• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Runningbacks: Primary Back or By Committee?

Crusty

Perfectly Unorthodox
5 Year Member
Hearing the new hype around Maurice Washington, the big potential around Greg Bell and the return of Tre Bryant a question has emerged to me. Will Nebraska have a primary back to lean on during the season or will Nebraska rely more on a committee approach?
Neither one is bad by any means. Having a consistent back to be your reliable go to is beneficial. Having that guy pop 4 to 5 yards a carry and slowly demoralize the opponents rushing defense and get 20 carries a game makes planning for the backups when they get in to relieve him a bit difficult whenever when you think, “Oh they will go with him in this situation.” Then boom a different back is in to throw a wrench in the cogs.
However having a rushing by committee has it’s obvious advantages as well. Keeping the backs fresh by rotating them somewhat equally makes things difficult for a tiring defense. Sure defenses will have a hard time keeping up with fresh backs coming in and out but when more backs getting more equal reps it can be easier to plan for as a coach since you are able to see what each back does more. I don’t see it happening but it makes it more difficult when each backs tends to be put in for more specific situations, the outside runner, the power runner that you need to bruise his way forward for 3 yards and the back that is used more for the passing game. Same problem can happen with the primary back situation but less reps from backups means less knowledge to go on for defenses.
Edit: The main question is; will the 3-4 back approach stay the same throughout the season with those backs getting relatively the same amount of carries and playing time or will a single back emerge as the primary back or at least a more favored back than the others?

We Nebraska fans love our runningbacks for sure, especially our 1000 yard rushers. However, with Frost’s system we might not see it, however I believe we are overall okay with that as long as we continue our tradition of a strong rushing attack. Odds are our running backs won’t become the face of the team anyway but will no doubt go to the starting quarterback. We are also used to that anyway, Frazier, Frost, Crouch etc...
What are your thoughts? Want a 1000 yard rusher? By committee approach? Little bit of both? Don’t care just want a good offense?

Last edited:
The staff has said they'll use 3-4 backs per game. Fresh legs approach.
I have read that, my thought is that will that stick throughout the season or will one back emerge as the primary/favorite or will it stay a true committee approach?

I have read that, my thought is that will that stick throughout the season or will one back emerge as the primary/favorite or will it stay a true committee approach?

My take was that was the game plan for their system in general. Now if you have one dude that is absolutely killing it compared to the rest in any given game, I'd guess they'd ride him for a bit and see what kind of numbers he could put up, but I'd expect to see a handful of guys with decent numbers by the end of the year rather than one headliner.

Would take a track athlete - like Killins at about 160 - to be able to run the reps at the pace they'll run. Most of our guys are bigger - muscles need oxygen. They'll have to do rotation to some degree.

They might use 3-4, but I would say the top 2 will likely get about 75% of the RB carries.

Different scheme from those that produce 1000 yard RB. RBs run, QB runs, wide outs come around and run, fresh legs are always in to keep up tempo, especially in the fourth quarter, etc. Very unlikely to have 1000 yard rushers, although some guys will have big days, though it will probably be different guys on different days.

Seems to me since this coaching staffs arrival is that they continue to say with current players and players they have/are recruiting is that they fit a specific position and or a couple positions. My thinking is that all the backs that have learned enough of the playbook will be playing throughout the game. Probably 2 or 3 in the same play. Just as they have said about the receivers. I do not care who gets the majority of carries just so they are going north and south.

They might use 3-4, but I would say the top 2 will likely get about 75% of the RB carries.

I'm hoping this staff is big on the 'hot hand' RB as well. I get frustrated when they'll pull a guy who's lighting it up because it's time to get the next guy on the bench his reps. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll all light it up so it won't matter....

Hearing the new hype around Maurice Washington, the big potential around Greg Bell and the return of Tre Bryant a question has emerged to me. Will Nebraska have a primary back to lean on during the season or will Nebraska rely more on a committee approach?
Neither one is bad by any means. Having a consistent back to be your reliable go to is beneficial. Having that guy pop 4 to 5 yards a carry and slowly demoralize the opponents rushing defense and get 20 carries a game makes planning for the backups when they get in to relieve him a bit difficult whenever when you think, “Oh they will go with him in this situation.” Then boom a different back is in to throw a wrench in the cogs.
However having a rushing by committee has it’s obvious advantages as well. Keeping the backs fresh by rotating them somewhat equally makes things difficult for a tiring defense. Sure defenses will have a hard time keeping up with fresh backs coming in and out but when more backs getting more equal reps it can be easier to plan for as a coach since you are able to see what each back does more. I don’t see it happening but it makes it more difficult when each backs tends to be put in for more specific situations, the outside runner, the power runner that you need to bruise his way forward for 3 yards and the back that is used more for the passing game. Same problem can happen with the primary back situation but less reps from backups means less knowledge to go on for defenses.
Edit: The main question is; will the 3-4 back approach stay the same throughout the season with those backs getting relatively the same amount of carries and playing time or will a single back emerge as the primary back or at least a more favored back than the others?

We Nebraska fans love our runningbacks for sure, especially our 1000 yard rushers. However, with Frost’s system we might not see it, however I believe we are overall okay with that as long as we continue our tradition of a strong rushing attack. Odds are our running backs won’t become the face of the team anyway but will no doubt go to the starting quarterback. We are also used to that anyway, Frazier, Frost, Crouch etc...
What are your thoughts? Want a 1000 yard rusher? By committee approach? Little bit of both? Don’t care just want a good offense?
In this offense you can do by committee and still have 1000 yd guy or two. Mainly because of the volume of plays.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back