• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Big ten Conference

GIFRRO

Scout Team
10 Year Member
I gotta say, I believe that the Big 10 is set up for a huge run of success over the next 5 to 10 years.

Right now, the Big 10 IMO has the best coaches in all of CF, by FAR. The SEC, pac 10, big 12............cant compete from top to bottom. yea Saban is the best and kirby and Mullen are very good. But our top few coaches are Meyer, Harbaugh, Frost, Franklin, Dantonio.......then throw in Crist at Wisky whose pretty darn good. the bottom feeder programs have Lovie Smith, who I believe will do a great job long term at Illinois eventually. The guy was a great NFL coach and knows his stuff. Took Bears to the Super bowl. Rutgers, Maryland and Minnesto ahve some young talented guys. Jeff Brohm looks like an up and coming stud at Purdue.

Best coaches of any conference and that equals success

If our bowl record was not a fluke you could be right. Sometimes when a conference is solid from top to bottom they beat each other up.

I gotta say, I believe that the Big 10 is set up for a huge run of success over the next 5 to 10 years.

Right now, the Big 10 IMO has the best coaches in all of CF, by FAR. The SEC, pac 10, big 12............cant compete from top to bottom. yea Saban is the best and kirby and Mullen are very good. But our top few coaches are Meyer, Harbaugh, Frost, Franklin, Dantonio.......then throw in Crist at Wisky whose pretty darn good. the bottom feeder programs have Lovie Smith, who I believe will do a great job long term at Illinois eventually. The guy was a great NFL coach and knows his stuff. Took Bears to the Super bowl. Rutgers, Maryland and Minnesto ahve some young talented guys. Jeff Brohm looks like an up and coming stud at Purdue.

Best coaches of any conference and that equals success

Yep, the Big Ten is pretty well stacked. I'd say Frost is second-tier at this point (and behind Chryst). At the same time, if Harbaugh isn't impressive this season, he'll be on a major hot seat. Dantonio is a better Big Ten coach than Harbaugh. Not every coach who is successful elsewhere is going to translate well in the Big Ten.

... which leads to Lovie Smith, who will likely never do well at Illinois. Odds are, he's gone within two years.

Last edited:
I'm not as down on Harbaugh as some. They haven't broke through in the Eastern Division race yet, but his first two seasons were both 10-3. Last year they dropped to 8-5 and a lot of people are making out like he's disappointing but they had to essentially replace their entire defense. Michigan should be quite good this year again. Problem is that MSU and OSU will be too. And PSU shouldn't drop much returning their QB. Their fan base would be nuts to sour on him early.

I'm not as down on Harbaugh as some. They haven't broke through in the Eastern Division race yet, but his first two seasons were both 10-3. Last year they dropped to 8-5 and a lot of people are making out like he's disappointing but they had to essentially replace their entire defense. Michigan should be quite good this year again. Problem is that MSU and OSU will be too. And PSU shouldn't drop much returning their QB. Their fan base would be nuts to sour on him early.
At Michigan none of that matters. If he does not find a way to beat OSU he will be gone.

Yep, the Big Ten is pretty well stacked. I'd say Frost is second-tier at this point (and behind Chryst). At the same time, if Harbaugh isn't impressive this season, he'll be on a major hot seat. Dantonio is a better Big Ten coach than Harbaugh. Not every coach who is successful elsewhere is going to translate well in the Big Ten.

... which leads to Lovie Smith, who will likely never do well at Illinois. Odds are, he's gone within two years.

I often wonder if we would still have Bo if we had stayed in the Big12-2-2+2. He seemed to be geared better for that conference as opposed to the B1G.

I agree best coaches top to bottom. I do think Braum, Dantonio, Crist, and even Ferentz should be ahead of Frost at the moment. I don’t ever see Lovie Smith being good at Illinois. I also don’t really believe Hairball is in any real trouble, the east division is hard and he’s recruiting good. Eventually Hairball will breakthrough. Eventually Frost will be number one on that list and force Irban into early retirement. GBR!!!!:Corn2::Koolaid2:

I agree best coaches top to bottom. I do think Braum, Dantonio, Crist, and even Ferentz should be ahead of Frost at the moment. I don’t ever see Lovie Smith being good at Illinois. I also don’t really believe Hairball is in any real trouble, the east division is hard and he’s recruiting good. Eventually Hairball will breakthrough. Eventually Frost will be number one on that list and force Irban into early retirement. GBR!!!!:Corn2::Koolaid2:
Really which one has an undefeated season anywhere?

Which had nothing to do with why they went 8-5.

Really which one has an undefeated season anywhere?
I’m not looking to argue but Ferentz has had some excellent seasons at Iowa, he’s developed three star offensive linemen at a high rate and sends them to the league. Hairball is a good coach period just kinda weird. I really think Frost will catch and pass half this list this year. I’m not going to compare two years at a group of five to what these other guys have done on a power five.

I’m not looking to argue but Ferentz has had some excellent seasons at Iowa, he’s developed three star offensive linemen at a high rate and sends them to the league. Hairball is a good coach period just kinda weird. I really think Frost will catch and pass half this list this year. I’m not going to compare two years at a group of five to what these other guys have done on a power five.
Ferentz has also had as many .500 or below seasons as he does 10 win seasons. 5 of each. Including 2 seasons worse than what we just fired our coach for.

Ferentz has also had as many .500 or below seasons as he does 10 win seasons. 5 of each. Including 2 seasons worse than what we just fired our coach for.
I understand that but he’s done a good job for a place like Iowa. I don’t think he’s a great coach. I basically haven’t seen enough out of Frost yet to anoint him. Hairball turned Stanford around and has a good winning percentage. Not to mention getting to a super bowl. Like I said Frost will pass most of these guys in year one. I’m definitely a believer in Frost, just waiting on the results.

I understand that but he’s done a good job for a place like Iowa. I don’t think he’s a great coach. I basically haven’t seen enough out of Frost yet to anoint him. Hairball turned Stanford around and has a good winning percentage. Not to mention getting to a super bowl. Like I said Frost will pass most of these guys in year one. I’m definitely a believer in Frost, just waiting on the results.
Fair enough

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back