• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

In State Recruiting Article

Section 104

Recruit
5 Year Member
I'm not posting a link because it is behind the Omaha World Herald firewall, but the article on this morning's front page is very interesting. I understood that there were more Nebraska kids playing back in the day, but not the depth of it as I was busy with school, babies, starting a career. If you get the hard copy of the World

Actually, no
https://www.aseaofblue.com/2013/6/1...a-brief-history-of-ncaa-football-scholarships
The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) was established in 1906 as the Intercollegiate Athletic Association of the United States. The name was changed to its current name in 1910. There was no control over scholarships for any sport, but there was a requirement that a school's athletes had to be enrolled in the school they played for. Football schools could offer as many scholarships as they could afford and many had 150 players or more.

1973 brought about the first limitations on football scholarships in order to free up money for women's sports after Title IX was passed by Congress in 1972 as part of the Equal Opportunity in Education Act. This caused the NCAA schools' presidents and athletic directors to push through a limit of 105 football scholarships. Additional reductions were made in 1978 (95) and again in 1992 which brought the limit to its present number of 85 and 63 for Division I-AA.

The article referred to in the OP was about the 90’s. So scholarship numbers and coaches were no different. In fact, as of January, NCAA allows an additional coach. And I would be surprised if TO had the “support staff” that current teams employ

I thought the article referenced Osborne's career, and not just the 90s. If not, my bad. I read it yesterday, and can't pull it up now. I wasn't alive at the time, but it was my impression that Nebraska used to have a freshman/JV squad (70s-80s?) that Solich at one point coached. I figured they would of had to have some additional coaches to help run those teams.

The freshman team was dropped, due to the NCAA, in the mid to late 60s,as I recall. I think that Frankie never did coach the freshman team. The freshman team had about 4/5 coaches and played a 4/5 game schedule.

The freshman team was dropped, due to the NCAA, in the mid to late 60s,as I recall. I think that Frankie never did coach the freshman team. The freshman team had about 4/5 coaches and played a 4/5 game schedule.
Actually I remember reading about Frank coaching the freshman team as well so I looked it up, 4 years 1979 thru 1983 Freshman Coach

Solich returned to college football at his alma mater in 1979, spending 19 seasons at Nebraska as an assistant coach under Tom Osborne: four as the freshman team coach, and 15 as running backs coach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Solich

Until the fall of 72, freshman were ineligible for varsity football. And Nebraska had a freshman team for another decade. I think this helped the walk on program in the 70s especially, because Nebraska high school kids got a year to compete with the scholarship kids and prove themselves, and scholarships were then available if successful.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back