• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2018 0L signee Willie Canty not coming to Nebraska

That is not good. At a position where you start 5 guys per game, when you don't take a single guy in a recruiting class (only took Canty for 2018 and he didn't make it here), you can put yourself in a world of hurt if you don't correct it. The best example I can give is our 2017 class where all we took was Elijah Blades in the DB room. He didn't make it here, and all of a sudden we are starting two average corners, and our depth for 2018 with Frost is terrible in that DB room.

I can glass is half-full this with you, and that is this current staff actually can take some JUCOs so it may not hit us as hard. But it is even more paramount now that we hit a homerun for our OL class in 2019.

That is not good. At a position where you start 5 guys per game, when you don't take a single guy in a recruiting class (only took Canty for 2018 and he didn't make it here), you can put yourself in a world of hurt if you don't correct it. The best example I can give is our 2017 class where all we took was Elijah Blades in the DB room. He didn't make it here, and all of a sudden we are starting two average corners, and our depth for 2018 with Frost is terrible in that DB room.

I can glass is half-full this with you, and that is this current staff actually can take some JUCOs so it may not hit us as hard. But it is even more paramount now that we hit a homerun for our OL class in 2019.
Yeah, I am starting to worry about that as well. The number I have heard on sports radio this morning is that NU needs 5 OL recruits for 2019. I know we have a number of offers out, but not sure how much interest there is from those 2019 recruits.

Maybe some walk-ons will develop this year to help provide depth over the next few years. At least, I hope so.

Last edited:
Yeah, I am starting to worry about that as well. The number I have heard on sports radio this morning is that NU needs 5 OL recruits for 2019. I know we have a number of offers out, but not sure how much interest there is from those 2019 recruits.

Maybe some walk-ons will develop this year to help provide depth over the next few years. At least, I hope so.
We have Forbes from the 2018 class that is a walk-on, but there was only one other OL I believe in that walk-on class. We are in the finalists for a lot of top recruits, but in my opinion unless something drastically changes, we won't get their commitment. The one kid already chose Tennessee as we were in his final 5. Vimahi has us in his top 8 but his "recruitment is still open". Ike out of KC has a Bama offer and weight may be an issue so we only get him in my opinion if other schools back off due to that. Benhart has us in his final 5 but he is a Wisconsin guy as of right now.

There's going to be a ton of new names on the board in the next couple months, and certainly another JUCO guy now that Canty didn't make it. We have to do well at this spot for 2019. Our 2018 class gave us no margin for error. Now, they weren't getting much traction for 2018 OL guys so I like they didn't just fill a spot to fill it. But they got blanked last year while Fisher, Walters, Held, Dewitt all killed it. We will see how Austin does here.

We have Forbes from the 2018 class that is a walk-on, but there was only one other OL I believe in that walk-on class. We are in the finalists for a lot of top recruits, but in my opinion unless something drastically changes, we won't get their commitment. The one kid already chose Tennessee as we were in his final 5. Vimahi has us in his top 8 but his "recruitment is still open". Ike out of KC has a Bama offer and weight may be an issue so we only get him in my opinion if other schools back off due to that. Benhart has us in his final 5 but he is a Wisconsin guy as of right now.

There's going to be a ton of new names on the board in the next couple months, and certainly another JUCO guy now that Canty didn't make it. We have to do well at this spot for 2019. Our 2018 class gave us no margin for error. Now, they weren't getting much traction for 2018 OL guys so I like they didn't just fill a spot to fill it. But they got blanked last year while Fisher, Walters, Held, Dewitt all killed it. We will see how Austin does here.

When you say we blanked in the 2018 class, are you counting Will Farniok in that statement? Not saying just getting 1 OL commit is good by any means.

When you say we blanked in the 2018 class, are you counting Will Farniok in that statement? Not saying just getting 1 OL commit is good by any means.
I was talking about for our new staff I suppose. But I like Will Farniok, think he will be good. Heck, he will play out of necessity tho if our fortunes don't turn a bit.

You would have to believe our shortage would provide some incentive to the ones looking for early playing time. Do you really want to go to Alabama and wait 4 years?

I was talking about for our new staff I suppose. But I like Will Farniok, think he will be good. Heck, he will play out of necessity tho if our fortunes don't turn a bit.

Got it. Hopefully we'll see some names pop up soon. Or they could just put Ryan Held in charge of OL recruiting.

Does anyone feel the depth for this year is affected enough to start moving guys from DL to OL? (Fyn Anderson, Chris Walker for example) This is more of a "we have to address this in our current recruiting class" issue from my point of view.

Does anyone feel the depth for this year is affected enough to start moving guys from DL to OL? (Fyn Anderson, Chris Walker for example) This is more of a "we have to address this in our current recruiting class" issue from my point of view.
I don't think so. Part of the reason we didn't go that hard after OL guys was because we had a ton of scholarship guys returning. In my opinion, we actually have a pretty solid 2 deep to choose from that can give us our 7 or 8 guys to ride with in the 2018 season.

First string:
LT - Jaimes - Sophomore
LG - Foster - Senior
C - Conrad - Senior
RG - Farmer - Senior
RT - Farniok - Sophomore

Second String:
LT - Sichterman - RS Freshman
LG - Raridon/Barnett/Bando
C - Miller - RS Freshman
RG - Wilson - RS Sophomore
RT - Gaylord - RS Junior

2019:
LT - Jaimes - Junior
LG - Miller - RS Sophomore
C - Farniok - RS Freshman
RG - Wilson - RS Junior
RT - Farniok - Junior

Bando, Sichterman, and Raridon give us decent depth for 2019 as well before we bring in our JUCO guy who could very well start. 2018 is a big year for Raridon.

They will figure it out; however, it is a problem anytime you take a hit on the piece of the offense that is so critical to inexperienced QBs not getting killed......

This team will go as far as both the OL and DLs can take it this season.....

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back