• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Boxing: DAZN, Showtime, ESPN, HBO

Can Canelo carry this DAZN? Will he be relevant in 11 fights? I liked HBO, not really a big fan of Showtime but kind of like ESPN. Ultimately I don't really want to pay $9.99 to watch boxing at anytime I would like. I think that if it isn't HBO/Showtime/ESPN where you have a little greater overall access to boxing this DAZN venture might not be a great one.

Can Canelo carry this DAZN? Will he be relevant in 11 fights? I liked HBO, not really a big fan of Showtime but kind of like ESPN. Ultimately I don't really want to pay $9.99 to watch boxing at anytime I would like. I think that if it isn't HBO/Showtime/ESPN where you have a little greater overall access to boxing this DAZN venture might not be a great one.

I liked the presentation better on HBO but Showtime has a good stable of fighters. I think the Friday night ShoBox thing is nice for getting to know some of the up and comers. Plus, I kind of like Paulie as a color commentator. I'm guessing ESPN will pick up the HBO slack (as they already started to do this year). Canelo is a heck of a boxer. He's a (relatively, as boxing is still teetering) big draw here in the states and one of the most important contemporary Mexican athletes. That said, it'll take more than a couple fighters to carry an enterprise as ambitious as DAZN.

are there any boxing fans here?
what do you guys think of the current shifting landscape, with DAZN, and with HBO boxing going away? if you are not much of a fan, or you used to be, why or why not?

I love boxing. But, the biggest downside about boxing, whether it's due to promoters, sanctioning bodies, ducking, building a payday, whatever, is that we rarely get the fight we want when we want it. The most obvious example being the Floyd v Manny travesty. 147 is stacked and, even though Porter v Garcia was fun, there hasn't been a relevant fight since Thurman v Garcia. Let's get some combo of Thurman, Spence, and Crawford in the ring within 18 months rather than waiting 3 years. I have a real hard time getting excited about the prospects of Bud v Manny or Bud v Horn II.

Boxing sometimes..... well a lot of times drives me crazy with the promotion part of the deal. Oscar, Bob Arum, Al Haymon (Floyd)...... These clowns are so money hungry themselves they refuse to let their guys fight the other guys if fear that those guys might lose. Probably the one thing for me that MMA has on boxing, more top fights. I do like the fact that Floyd was essentially a free agent. Even though there was the slight possibility that he ducked fights (lol). Would love to see the Crawford/Spence fight which would be an instant fight of the year candidate. Also would like to see Canelo/GGG III fight as well. GGG is gonna knock CA out.

this is interesting... i think it's definitely cheaper to pay 9.99 a month than to pay 80 per fight. it isn't only canelo on dazn. there's joshua, jacobs, andrade, vargas, soon ortiz, soon Golovkin. dazn has good value for the money, as it isn't just canelo they have.

in any case we'll see how showtime does over the next year, but they may end up going the way of HBO. PPV boxing is a dying breed.

Boxing sometimes..... well a lot of times drives me crazy with the promotion part of the deal. Oscar, Bob Arum, Al Haymon (Floyd)...... These clowns are so money hungry themselves they refuse to let their guys fight the other guys if fear that those guys might lose. Probably the one thing for me that MMA has on boxing, more top fights. I do like the fact that Floyd was essentially a free agent. Even though there was the slight possibility that he ducked fights (lol). Would love to see the Crawford/Spence fight which would be an instant fight of the year candidate. Also would like to see Canelo/GGG III fight as well. GGG is gonna knock CA out.

absolutely right. having only one matchmaker definitely has more pros than the current boxing landscape. MMA may be susceptible to a dictatorship, but it's currently beating the shanigans that go on in boxing between bodies and between promoters.

As much as I love boxing and combat sports in general, i can't see paying $10 a month to not watch the top fighters fight each other. If that part of it changes then I'd consider paying the subscription fee. As far as HBO goes, I'll miss the fights they put on, but I won't miss the douchiness of Lampley and Kellerman. ESPN has done a good job with their Friday Night Fights. I like the young stable of fighters they have so far. I don't have Showtime, but I like Berstein and they do a good job with their PPV fights.

Y'all are spot on about the different promotions though. Like @joestrummer mentioned, 147 is absolutely loaded and should be make for some fantastic fights, but will we ever see Crawford vs Spence/Porter/Garcia etc? That's what hurts boxing vs MMA. If the UFC can deal Johnson to ONE for Askren to get better matchups then they will continue to hold a significant portion of the combat sports scene by providing better entertainment. We've already seen the UFC Fight Nights out draw boxing on ESPN and CBS.

Does Joshua vs Wilder ever happen?
What about the Wilder fight vs. Fury. I think that Wilder beats him, but I can also see Wilder getting sloppy and getting caught on the inside. If Wilder beats Fury the Joshua immediately becomes the biggest fight in boxing. Well at least there will be intrigue in the heavyweight division.

It needs to for the sake of the heavyweight division. I'm not sure either is a great fighter but Joshua earned some stripes in the Klitschko fight and Wilder's right hand is devastating. Heavyweight boxing lost my interest years ago but I'd pay to see Wilder v Joshua.

You think that Joshua earned stripes against Kiltchko? Klitchko was baaaad in that fight. I think a number of boxers could have beaten him on that night.

It needs to for the sake of the heavyweight division. I'm not sure either is a great fighter but Joshua earned some stripes in the Klitschko fight and Wilder's right hand is devastating. Heavyweight boxing lost my interest years ago but I'd pay to see Wilder v Joshua.
Exactly. What is the heavyweight division without the two biggest names in it not fighting each other?

What about the Wilder fight vs. Fury. I think that Wilder beats him, but I can also see Wilder getting sloppy and getting caught on the inside. If Wilder beats Fury the Joshua immediately becomes the biggest fight in boxing. Well at least there will be intrigue in the heavyweight division.

I think Wilder is the better fighter, but Fury can certainly end Wilder's night in a bad way if Wilder gets sloppy. And Wilder is prone to getting sloppy in fights.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back