• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2018 World Cup

What a match that was. Absolute effort on both sides as you would expect from a world semifinal. England is a totally different team now than two years ago...nobody is going to want to play them for the next four years, at least. They should get heroes’ welcomes back home! Of course it’s devastating to get this close and lose, but reaching the last four of a World Cup is a magnificent achievement. I am amazed by Croatia. Never imagined they would get this far but they are a top-class team with incredible skill, especially in midfield.

Now let’s find our own version of Gareth Southgate and get the USA to the last four next time!!

Agree on all. This team is going to be a force the next four years and a contender in 2020 even if its a winter Cup as its looking

Our Southgate is Jason Kries. Its time to bring him and stop hiring big name coaches.

Hearing rumors of Jesse Marsh to Werder Bremen, I think, so probably won’t be him as the next coach. I imagine they’re waiting until after the WC to announce, but they’ve got to have someone in mind already.

What a match that was. Absolute effort on both sides as you would expect from a world semifinal. England is a totally different team now than two years ago...nobody is going to want to play them for the next four years, at least. They should get heroes’ welcomes back home! Of course it’s devastating to get this close and lose, but reaching the last four of a World Cup is a magnificent achievement. I am amazed by Croatia. Never imagined they would get this far but they are a top-class team with incredible skill, especially in midfield.

Now let’s find our own version of Gareth Southgate and get the USA to the last four next time!!

Really like your post. But what these past few weeks have shown, if anything, is how far away USA is in reaching the semis in a WC. The world is really full of top notch footballers these days. USA seem to have lost ground to the Russia, Belgium, Sweden, Croatia's, etc. of the world over these past 4-8 years.

Last edited:
Really like your post. But what these past few weeks have shown, if anything, is how far away USA is in reaching the semis in a WC. The world is really full of top notch footballers these days. USA seem to have lost ground to the Russia, Belgium, Sweden, Croatia's, etc. of the world over these past 4-8 years.

I agree Gulati and all his mistakes etc put the USA in a deep hole and right now it still seems we are rudderless. We have another (new) head of US Soccer who is not a football guy and was Gulati's deputy. Also almost a year without a head coach and it appears no blue print where we are going. Unacceptable in a place like Englad or Germany as just two examples as it should be here.

We better get our butts into gear or we headed back to pre-90 US Soccer.

So yeah I agree we are in a deep hole and need a huge overhaul from top to bottom. Which it appears is not happening

American fans need to start caring and demanding more from the Federation or it will never get to the level of what we saw today

Last edited:

Hearing rumors of Jesse Marsh to Werder Bremen, I think, so probably won’t be him as the next coach. I imagine they’re waiting until after the WC to announce, but they’ve got to have someone in mind already.

Nine months without a coach and floundering around in nothing more than friendlies is not the way to do it

We don't need a big name European Coach who frankly in many cases wants nothing more than to pick up a final big pay check.

Look England finally figured out that was a loser scenario.

Hire a young up and coming American Coach (ie Kries or Marsh) and build it from the ground up. Oh and put someone in charge of US Soccer who has a clue what they are doing

Last edited:
I agree Gulati and all his mistakes etc put the USA in a deep hole and right now it still seems we are rudderless. We have another (new) head of US Soccer who is not a football guy and was Gulati's deputy. Also almost a year without a head coach and it appears no blue print where we are going. Unacceptable in a place like Englad or Germany as just two examples as it should be here.

So yeah I agree we are in a deep hole and need a huge overhaul from top to bottom. Which it appears is not happening

American fans need to start caring and demanding more from the Federation or it will never get to the level of what we saw today

Qualifying for the WC, especially in CONCACAF, should be a baseline expectation for the US. Have we ever made it past the Round of 16?

Very exciting match yesterday. Sorry your guys came out on the wrong side @Red Reign but England showed they are back to being one of the dominant forces in world soccer with their run this summer. The 2020 Euros should be extremely competitive and fun to watch.'

France has a huge advantage over Croatia, having an extra day of rest and the fact Croatia has gone to extra time in each of its three knockout stage matches. Plus, I think France is the better team overall.

Good discussion, and I agree with a lot. I thought missing out on the WC would kick some butts into gear with US Soccer, but I haven't really seen anything that would lead me to believe that's happening. Although, I am encouraged by the hiring of Earnie Stewart as GM for the USMNT.

I know this doesn't sit well with some, but guys in serious consideration for the US Soccer pool need to get over to Europe ASAP. Playing in your prime in MLS is not going to cut it if US Soccer is going to get better going forward. I was very happy with the team selection for the France friendly last month, featuring mostly European based players. That's not to say MLS doesn't serve a purpose, because IMO, it's a great way for 17-20 year olds to learn how to be a professional before taking a step to the bigger stage. After that, playing in MLS should not be the goal.

