• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

SOCCER 2018-2019

jikastew

15 Year Member
Might as well combine all soccer related stuff into one thread this year?

Amazing week for our household. Chelsea has a fantastic transfer window. They get the lynchpin to Sarri's system in Jorginho to start things off early. A must get. Done and done. Roman then goes to sleep for a month, successful ignoring Courtois because he's a whiny punk. They overpay for probably the best young keeper in the world = that's fine. They get Kovacic on loan (and who are we kidding, he wants out of Real Madrid. Whether there is a buy-back clause doesn't matter anymore in world football). Bakayoko is going to Milan unless things unravel, which is great because he's horrendous. And by that, I mean "worst midfielder I've seen get regular minutes in the EPL". We retain everyone that matters. I would have asked for a huge name at CF, but that wasn't available this year. Besides, Morata lost his best friend last year and I'm hoping that explains his generally suckiness last year. We have 2 of our best youth academy players, who the manager actually likes, staying up. Loftus-Cheek, marginalized by Jose and Conte, is on board. Would have liked to lose Drinkwater. He doesn't fit Sarri's system. Though I haven't checked if he was offloaded at the deadline.

So to sum up: midfield should be VASTLY improved. Scoring should be better with ":Bats/Giroud/Morata whoever scores, plays" rotation. Defense can't be worse.

Got the parts that mattered except a big name #9. Lost nothing. Got younger and faster. Got rid of coach cancer. Hired the manager who plays a successful style fans love. Didn't break the bank or mortgage the future of the team. Well done, Roman.

Now, Sporting KC. Mired in a mid-season slump. No discernable threat at CF all year. No hope on the horizon. Then.....out of nowhere.......Felipe is back in game form from injury. We sign back Nemeth at CF (while making a neat 1.6M from the trade and reacquisition). We sign Fontas from Celta Viga. We merge 3 stud youth products into the fold in Busio, Kuzain and Lindsey. All positions of need have been addressed. Youth are being incorporated. This is how small-market SKC should do business. Well done from top brass on down.

On paper, this is the best 1st squad I've seen from SKC since following them. By a long ways.

Great week.

Just realized the USMNT was playing Columbia tonight. Game is in Tampa and the crowd looks pretty much all gold or Columbia fans. Columbia just scored twice in a matter of minutes and they lead 4-2.

Still no head coach and this team looks lost. Which is why I have no clue when they play anymore as I have quit paying attention

Last edited:

Holden said the USA will hire a coach by 1 November. Said the new coach has a lot of work to do to get the USA back to competing at a level they did in the past. Also said the new coach will have to get the fan base excited again which will not be easy.

We all agree that this has been handled horrendously by US Soccer. They better hope the Coach they hire is the right one for all the obvious reasons.

Final Columbia 4 USA 2

Didn't watch the game. What I do know is that we are in full-on transition mode. Finally.

Holden. That pissed off tirade he went on last year is still worth a listen every so often. Can't say I was a huge fan of his before it. But definitely hold him in high regard after. He doesn't always say things I agree with, but I know darn well who side he's on.

Anyone watch the Chelsea game this last weekend? Aside from the killer 3rd kits.......just who in the hell is this Ross Barkley? Oh, I knew who he was. But the dude who came to play last weekend was a completely different player. If that player shows up and continues to improve (he's only 24) what a financial masterpiece that would become. Wasn't he snatched up for 17M or something? To this point, he was just one of many before him to see his growth stifled in the EPL.

I think we've probably come close to reaching the tipping point for the EPL. At some point in the near future, as the other European leagues slowly creep up toward EPL salary numbers, we will start seeing more and more players leaving. It's been my stance for the last couple years of getting acquainted with different leagues afforded by expanded TV options, that the EPL is a horrible league to bring young players into. Now, we have established players publicly talking about greener pastures. Between the rough style of play (as injury statistics prove) and the ridiculous schedule that destroys their ability to recover, players aren't dumb to its effects on their career longevity. Check out Harry Kane's schedule over the past year, including the World Cup. It's atrocious. Same for Hazard, etc. They are doing the opposite of protecting their talent. At least the teams individually have recognized it. RR is probably having an aneurysm reading after reading that. But, this fan would rather watch 2 mid-table teams play in La Liga than the EPL as things stand right now. Of course, I'm not a big fan of repeatedly going wide and crossing the ball instead of matriculating it through congestion when attacking. Unless you have the talent of City, trying to work in congestion isn't nearly as feasible in the EPL when you're allowed to pull jerseys and cross check opposing players. I might be ranting a little bit now.

RR, that must have been a gut punch for you yesterday. So sorry ;). What a great game. Ashley showed up big time for ManU. Ross freaking Barkley to the rescue. This just in.......de Gea is good.

That Chelsea idiot assistant who provoked Jose should be fired or suspended for awhile, I would think. Embarrassing.

Last edited:
RR, that must have been a gut punch for you yesterday. So sorry ;). What a great game. Ashley showed up big time for ManU. Ross freaking Barkley to the rescue. This just in.......de Gea is good.

That Chelsea idiot assistant who provoked Jose should be fired or suspended for awhile, I would think. Embarrassing.

Nope I am good. QPR is on a roll 7 out of 8 possible points in the last four games. Up to 11th in the table ( could be as high as 8th except for GD) and on the move. Only 6 points out of the Tip spot in the league. Hopeful we return to the top flight this season

United is my second team because of family tradition

Last edited:

QPR with a 1-0 win over Aston Villa is now 4-0-1 in their last five games taking 9 out of 10 points......but for GD they would be sitting sixth. Have played 15 matches and sit at tenth in the table at 23 pkints

QPR with a 1-0 win over Aston Villa is now 4-0-1 in their last five games taking 9 out of 10 points......but for GD they would be sitting sixth. Have played 15 matches and sit at tenth in the table at 23 pkints
I saw that. Even smiled a little smile for you.

My youngest daughter would love to see the Queen team back in the EPL. Those were good days laying around with her watching those games.

QPRs five game point streak came to an end with a 1-0 loss to Blackburn. Exciting times at Loftus Road these days

USA v England on 15 November at Wembley. Game on ESPN 2 at 2 PM CST.

Still no head coach 12 months after Arena left. Management at US Soccer is a disaster

HUGE day in MLS today. All semifinal first legs. All day. My son has basketball games. This is what data unlimited on my phone is all about.

SKC v. RSL tonight. SKC out it's starting left back and replacement is with the national youth team playing. Moving Croizet over there, I'd expect. RLS is going exploit him for all he's worth. Besler's side of the field. If Croizet has trouble, then Ilie has to move down to provide cover and negates our best outlet and pivot for countering.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back