• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bierock, aka Runza

BigNed

Blackshirt
15 Year Member
Just made these goodies.
thumbnail

Can't see the picture. Not sure what's up there.

My mom used to make them when I was a kid and they were always a big hit. I had planned on buying one for my son at the game last week until I saw somebody eating one. Not really the same animal.

I make them every now and then. What is your recipe?
This is how I make them.

2 pounds of lean ground beef
1 medium onion ( I run it through a food processor)
2 teaspoons of salt (a little less if you prefer)
1 teaspoon ground pepper
2 pounds of shredded cabbage, cooked down and drained (I buy a couple heads of cabbage and chop up)

I toss the cabbage into a pot and cook down then drain.
I brown and cook the hamburger with the onion, salt and pepper in a different pan.

After the cabbage has cooked down, I drain and then mix with the hamburger. Then cook on low for just a short time mixing several times to get the flavors to mix.

I then put the mixture in the fridge overnight, this helps with the flavor and really helps in putting them together as the cold mixture isn't as wet and doesn't make the dough as mushy.

I buy Rhodes bread dough, I let it raise (per instructions on the bag) in cooking pans coated with either spray oil or butter, for ease to get the dough out of the pan.

When the dough is raised I put flour down and roll it out and use a pizza cutter to cut rolled out dough into squares, I usually cut them to approx. 10"x10" then put the mixture on the square and fold up the sides and pinch, then flip it over and put it on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.

I cook them at 375 degrees in the center rack for about 30 minutes or until brown. (just cooking the bread, the mixture is already cooked), I do pull them out after about 15 minutes and brush them with butter.

I found this recipe on the net and it is really close to what my aunt used to make. She passed away years ago and I couldn't find her recipe. She made the dough from scratch.
frozen-bread-dough.png

Does your recipe differ?

Last edited:

Can't see the picture. Not sure what's up there.

My mom used to make them when I was a kid and they were always a big hit. I had planned on buying one for my son at the game last week until I saw somebody eating one. Not really the same animal.
IMO, the one that you get from Runza is not even close to being as good as homemade. In a pinch they are at best, OK.

Last edited:
This is how I make them.

1 teaspoon ground pepper
2 pounds of shredded cabbage, cooked down and drained (I buy a couple heads of cabbage and chop up)

I brown and cook the hamburger with the onion, salt and pepper in a different pan.

After the cabbage has cooked down, I drain and then mix with the hamburger. Then cook on low for just a short time mixing several times to get the flavors to mix.

I then put the mixture in the fridge overnight, this helps with the flavor and really helps in putting them together as the cold mixture isn't as wet and doesn't make the dough as mushy.

I buy Rhodes bread dough, I let it raise (per instructions on the bag) in cooking pans coated with either spray oil or butter, for ease to get the dough out of the pan.

When the dough is raised I put flour down and roll it out and use a pizza cutter to cut rolled out dough into squares, I usually cut them to approx. 10"x10" then put the mixture on the square and fold up the sides and pinch, then flip it over and put it on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.

I cook them at 375 degrees in the center rack for about 30 minutes or until brown. (just cooking the bread, the mixture is already cooked), I do pull them out after about 15 minutes and brush them with butter.

I found this recipe on the net and it is really close to what my aunt used to make. She passed away years ago and I couldn't find her recipe. She made the dough from scratch.
frozen-bread-dough.png

Does your recipe differ?

my is almost the same except i add some finely grated garlic and i need some heat so either some cayenne pepper or other heat

This is how I make them.

1 teaspoon ground pepper

frozen-bread-dough.png

Does your recipe differ?
My Grandmother would use sauerkraut that was freshly made. She would also throw in a little dill. And of course the bread was homemade, and the top was buttered right out of the oven so it didn't get overly crunchy.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back