• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Anyone Brew Beer

Red_in_Blue_Land

Oh my!
10 Year Member
Something I used to do a lot more in the past, but with all the micro-breweries around here, I basically stopped doing it about 12 years ago. Well, the kids and I were talking about brewing some root beer, we finally did it and man was it good.

So we cleaned up the bottles, carboys, stoppers and tubes, and decided to make a nice lager, got a kit (I cheated because of the rust) and went to work a little over a month ago. I just popped the top off of one and it is awesome, forgot how good a home brew was. Going to make a nice stout next!

Last edited:

Something I used to do a lot more in the past, but with all the micro-breweries around here, I basically stopped doing it about 12 years ago. Well, the kids and I were talking about brewing some root beer, we finally did it and man was it good.

So we cleaned up the bottles, carboys, stoppers and tubes, and decided to make a nice lager, got a kit (I cheated because of the rust) and went to work a little over a month ago. I just popped the top off of one and it is awesome, forgot how good a home brew was. Going to make a nice stout next!

Did from about 1988 until 2000 or so. Too much work and work travel and family related obligations reduced my free time to the point that I just start picking up six packs when I didn't have any home brew left. The variety of what was available back then is nothing compared to now, but I think some of my beers were better than most you could buy today. Brewers seem so enamored with trying to impart the maximum amount of bitterness, regardless of taste profile. Anyway, sold all of my brewing equipment, bombers, etc. back in '06 when I moved from Colorado to Virginia and didn't want to drag all that crap out only to have it sit in the attic collecting dust. I've thought a couple of times since about reviving the hobby, but I don't even have enough time to do the things I HAVE to do these days. Home brew supply stores are a rare breed in the parts of the country I've lived in since leaving Colorado, so I'd have to buy most of the supplies and ingredients on line. I think I'll just keep buying beer until things get a little less hectic, then I can reevaluate.

Did from about 1988 until 2000 or so. Too much work and work travel and family related obligations reduced my free time to the point that I just start picking up six packs when I didn't have any home brew left. The variety of what was available back then is nothing compared to now, but I think some of my beers were better than most you could buy today. Brewers seem so enamored with trying to impart the maximum amount of bitterness, regardless of taste profile. Anyway, sold all of my brewing equipment, bombers, etc. back in '06 when I moved from Colorado to Virginia and didn't want to drag all that crap out only to have it sit in the attic collecting dust. I've thought a couple of times since about reviving the hobby, but I don't even have enough time to do the things I HAVE to do these days. Home brew supply stores are a rare breed in the parts of the country I've lived in since leaving Colorado, so I'd have to buy most of the supplies and ingredients on line. I think I'll just keep buying beer until things get a little less hectic, then I can reevaluate.

I'll make a deal with you, Crab. You start brewing again, and I"ll drink it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back