• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Summer high school club ball is here.

showballcoach

Recruit
2 Year Member
It’s official that Nebraska now. The Prospects are running summer travel/showcase teams.

No I don’t coach for them but I know these guys well. Very good coaching and excellent at getting the kids looks. Trouble for the Huskers is most of the guys end up someplace else. Huskers need to build a relationship with these guys ASAP.

giphy.gif

Having endured NE Legion baseball I hope this is the beginning of the end of Legion dominance in Nebraska. Legion should just be Rec ball

Last edited:

You do realize that Nebraska is one of just a handfull of states that still has Legion ball as the primary summer HS age baseball right? I’d really like to hear experiences you have had in the last 2-3 years talking to college coaches. I’m serious, please share what coaches have told you.

I’ve talked to coaches from every D1 school from SD to Oklahoma, plus almost every D2 coach in the MIAA and the big Jucos in Nebraska and Kansas. Add in a lot of NAIA top 20 programs. Not one of them said Legion is a priority visit. What they do say is it’s very little return on investment to drive in to see possibly 1 kid out of the 2 20 man rosters that might be worth the effort to recruit. Instead they can go to the big 5 Tool or Perfect Game summer/fall tournaments and see a roster where every kid is a potential recruit. They also tell us that the level of play in Legion is so bad most of the time that it’s really difficult to see if “super star Johnny” is really a superstar, or just beating up on really bad competition. They want to see him face a team of D1/D2 prospects where they have a bullpen of good pitchers, not a team with one super starter and then a bunch of converted position players that can only throw a 4 seam FB and a hanging curve.

You do realize that Nebraska is one of just a handfull of states that still has Legion ball as the primary summer HS age baseball right? I’d really like to hear experiences you have had in the last 2-3 years talking to college coaches. I’m serious, please share what coaches have told you.

I’ve talked to coaches from every D1 school from SD to Oklahoma, plus almost every D2 coach in the MIAA and the big Jucos in Nebraska and Kansas. Add in a lot of NAIA top 20 programs. Not one of them said Legion is a priority visit. What they do say is it’s very little return on investment to drive in to see possibly 1 kid out of the 2 20 man rosters that might be worth the effort to recruit. Instead they can go to the big 5 Tool or Perfect Game summer/fall tournaments and see a roster where every kid is a potential recruit. They also tell us that the level of play in Legion is so bad most of the time that it’s really difficult to see if “super star Johnny” is really a superstar, or just beating up on really bad competition. They want to see him face a team of D1/D2 prospects where they have a bullpen of good pitchers, not a team with one super starter and then a bunch of converted position players that can only throw a 4 seam FB and a hanging curve.
I don't care to explain anything to you, you're just annoying. I don't start threads on all the times i've talked to the Hutch, IWCC, Millard, Norris, Lincoln Southwest, or any of those coaches. Nor do I start a thread when their season is starting and how important it is to get in front of them. I don't start a thread on the multiple talks i've had with Erstad, Bolt, Ledbetter, Van Horn, or Childress.

Everywhere is a priority, not just the place you happen to have connections with so you pelt us with threads about them.

I don't care to explain anything to you, you're just annoying. I don't start threads on all the times i've talked to the Hutch, IWCC, Millard, Norris, Lincoln Southwest, or any of those coaches. Nor do I start a thread when their season is starting and how important it is to get in front of them. I don't start a thread on the multiple talks i've had with Erstad, Bolt, Ledbetter, Van Horn, or Childress.

Everywhere is a priority, not just the place you happen to have connections with so you pelt us with threads about them.

Somebody is insecure about their baseball career, huh?

I will tell everyone here that due to my own sons experience if you want to play college baseball don't play legion baseball. There are a few programs that may be different but for the most part they do not prepare you to compete at the next level. Legion baseball is great for kids that want to play a little baseball in the summer and have some fun, and that is what rec ball is. If you want to compete at a high level and be ready to fight for a spot when you get to college then Legion baseball is not the place to do it.

I will tell everyone here that due to my own sons experience if you want to play college baseball don't play legion baseball. There are a few programs that may be different but for the most part they do not prepare you to compete at the next level. Legion baseball is great for kids that want to play a little baseball in the summer and have some fun, and that is what rec ball is. If you want to compete at a high level and be ready to fight for a spot when you get to college then Legion baseball is not the place to do it.

Not everyone gets to college sports.

If you want to play college sports, just be good. Doesn't matter where you play.

It's pretty simple.

You are correct, just be good. But how do you get good and how does anyone find out you are. Steel sharpens steel and you don't see many scouts when Albion plays ONeill in baseball. If you play football or basketball you can send game tape, if you want to be noticed in baseball from anywhere other then elkhorn or Millard you better be playing travel ball.

You are correct, just be good. But how do you get good and how does anyone find out you are. Steel sharpens steel and you don't see many scouts when Albion plays ONeill in baseball. If you play football or basketball you can send game tape, if you want to be noticed in baseball from anywhere other then elkhorn or Millard you better be playing travel ball.

I agree that only Class A is going to have players. If you're from O'Neil, and you are good at baseball, I promise you Marcus Clapp knows about you.

I never said only class A has players, I am saying only class A has kids that are prepared to do anything at the next level unless you supplement your spring ball (if you have it) with something else. There is no way to prove anything but would a Bryce Harper ever become a Bryce Harper if they played in say Ord. I can name countless football players that have grown up in small town Nebraska, played 8 man or small 11 man and gone on to great things at Nebraska or even the NFL. I can't do the same for baseball. Please give me a Nebraska small town equivalent in baseball to a Dean Steinkuler, or Scott Shanle, or Russ Hochstein, or a Mackavicka, or Drew Ott, or Bazata, or Cory Schlesenger. These are all very small town kids that found a way to succeed at a very high level after the disadvantages of being in small town football. Shouldn't it be equal in baseball?

I never said only class A has players, I am saying only class A has kids that are prepared to do anything at the next level unless you supplement your spring ball (if you have it) with something else. There is no way to prove anything but would a Bryce Harper ever become a Bryce Harper if they played in say Ord. I can name countless football players that have grown up in small town Nebraska, played 8 man or small 11 man and gone on to great things at Nebraska or even the NFL. I can't do the same for baseball. Please give me a Nebraska small town equivalent in baseball to a Dean Steinkuler, or Scott Shanle, or Russ Hochstein, or a Mackavicka, or Drew Ott, or Bazata, or Cory Schlesenger. These are all very small town kids that found a way to succeed at a very high level after the disadvantages of being in small town football. Shouldn't it be equal in baseball?

Travis Hughes. Elwood, NE off the top of my head.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back