I went looking at some of the teams @Cardinal mentioned, to see where their guys were playing at the club level. Sweden and Croatia have almost no one playing in their domestic leagues, and almost all playing in top-level leagues in Europe. Russia is pretty much the only one where its players stay at home for club.

Good discussion, and I agree with a lot. I thought missing out on the WC would kick some butts into gear with US Soccer, but I haven't really seen anything that would lead me to believe that's happening. Although, I am encouraged by the hiring of Earnie Stewart as GM for the USMNT.

I know this doesn't sit well with some, but guys in serious consideration for the US Soccer pool need to get over to Europe ASAP. Playing in your prime in MLS is not going to cut it if US Soccer is going to get better going forward. I was very happy with the team selection for the France friendly last month, featuring mostly European based players. That's not to say MLS doesn't serve a purpose, because IMO, it's a great way for 17-20 year olds to learn how to be a professional before taking a step to the bigger stage. After that, playing in MLS should not be the goal.

I went looking at some of the teams @Cardinal mentioned, to see where their guys were playing at the club level. Sweden and Croatia have almost no one playing in their domestic leagues, and almost all playing in top-level leagues in Europe. Russia is pretty much the only one where its players stay at home for club.

Great points

If your going to Europe to play in a feeder league or basement dwellers in the EPL or Bundasliga it serves no point. Bottom line is like it or not is the perception of American players in Europe is not high. Which is why few if any end up on a top club. Playing on a bottom dweller fighting relaxation does nothing to enhance a career.

FWIW I think the stereotypical view of American players is wrong.

I am still of the mind we need a strong domestic league and will only get that way with our best players staying home

Other than that we are in agreement 100%

Last edited:

Very exciting match yesterday. Sorry your guys came out on the wrong side @Red Reign but England showed they are back to being one of the dominant forces in world soccer with their run this summer. The 2020 Euros should be extremely competitive and fun to watch.'

France has a huge advantage over Croatia, having an extra day of rest and the fact Croatia has gone to extra time in each of its three knockout stage matches. Plus, I think France is the better team overall.
I would have liked to have made the final it goes without saying, but how could you not be proud of this team? Wonderful showing and the future is being bright. The FA finally realized that a ton of changes needed to be made and look how it paid off. It was a floating disaster that was not going to get better unless they changed. US Soccer should take note because we are in a similar place that they were. Problem is we are floundering in the wind and doing nothing to fix the issue.

If your going to Europe to play in a feeder league or basement dwellers in the EPL or Bundasliga it serves no point. Bottom line is like it or not is the perception of American players in Europe is not high. Which is why few if any end up on a top club. Playing on a bottom dweller fighting relaxation does nothing to enhance a career.

FWIW I think the stereotypical view of American players is wrong.

I am still of the mind we need a strong domestic league and will only get that way with our best players staying home

Other than that we are in agreement 100%

I'm hoping the general perception of US players changes, but that will take many years. While I do agree that playing for 2nd and 3rd division teams isn't the way to go, I don't see any problem with guys playing for bottom dwellers in the EPL, Serie A, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, La Liga. I say that, because there are still a good number of MLS teams that are terribly run. It's easy to say that US players should stay in MLS, but playing for Chicago, Colorado, NE, NYCFC, DC, Columbus would be a waste of time (not to mention the teams that play home games on turf). I still think MLS can serve a purpose, but for me the purpose is to build up teenagers before they move on and provide National team depth.

I'm hoping the general perception of US players changes, but that will take many years. While I do agree that playing for 2nd and 3rd division teams isn't the way to go, I don't see any problem with guys playing for bottom dwellers in the EPL, Serie A, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, La Liga. I say that, because there are still a good number of MLS teams that are terribly run. It's easy to say that US players should stay in MLS, but playing for Chicago, Colorado, NE, NYCFC, DC, Columbus would be a waste of time (not to mention the teams that play home games on turf). I still think MLS can serve a purpose, but for me the purpose is to build up teenagers before they move on and provide National team depth.

I can tell you with family in England it has changed but not a lot

Then again as I told an English friend if Wayne Rooney (in his prime) had to play on a bottom feeder how good would he have been?

I am not saying some players should not go abroad and give it a whirl but I think in the long run we will be better off with a strong domestic league. Who ever the next coach is needs to understand and how important the league is to US Soccer. Its no coincidence how the national team has grown because of MLS

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back