• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ohio Stat Recruits

SierraRed

I'm pretty good at drinking beer
5 Year Member
Two of them decommitted today, and it would not surprise me if there are more to come. Do we have a shot at any of them?

I haven’t read many of the stories about new Coach Day. Has he stated the staff will remain intact? Will Schiano leave because he was passed over? (Or is he resigned to be a coordinator forever because of the Penn State allegations that ruined his head coach opportunity a couple years ago)?

I haven’t read many of the stories about new Coach Day. Has he stated the staff will remain intact? Will Schiano leave because he was passed over? (Or is he resigned to be a coordinator forever because of the Penn State allegations that ruined his head coach opportunity a couple years ago)?

I've wondered about that staff now as well. Ohio State has arguably the best coaching staff on the country, if not top 5. Their co-offensive coordinators are former head coaches, of their co-defensive coordinators, one is a former HC and the other has been one of the hottest up and coming defensive guys for the last couple years.

Having someone like Meyer allows coaches to check their egos and be a part of something bigger because they know another opportunity will come from it. Much like with Saban at Alabama. But will all of those guys be ok with Day? Does Grinch take the Oklahoma DC gig? Do any of the assistants get plucked from another team? Guys like Larry Johnson and Tony Alford are outstanding position coaches and would be coveted elsewhere.

I think Kevin Wilson stays as OC. Those guys coordinated the 2nd ranked offense in the country together and have similar philosophies. I also expect Schiano to stick around. From what I've heard, Schiano really helped Day during the interim role early this season and he's a guy with a lot of experience to sort of help Day along. Not to mention Day doesn't have a defensive background and Schiano is a respected defensive mind. The Buckeyes had their struggles at times this year, but I think Schiano is a good DC. I wouldn't be surprised if Grinch went somewhere else. If not this year then definitely next year. I can't see he and Schiano sharing duties for long.

Last edited:
I've wondered about that staff now as well. Ohio State has arguably the best coaching staff on the country, if not top 5. Their co-offensive coordinators are former head coaches, of their co-defensive coordinators, one is a former HC and the other has been one of the hottest up and coming defensive guys for the last couple years.

Having someone like Meyer allows coaches to check their egos and be a part of something bigger because they know another opportunity will come from it. Much like with Saban at Alabama. But will all of those guys be ok with Day? Does Grinch take the Oklahoma DC gig? Do any of the assistants get plucked from another team? Guys like Larry Johnson and Tony Alford are outstanding position coaches and would be coveted elsewhere.

I think Kevin Wilson stays as OC. Those guys coordinated the 2nd ranked offense in the country together and have similar philosophies. I also expect Schiano to stick around. From what I've heard, Schiano really helped Day during the interim role early this season and he's a guy with a lot of experience to sort of help Day along. Not to mention Day doesn't have a defensive background and Schiano is a respected defensive mind. The Buckeyes had their struggles at times this year, but I think Schiano is a good DC. I wouldn't be surprised if Grinch went somewhere else. If not this year then definitely next year. I can't see he and Schiano sharing duties for long.
Man it would be hilarious if Grinch went somewhere else and there was a recruit named Christmas that he stole away with him.
images

I don’t really get why OSU chose Ryan Day so quickly. I’m hoping he is a Luke Fickell as interim HC disaster when Tressel was let go. I don’t know why Day would keep UM’s staff. The program won’t really be HIS vision until he has his own hires as position and Asst Coaches. I’m just hopeful that the guy is a big failure so OSU gets taken down several pegs.

I don’t really get why OSU chose Ryan Day so quickly. I’m hoping he is a Luke Fickell as interim HC disaster when Tressel was let go. I don’t know why Day would keep UM’s staff. The program won’t really be HIS vision until he has his own hires as position and Asst Coaches. I’m just hopeful that the guy is a big failure so OSU gets taken down several pegs.
TO didn’t bounce a large number of BD assistants. I don’t believe Lincoln Riley did either. When you have a strong, focused group who work well together, a transition can be pretty smooth. Schiano has been mentioned as a departure because he may have wanted the job, but after the Tennessee fiasco, he might accept he’s going to struggle getting another shot as HC, and just be satisfied as a highly paid assistant, which OSU can easily do.

Although i agree in theory. There may have been other assistants who thought they deserved it. I believe.(no evidence just speculation) that both when TO took over and FS took over the DCs thought they should have been considered. Both left just a couple years later. And the coaches seemed less motivated.

Probably the same reasons TO chose Frank so quickly.

Their season isn't over yet. Maybe there will be upcoming departures after the season.

Maintaining continuity and stability is a big deal when changing coaching staffs. any Husker fan should be able to see that. The least disruption the better. I hope OSU continues at a high rate of success. It sets the bar in the B1G as to what level Nebraska has to climb. Lowering the bar doesn't do anybody any good.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back