• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Defense gassed?

There was a very loud proclamation earlier this year that stated the B1G would have adapt to NU, not vice versa. That NU would force its pace on its opponents. Apparently you guys weren’t paying attention?

There was a very loud proclamation earlier this year that stated the B1G would have adapt to NU, not vice versa. That NU would force its pace on its opponents. Apparently you guys weren’t paying attention?

We were paying attention.

The B1G has adapted very well. It's stunning actually. All 11 non NU coaches will share the B1G coach of the year trophy for their nearly instantaneous adaptation to Nebraska's new style of play.

We were paying attention.

The B1G has adapted very well. It's stunning actually. All 11 non NU coaches will share the B1G coach of the year trophy for their nearly instantaneous adaptation to Nebraska's new style of play.
Wouldn’t be the first coaching staff that underestimated the competitiveness of the B1G.

Wouldn’t be the first coaching staff that underestimated the competitiveness of the B1G.

Penn State was supposed to dominate to conference when they joined. Didn't work out that way.

It's different football, but I do believe this staff can not only compete in the conference, but win the conference given some time. Way too many here rattled their brass balls and ran their mouths that this year wasn't going to be a step back and that Nebraska could win the West. Reality is 0-5. Reality is next year NU needs to get back to a bowl and continue to improve. Looking like 2020 is a realistic goal to compete for the West and maybe beyond.

There needs to be some definite changes, but I think the right personnel will go a long way. Let’s be honest, didn’t our first 5 offensive possessions yield about 3 points while our defense was hanging in there? We can’t just keep running our defense out after using up 45 seconds against a team like Wisconsin.

Lots of layers of suck right now.
I think what you are alluding too and what I think the desire is that if we havd consistent drives, even though shorter in drive time, quantity of drives will amount to more possession time. When we make mistake as we have it gives us fewer opportunities, but even worse it puts our defense on the field for a lot more time. When the defense catches up and can stop opposing offenses on a regular basis, you will see a lot more success on the score board. Does that makes sense?

Replacing failure - no matter the talent potential being removed - has a way of getting the message across to change or lose your job. I know what it's like in high school being shoved into a varsity game because we needed to churn time and the guy in front of me was too soft on running downs. So, yeah, coach put my 180 pound sophomore ass out there to replace a 230 pound guy. But when it came to brute drive blocking, that was sort of my cup of tea. Both of us beat out the senior that wasn't using technique. On the next drive he was back in because he knew the plays and I really didn't. My sophomore year was pretty much my first real year of learning football. It made sense to have the big junior that knew the playbook in for most of the plays. But in specific circumstances, put the inexperienced guy in. And in every instance that mattered, sit the guy not doing his job.

The glory days :)

1940sTI5x7Crisler_L.jpg

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back