an answer. It's a game of adjustments and Miles did not adjust.

And we don’t have to just live in a 1-3-1, we can change it up a bit, but trying a little something to slow their roll would have been nice. Maybe Miles felt staying man protected Roby, but who knows why he does what he does.

And we don’t have to just live in a 1-3-1, we can change it up a bit, but trying a little something to slow their roll would have been nice. Maybe Miles felt staying man protected Roby, but who knows why he does what he does.
Exactly. Switch it up, slow their penetration, get a couple tipped passes and see if you can change the momentum. It's tougher to rebound in zone defense but to watch them drive time and time again tells me you need to show them something different even for a few possessions. With our long arms and quickness I'm surprised we don't use it a little more.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back