• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Sporting News has NU Finishing Third in the West

It is just so difficult, but we have to wait to see how good the huskers can be this season. I hear all the hype. I hear all the realists. I dont know what to think. I am predicting 8-4, with a 5-4 conference record, tied with a couple others, losing to tOSU Wisc Meech and one disaster. If that disaster is Purdue or the other NU, then the huskers could be lower than 3rd. It is just so hard to look at each game and think that the huskers have not improved enough to beat all the teams in the west except bucky. If that is the case, then 9-3 is possible and third is very likely.

Purdue lost a lot to graduation from last year. They may actually take a step back this year.

I was a little surprised to see Northwestern predicted to finish so low in the conference. To hear most of the prognosticators talk you would think Pat Fitzgerald is the greatest coach of all-time, and that Clayton Thorson is the best QB since Johnny Unitas. Fitzgerald has been good, but certainly not great and Thorson is coming off a knee injury. I think Northwestern takes a step back this year as well.

This is reasonable. All the teams below us, should be below us, perennially. I expect we beat, Purdue, Northwestern, Minnesota, and Illinois THIS year. We hunt Iowa and Wisky.

We MAY pull off an upset of one of those two teams, and hopefully don't give one away we should win.

I can foresee a 4-5 conf record, which would put us at third or fourth in our division, historically. Maybe third, if we beat the 4th team, and hold the tiebreaker over them.

Dear lord baby Jesus, please allow football season to get here soon, Amen.

tenor.gif

This seems to be one of the more optimistic predictions from the national media. Some have us below both Purdue and NW - in part due to inexperience and the strength of schedule.

Maybe in a couple more weeks some prognosticator will predict second place, trying to ramp up something in the dog days of August.

Maybe in a couple more weeks some prognosticator will predict second place, trying to ramp up something in the dog days of August.
Ha! Exactly. Once Fall practice starts and BTN shows up on campus talking about speed, roster upgrades and AM's first step we will be world beaters.

Sporting News was the least accurate of 19 publications tracked last season.

But seriously, NU is such a wildcard this season, it's anyone's guess. #3 in the West would be outstanding!

Sporting News was the least accurate of 19 publications tracked last season.

But seriously, NU is such a wildcard this season, it's anyone's guess. #3 in the West would be outstanding!
This is exactly correct. Heck we are all over the board ourselves with the expectations. This is absolutely justifiable too given all the changes and what we did last year. I doubt many teams out there have such a spread of realistic expectations. We could realistically win 6 games or 10+. There is enough arguable points to defend either position.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back